Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

What's new with 2021?

Discussion in '2021.1 Beta' started by Crayz, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Crayz

Crayz

Hello, has there been any presentations or blog posts relating to 2021 and features that we should test?

makaka-org, Kolyasisan and Peter77 like this.
  2. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

3. Rowlan

Rowlan

Before I install: Are splines available yet? Only thing I'm interested in so far :)

Ruchir likes this.
  4. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

No splines on alpha 2.

Rowlan likes this.
  5. tonycoculuzzi

tonycoculuzzi

honestly, same :D

futurlab_xbox likes this.
  6. MrPaparoz

MrPaparoz

7. Rowlan

Rowlan

@LeonhardP do you have an ETA in which version splines might become active?

8. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Latest info I've seen so far (from August) was that they are planned for 2021 but there's no estimate on timing yet:
    Would be curious on updated time frame as well as now we can't even tell if it's planned for 2021.1 or 2021.2 :)

Rowlan likes this.
  9. Ethwood

Ethwood

It's already available to use in 2020.2b

futurlab_xbox and SolidAlloy like this.
  10. MrPaparoz

MrPaparoz

Is there a special settings I'm missing. Seems like I can't use pattern matching, yet.

11. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

If you use visual studio, make sure you have your visual studio package up-to-date (from Unity Package Manager). C# 8 support was added in 2.0.3 I think (and 2.0.5 package is latest currently).

12. MrPaparoz

MrPaparoz

Oh, I use VS Code. Maybe that's that.

13. Rowlan

Rowlan

Does alpha 5 expose splines yet?

tonycoculuzzi likes this.
  14. dzamani

dzamani

Alpha 6 is out, if anyone in the future finds out what this means I would like to know:
    • Scripting: Script Compilation is now incremental across player builds.

15. Refeas

Refeas

That should mean that it you make multiple builds in a row, only the changed scripts/assemblies will be recompiled each time. So if you haven't changed any scripts, but just some assets, it will not perform new script recompile at all.

Ruchir and FernandoMK like this.
  16. Rowlan

Rowlan

Alpha 8 is out and still no splines :( Can you at least tell us if it'll be in 2021.1 or 2021.2 or later?

MousePods likes this.
  17. GeoEuclid

GeoEuclid

seconded for splines release. Would be nice to be updated when it happens.

18. jonas-echterhoff

jonas-echterhoff

Unity Technologies

As @Refeas already correctly explained or guessed: This means that we now have a proper build system which drives script compilation, which can track inputs of and dependencies between individual build nodes, and thus can determine what actually needs to be rebuild when making a build - and cache build results for different platforms and configurations so that less rebuilding is needed.

In practice, this means:
    -If you change a script in an asmdef, only that asmdef or any code depending on that asmdef gets recompiled.
    -If you switch between platforms, or between debug/non-debug mode, only code which has not yet been compiled in that configuration before gets recompiled.
    -If you build a player, scripts only get recompiled if they have changed since the last player build of that configuration.

This is the first step in a bigger project to move player builds to an incremental build system as a way to avoid redundant work and make building faster that way.

19. dzamani

dzamani

Awesome, could you talk about the missing steps toward a more complete incremental build system? Like what will be developed next?

20. jjejj87

jjejj87

Splines?

21. Rowlan

Rowlan

What he said. Could Unity please at least give a rough estimate? Is it days, weeks, months or 2022?

22. Ruchir

Ruchir

I don't remember where I read this but splines are pushed back because of the editor overlay overhaul taking place 2021.1a10 onwards

23. FernandoMK

FernandoMK

This interface review in the editor, will certainly make a difference for those who work with spline. (all tools are being modified to support this, probuilder, polybrush, etc ...)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
  24. frarf

frarf

Yup, this is sadly indeed the case.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/uni...ne-tool-enough-is-enough.988851/#post-6599305

Logic is sound but it definitely is a big loss. Splines are probably 2022.1 now at the soonest, but I'm sure not even the developers know for sure.

futurlab_xbox and FernandoMK like this.
  25. Rowlan

Rowlan

Beta got released. Splines yet?

26. 00christian00

00christian00

If I remember well It has been said elsewhere that spline won't come because they first need to redesign the editor gui framework before doing them.

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  27. jjejj87

jjejj87

This is non-sensical. What's editor GUI Framework got to do with developing Splines? Are we trying to pull another no grass for HDRP thing?

28. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

It does make sense. How you build editor tooling for splines is tied to the editor GUI.

29. 00christian00

00christian00

As I said, I'm going by memory, I can't find the post anymore.
    Maybe it is related to this "core engine and creator tools":
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/2020-roadmap-q-a-core-engine-creator-tools.852253/#post-5628856

I remember somebody asked to release a working spline and polish later and they replied that they want to have a solid background to build upon.

30. FernandoMK

FernandoMK

They are following the roadmap: https://blogs.unity3d.com/2020/08/13/the-road-to-2021/

- We already have the visual script (old bolt) integrated from 2021.1 beta 1
    - As for multiplayer, MLAPI is gradually being integrated into the editor.
    - And the SRPs teams are currently focused on optimization

31. 00christian00

00christian00

I just noticed the explanation has already been linked by user frarf 2 post above mine. I will post the response of gabrielw_unity here:

32. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

What really surprises me all the time how unprepared Unity comes when it comes to things like these considering they've literally planned the editor tooling redo for this many years ago (just look at the first presentations of editor GUI modernization, before it mainly became reskin).

NotaNaN and Ruchir like this.
  33. Baste

Baste

If you try the scene overlay build that's available, that feels like a huge overhaul. Pretty nice feature as well.

34. FernandoMK

FernandoMK

I forgot that. it really is one of the features that are coming now .... it is part of the editor's modernization

35. Marks4

Marks4

@jonas-echterhoff Will this issue make it to the 2021 build? You guys already fixed the 2 other bugs that I reported related to accessing the camera on webgl builds: https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/webgl-android-cant-switch-device-camera-on-android-webgl and https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...g-from-portrait-to-landscape-on-android-webgl.

There is only that issue left before the camera becomes fully supported on mobile webgl.

Also very happy that you guys fixed the gyroscope issue that I reported. Can't wait to have gyro support on mobile webgl!

36. Rensoburro_Taki

Rensoburro_Taki

What's new in Unity 2021?.....
    .... it should finally work!

> delta-fix time problem since 2019.x and still in 2020.x - on all platforms! Everything stutters. Most noticable in VR!!! All together = not suitable for production, LT'S or not! Fixed in 2021.x! confirmed.

> all 3rd party developers from the asset store faced tremendous problems with depth texture bugs in URP on all 2020.x, to keep their plugins working again.

Two full unusable versions that offer you features that you can't use even after two versions!

New 2021 bugs? I don't wanna know -.-

I think I have to reconsider my professional path if 2021 will fail again. 2021.1 is finally out now. Testing all my projects in the next couple of days.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
    Ruchir and Marks4 like this.
  37. Marks4

Marks4

Thanks for the laugh hahaha

phildaboy likes this.