Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

What's "Curl error 56"?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Peter77, Dec 16, 2019.

1. NateeDawg

NateeDawg

i am getting the same error on 2019.2.17f1, i am able to still do everything but i am afraid ill just waste my time an whatever i work on will just get corrupted.

2. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

No, that would not be related, this error doesn't "corrupt" anything, and is just an annoyance (granted it crashes the Editor for some users, likely Pause on Error is selected). My last post mentioned a work around.

Tarrag likes this.
  3. NateeDawg

NateeDawg

oh ok i thought i was screwed until an update xD. thank you very much i will let you know if it helps me.

4. NateeDawg

NateeDawg

never mind, didn't notice you needed pro to disable that.

5. NateeDawg

NateeDawg

not sure if this will help with anything but it only seems to pop up when pressing play on game and opening pro builder window.

6. Lorin_Atzberger

Lorin_Atzberger

@NateeDawg when your post is the latest, generally try to use the edit button instead of adding more replies. I had the same issues myself, and the analytics thing only made the error go away and the crashes more often. The only thing that really helped was to downgrade to 2019.1.14f1. I haven't had a crash/error since doing this.

7. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

No, not any longer. as I mentioned. I've heard varied reports if it works though.

8. calpolican

calpolican

Well, the explanatioin is super simple: Unity is watching everyting you do and shipping it to its servers using your bandwith. Whenever it fails to connect with their server, the engine throws an error. Either it can't connect because you have a firewall against that type of big brother behaviour, or you just are poor an have a bad connection.
    In my case, I had a problem with my internet provider and my internet was ultra slow. I can confirm that solving the internet issue made the problem go away (the error, not unity spying).
    I say Unity is turinning into a S***ty company because lately it seems that is really milking the cow. It's clearly outsourcing a lot of the work; is raising the prices for paid costumers; and it's also focusing in shinny stuff to attrack teenagers rather than the stability and improvement of stuff that are still neglected. It spys on you without even asking, enforcing what should be off by default. I have great respect for the Unity stuff (the people that actually do the work); but the people on the top... not so much.
    Reminds me when Autodesk took over Maya. Perhaps is time to start looking for an open source alternative for the next project.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    d1favero and RadioactiveBullfrog like this.
  9. NateeDawg

NateeDawg

I think i have found the problem, when i open material editor in probuilder and go to change out one of the slots with another material, my game crashes every time. Hopefully this will help find a fix.

10. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Are you referring to Curl Error 56, or a separate issue?

11. ari_starknight

ari_starknight

Same error on 2019.3.0f3. I can't disable editor analytics - in what version does personal have access to this?

12. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

13. terids

terids

I've tried 2019.3.0f3 and 2020.1.0a17 and get this error continuously. The editor doesn't crash for me, so far.
    I disabled analytics at id.unity.com, but the error is still there, even after a PC reboot etc.

14. JDelekto

JDelekto

Hi Jeff,

I just wanted to weigh in here since I too was recently getting the "Curl error 56: Receiving data failed with unitytls error code 1048578" error from time to time. I am using Unity 2019.2.18f1 Personal (and under Edit > Preferences > General, the "Disable Editor Analytics (Pro Only)" is grayed out and the box unchecked. I verified that the event was indeed sending information out by capturing the HTTPS traffic with Fiddler.

I took your suggestion and went to id.unity.com (of course, using the "Account > Go to account" dropdown in the Editor toolbar takes me to the same location. On the Web page, under "My Account", I selected "Privacy" and in the "Editor" panel, clicked on the "Edit Your Privacy Settings" link. When presented with the message box that reads, "Your account shows that you are currently opted-in Click below if you would like to change your status", I clicked on "Change Status". It then read that I was currently opted out.

I restarted my Unity Editor (which still had the ability to disable analytics disabled and still unchecked). I thought that this had worked, but after several minutes, the problem resurfaced. Hopefully, they will either open up the preference to disable analytics for the Unity Personal users or at least fix the TLS security issues either the Editor or the remote site are exhibiting.

Cheers!

15. Slarti-42

Slarti-42

I got the same error while running my project overnight.

Curl error 56: Receiving data failed with unitytls error code 1048578

It showed up after 1 hour and 24 min while the project was running. I am not aware of the impact, but since then the project is running since then - 12 hours and 10 min and still going.

I am not using any unity specific networking code.
    Just as an info at the moment.

16. sniffle63

sniffle63

Just packaged and sent a pacman game that's throwing the error. Hopefully, it can help

17. better_walk_away

better_walk_away

My console still throws this error randomly in Unity 2019.3.0f6. My editor didn't crash, it is just an annoying error message.

d1favero and talofen like this.
  18. talofen

talofen

+1

19. luckyer07

luckyer07

same here :(

20. inicosia99

inicosia99

But it's only for pro memebers

21. Tarrag

Tarrag

Disabling editor analytics didn't work for me (Unity 2019.3.0f3). No crash but maybe cos I have Error Pause disabled. Happening most times but not every time when Attaching to Unity and Play on VS to debug UnityWebRequest coroutine. As the hours pass by I still can't get the code to work, it's encouraging @JeffDUnity3D said the error is just annoyance

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  22. Klaus-Eiperle

Klaus-Eiperle

I have a pro license, editor analytics deactivated, error pause deactivated and see this error for the first time today. I use 2019.2.19f1. I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the project itself.

