Search Unity

Discussion What's the best engine release for Quest 2 performance

Discussion in 'VR' started by overfort_games, Jan 31, 2023.

1. overfort_games

overfort_games

Hello everyone

We are a team working on the Quest 2 and we are looking for the best performance release of the engine. Having experienced (for a current project) both URP 2020 LTS and 2021 LTS, there is a huge performance difference between the two versions, just by upgrading/downgrading the engine. We are not sure what the cause is and that confused us.

What battle-tested release would you recommend to use in 2023 for a new project targetting Quest 2?

2. DevDunk

DevDunk

Which subversions do you use?
    Unity 2021.3.16+ should have some performance fixes for 2021.
    Also if you use depth try force depth prepass in the urp asset.

If the settings are optimized for both and it's still a performance gap, make a bug report and attatch both project so it can be fixed!

I personally use 2021LTS

3. AdrielCodeops

AdrielCodeops

I've read in several places that 2019 + old input system + builtin renderer is unbeatable for now.

4. DevDunk

DevDunk

2019 is unsupported by now and you cannot even get the quest pro working without hacky solutions

5. AdrielCodeops

AdrielCodeops

Yet a lot of people i know are working with that version on VR due to performance.

6. DevDunk

DevDunk

I know, but I wouldn't say 5-10% (don't know the exact numbers, but doubt it'll be more than that) would be worth the risk of no support, and no future headset releases (quest 3 probably will sell quite good).
    I've also seen many devs claim 2019 is superior but didn't bother checking the settings in later versions and optimizing those

7. overfort_games

overfort_games

We use 2020.3.40f1 and 2021.3.8f1 with a 30 fps gain on the 2020 for no clear reason, as mentioned the project was just downgraded with no modifies, all the usual vr performance settings are the same. Depth is disabled. Are there release notes mentioning substantial performance increase for 2021.3.16+?
    Thanks for the help DevDunk

8. DevDunk

DevDunk

There are, but I don't have the time to filter through anything. since 2021.3.11 or something multiple version got some performance fixes. Is the 30 fps gain also seen in gpu and cpu utelization? Or is it because vsync pushes from 72 to 31 fps?

If you don't need any 2021 features you're probably fine on 2020 for a bit. If you still have the project try 2021. If you still have a performance issue please make a bug report and attatch both projects so it can be fixed, which is a win for everyone

9. overfort_games

overfort_games

Can you mention the sources? Thanks adrielhrc

10. overfort_games

overfort_games

Box projections would be very nice to have. Anyway thanks for the suggestion! We will try the latest 2021 patches and in the worst case submit a report

DevDunk likes this.
  11. DevDunk

DevDunk

Thanks! Let me know

12. AdrielCodeops

AdrielCodeops