Search Unity

What's the best Audio format to use in Unity?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Psyunity, Dec 26, 2014.

1. Psyunity

Psyunity

I am working on a project and my target platform is mobile and I have quite a few sound files to add. In the hundreds. I do have a audio converter and for best performance I want to use a format that is best optimized for mobile, but still keeping good sound quality Most of the audio clips are 30 secs or less and are looping audio. With a few exceptions of a few being over 3 minutes.

Here are the list of formats I can convert to

AAC- Advanced Audio Coding (*.acc)
    AC3- Dolby Digital AC-3(*ac3)
    Flac-Free Lossless Audio Codec (*flac)
    Mp3- MPEG Layer-3 Audio *(.mp3)
    m4A- MPEG-4 Audio (*.m4a)
    OGG-Ogg Vorbis Audio (*.ogg)
    WAV-Waveform Audio (*wav)
    ALAC-Apple Lossless Audio Codec (*alac)

2. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

disregard my post - I thought you were asking about texture format - woops

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
    Psyunity likes this.
  3. Psyunity

Psyunity

Thanks, and that's ok :) Texture format I just use .jpg and regular normal maps. Those are ok right? I noticed .tga is used quite a bit and is those better than .jpg's of tiff files?

4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Don't use .jpg; it's a lossy format. Use a lossless format like .psd or .png. That goes for audio as well...don't use lossy formats. If you use compression in Unity, then you have compression on top of compression. The exceptions being .ogg or .mp3, which are used as-is, depending on platform. It would be a good idea to read the docs.

--Eric

Ony and Psyunity like this.
  5. Psyunity

Psyunity

Hmmm never thought of it that way ;) A great majority of my textures already came in .jpg format, so would it be possible to covert them to .psd or .png format with PS? Although I'm not sure that will makeany difference since they started out as .jpg. I'll go read it right now.

6. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Right, if they were .jpg at any point, the information was already lost so converting to another format won't do any good.

--Eric

MD_Reptile and Ony like this.