23. Theresagill

Theresagill

I'm getting this error when I'm using the tutorial 3D Game Kit. I've just started following the kit and I can't get the moving platform into the scene as the tutorial directs. I;m using Unity 2019.3.0f

24. ProtoTerminator

ProtoTerminator

Looks like this was fixed in 2019.3.1 if the patch notes are to be believed.
    Editor: Do not show Curl error from UnityWebRequests, performed by Unity itself. (1210000)

naviln and meshin0 like this.
  25. terids

terids

upgrading to 2020.1.0a23 this has disappeared too.

26. VersionJ

VersionJ

I'm trying the Ruby's Adventure: 2d Beginner and i got this error aswell. I'm using 2019.2.18f1 and i have no idea what this means cause I'm just learning. Is there a solution yet? Thank you for any help in advance :)

27. Edy

Edy

If you're using some DNS filter (Pihole) or filtering proxy (Privoxy) ensure to whitelist this sever:

config.uca.cloud.unity3d.com

That fixes the issue, also in pre-2019 versions.

28. gaopeter

gaopeter

Once I shutdown the networks, the unity Editor paused. after network restores connected, the editor restores work well.

unity 2018.4.19f1

error 56: Receiving data failed with unitytls error code 1048578

InvalidOperationException: Failed to receive data
    UnityEngine.Networking.DownloadHandler.GetCheckedDownloader[T] (UnityEngine.Networking.UnityWebRequest www) (at D:/unity/Modules/UnityWebRequest/Public/DownloadHandler/DownloadHandler.bindings.cs:126)
    UnityEngine.Networking.DownloadHandlerBuffer.GetContent (UnityEngine.Networking.UnityWebRequest www) (at D:/unity/Modules/UnityWebRequest/Public/DownloadHandler/DownloadHandler.bindings.cs:168)
    Unity.Messenger.Utils+<>c__DisplayClass5_1`1[T].<Get>b__1 (UnityEngine.AsyncOperation operation) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.messenger@1.0.7-preview/Editor/Scripts/Utils/Http.cs:35)
    UnityEngine.AsyncOperation.InvokeCompletionEvent () (at D:/unity/Runtime/Export/AsyncOperation.cs:21)

29. Jamez0r

Jamez0r

Had this error with 2019.3.0f5. Tried "Disable Editor Analytics", restarting computer, etc.

Updated to 2019.7f and it seems to have fixed it.

30. cloverme

cloverme

I'm on 2019.3.13f1.... still exists. <hands raised to the sky, pleading for the Unity gods to fix in 2020)

31. Aurimas-Cernius

Aurimas-Cernius

Unity Technologies

What is the error exactly? And when does it happen?

32. amateurd

amateurd

Happens sometimes on 2019.2.21, even with analytics off. Curl error 56: Receiving data failed with unitytls error code 1048578

33. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Can users confirm if this only happens after your PC wakes from hibernation?

34. amateurd

amateurd

That's the only time I've seen it.

JeffDUnity3D likes this.
  35. amateurd

amateurd

Ah and just now had it after a proper restart but my Internet connection had dropped (Windows).

36. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

And Unity was running while the connection dropped after a restart? Trying to find repro steps...

douglas128 likes this.
  37. amateurd

amateurd

I started up Unity straight after restarting Windows, connection dropped by the time Unity had started, got the error, then connection restored itself after a couple of minutes.

douglas128 and JeffDUnity3D like this.
  38. rohdev

rohdev

Unity 2019.4.4f1
    I'm getting this error after i imported Google AdMob package

Curl error 56: Recv failure: Connection was reset

39. better_walk_away

better_walk_away

Now I got this error instead: Curl error 56: Recv failure: Connection reset by peer
    And I think it's caused by the package Advertisement 3.4.9.
    After downgrading it to 3.4.7, the error no longer appeared.
    I think it's probably a bug.
    Edit: No, it appeared again, I was wrong.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  40. xjjon

xjjon

Can reproduce this way

Enable Cloud Diagnostics
    Play game in editor
    Unplug/ disable internet
    Cause an exception

41. wanfei

wanfei

I have the same error. i just leaving the game running for around 10 minutes without any network requests causes the next network request to fail with the Curl error 56: Receiving data failed.Please help me.

42. playbarbados

playbarbados

Yes.
    In my project, Im testing the with the unity editor running for hours.....and often leave it.

My screen goes sleep after 1 min....
    PC goes sleep after 10 mins...

