Search Unity

What's my best option?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Krazoa, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Krazoa

Krazoa

Hello everyone, I've had a game idea for a while now and there are several things I need to work out. I'm a complete beginner when it comes to code but I am doing my best to study it ^.^

The game itself will be linked a forum and the forum login will be the same as the game login. However you can only create an account through the forum. There will be a lot of glowy objects too and I know a few games where the glowy part or particles vanish when there are too many in one place. I'm also trying to figure out if I'd need a big web server for the members or a big game server to hold the members from there. I'm also trying to work out my best option engine wise but also which language I should use ^^; I'd really appreciate any help ^^; it's just to get me on the right track and then I can begin preparing it all X3

2. Adeno

Adeno

I'm glad that you're interested in game development! Unfortunately as you've said, you're still very new to "code" or programming, and this will be a problem trying to do what you want. Although you have seem to have a nice idea, it seems also complicated that would require intermediate to expert levels of programming.

To get things started, you'll need to learn the basics. I think I'll just recommend this book:

1. Unity 3.x Game Development Essentials by Will Goldstone

This book makes use of both C# and Unityscript (or Javascript, dunno what to really call it). I guess it would make as a really great introductory book for you. It also teaches a few important ideas about how things work. The book guides you in how to create a simple game as it teaches you the important concepts involved that would be useful to you later on in more complicated projects. This should help you decide which programming language to study. From there, you'll have to study how your chosen programming language really works by doing further research and of course putting into practice what you've learned.

I don't know much about networking and online related programming so I can't give you any advice in that part of your idea.

Good luck and have fun:)

3. Krazoa

Krazoa

hehe thanks for the advice X3 I shall get that book as soon as I can ^.^ I knew my game project would be overly complicated for a beginner xD so I shall start off with mini exercises ^^ I shall take in all of your advice X3

4. TehWut

TehWut

try my link in the sig. Best tuts for beginners and novices alike!

5. Endgame

Endgame

That Will Goldstone book, and the walkerboys tutorials are a great start, I also recommend the Burgzerg Arcade tutorials. You can find plenty of tutorials in the Teaching area. Unity is a terrific engine to work with. Don't worry about choosing C# vs Unityscript at this stage, I think more important is choosing the right tutorial series to get you started.

When a game idea is bursting from your brain, involving complex networking structures and graphical limitations, it would be best to make notes of all your ideas in a notebook, while you follow the tutorials and examples. It is far too soon to be worrying about network architecture and graphical limitations, when you are only an entry level programmer developing a game on your own. Fear not tho my friend, with diligence you will get there.

6. Meltdown

Meltdown

Sounds like you're trying to break the speed of sound flying before you can even walk.

Start with some basic tutorials in Unity.
    www.unity3dstudent.com has a great set of introductory step by step script tutorial videos

Once you've done 2 or 3 complete game tutorials you'll and been through the unity3dstudent stuff you'll have your bearings and have a better idea how to approach things.

7. Doddler

Doddler

The simple 2d shooter tutorial over at 3d buzz was what ultimately got me to break into unity. It's incredibly easy to follow, and teaches you all of the basics you need to get going on more advanced topics. It's probably the best starter tutorial I found.

8. Meltdown

Meltdown

9. Adeno

Adeno

I'm a C# guy, but while reading the Will Goldstone book which puts both C# and Unityscript/Javascript code one after another, I somehow understood how to convert Unityscript/Javascript into C#. I was just surprised to find myself suddenly thinking "Well in C# this would go here..." when before I really avoided Unityscript/Javascript tutorials just because it wasn't what I invested my time in learning some time ago.

I really love that Goldstone book, now I'll be able to make use of non-C# tutorials as well:)