When I return to a running unity, the error pops up

43. msafa160754

msafa160754

I got this warning after the setup google play games plugin and I keep getting it. Please fix it it's really frustrating

44. msafa160754

msafa160754

Curl error 56: Recv failure: Connection was reset --- > I dont have a error number. And after I setup Google ad mob plugin i get this error doubled

45. SharpAccent

SharpAccent

Hi
    I'm getting:

on a build, not in the Editor. Here's the relevant log entry:

(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Modules/UnityWebRequest/Implementations/TransportCurl.cpp Line: 815)

//Not sure if the rest are related but here they are

Setting up 4 worker threads for Enlighten.
    Thread -> id: 7e9c -> priority: 1
    Thread -> id: 9f90 -> priority: 1
    Thread -> id: 4238 -> priority: 1
    Thread -> id: 8520 -> priority: 1
    ##utp:{"type":"MemoryLeaks","version":2,"phase":"Immediate","time":1605026237873,"processId":38348,"allocatedMemory":234327,"memoryLabels":[{"Permanent":40},{"NewDelete":216},{"Thread":144},{"Manager":1552},{"GfxDevice":224424},{"Physics":80},{"Serialization":40},{"String":354},{"PoolAlloc":56},{"Sprites":1024},{"GI":296},{"VR":1344},{"Secure":4237},{"Subsystems":96},{"VirtualTexturing":424}]}

46. WickedRabbitGames

WickedRabbitGames

Deeply annoyed that this is continuing to happen and that there is no resolution. I get the error repeatedly over the course of a work session. I have editor analytics turned off. I don't get crashes that I can connect to the error, but that means nothing.

d1favero likes this.
  47. avsaninwork8

avsaninwork8

same issue Version 2020.2.4f1 Personal

Attached Files:

48. EdwinLyons

EdwinLyons

So, we've been seeing the same thing when we build the game - and in our case, this is actually breaking the build - it fails to complete properly.

We'll see something like:

Code (csharp):
    1. (Filename: Z Line: 0)
    2. Curl error 56: Recv failure: Connection reset by peer
    3. (Filename: ./Modules/UnityWebRequest/Implementations/TransportCurl.cpp Line: 813)
    4. Curl error 56: Recv failure: Connection reset by peer
    5. (Filename: ./Modules/UnityWebRequest/Implementations/TransportCurl.cpp Line: 813)
    6. Curl error 56: Recv failure: Connection reset by peer
    7.  (Filename: ./Modules/UnityWebRequest/Implementations/TransportCurl.cpp Line: 813)
    Followed shortly after by:
    Error building player: 3 errors.
    The number of curl errors we see varies between 2 and 3 - but the number of errors shown in this message always matches the number of Curl errors - so they must be related.

This always happens shortly after a Google Play Service Resolved Post Process script runs:
    Code (csharp):
    1. Will apply attribute value replacements:
    2. ${applicationId} --> <bundle id>
    3. UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_Log(LogType, LogOption, String, Object)
    4. UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogFormat(LogType, Object, String, Object[])
    5. UnityEngine.Logger:Log(LogType, Object)
    6. UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)
    7. Google.Logger:Log(String, LogLevel) (at Z:\tmp\tmp.Loyh5konAN\third_party\unity\unity_jar_resolver\source\VersionHandlerImpl\src\Logger.cs:124)
    8. GooglePlayServices.PlayServicesResolver:Log(String, LogLevel) (at Z:\tmp\tmp.glyoHcYR53\third_party\unity\unity_jar_resolver\source\AndroidResolver\src\PlayServicesResolver.cs:990)
    9. GooglePlayServices.PlayServicesResolver:ReplaceVariablesInAndroidManifest(String, String, Dictionary`2) (at Z:\tmp\tmp.glyoHcYR53\third_party\unity\unity_jar_resolver\source\AndroidResolver\src\PlayServicesResolver.cs:1296)
    10. GooglePlayServices.PlayServicesResolver:PatchAndroidManifest(String, String) (at Z:\tmp\tmp.glyoHcYR53\third_party\unity\unity_jar_resolver\source\AndroidResolver\src\PlayServicesResolver.cs:1335)
    11. GooglePlayServices.PlayServicesResolver:OnPostprocessAllAssets(String[], String[], String[], String[]) (at Z:\tmp\tmp.glyoHcYR53\third_party\unity\unity_jar_resolver\source\AndroidResolver\src\PlayServicesResolver.cs:1049)
    12. System.Reflection.MonoMethod:InternalInvoke(Object, Object[], Exception&)
    So I noticed that this started happening when we got a new Wifi router. Switching back to the old Wifi router fixes this issue - but obviously this isn't ideal! I've tried turning off features on the router such as the firewall - but this doesn't help. I've not noticed any other issues with connections via this router.

My gut feeling is that this may relate to Google Play Services's analytics as on the builds that fail, there's lots of mentions of Google.EditorMeasurement in the callstacks, but not in those that don't - but why that would be affected by wifi network changes, I don't know?

These builds are all happening on Mac.

49. d1favero

d1favero

Exactly. Nothing works anymore in unity. This error appears everyday in any version after 2019 for me.
    Navmesh, terrain, the render pipelines, lightmapping, all workflow blocking annoying messages (GI.Tick, EditorWindowUpdate...). After 10 years using unity seems a better move to look after a new engine.

50. VikingSettler

VikingSettler

Wait.. This still hasn't been fixed? are you kidding me..
    Working on a project, and now the same error happens here.

Wow..