Search Unity

What's a reasonable price you'd pay for FPS shooter AI?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by drw58, Nov 5, 2014.

1. drw58

drw58

Assume the following about the AI package (a pack of scripts and components that all work with each other):

- Compatible with / Requires Mechanim for animations
    - Multiple team bots
    - AI that "learns" from defeats and adjusts to enemy skill
    - Bots and chase, shoot, run, hide, surrender, etc...
    - Not compatible with Playmaker or other similar apps
    - Requires some knowledge of programming to fully customize, though simple FPS games can be created without any programming

What's a reasonable price range for this? $5-10, $15-25, $50+? etc...
    What would you pay (if at all) for something like this?

2. calmcarrots

calmcarrots

3. MrBrainMelter

MrBrainMelter

tree fiddy.

Kinos141 likes this.
  4. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

5. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

The FPS AI package on that website is $50 in the asset store. Were you referring to something else?

@vengefulentertainment what drives price up is efficiency :D Having bots that learn and have those behaviors is nice, as long as they're cheap to run and you can have ~100 in a network game without much lag then you can go for $10+

Nanako likes this.
  6. Aurore

Aurore

7. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

8. randomperson42

randomperson42

Rain, if I remember correctly is for pathfinding - the OP is talking about full shooter AI - which is much more difficult.
    Correct me if I'm wrong.

9. Aurore

Aurore

Ah my bad, still a cool thing for free though.

RT_Jester likes this.
  10. THoeppner

THoeppner

Rain is much more than just pathfinding. It includes a complete Behaviour Tree Editor and everything you need to make this to a full working AI.

But its correct that you have to model you different behaviours by your self. There are no such behaviours like Wander, Chase or Patrol out of the box.

RT_Jester likes this.
  11. THoeppner

THoeppner

@vengefulentertainment:

I don't think that its possible to say how much someone is willing to pay. It really depends on how many different behaviours the package contais, how customisable they are, if you can use them out of the box, if they are compatible with legacy animations or Mecanim....

If all this circumstances are fullfilled and the package is easy to handle and well documented than its really worth some money. Try to find similiar packages and check how much they cost.

I'm thinking this is a really challenging project you plan. Good luck ;)

SunnyChow likes this.
  12. Archania

Archania

Rain is free and they have sample projects that actually do patrol, chase, etc. Better check out their thread or watch their tutorials. Will give you a better understanding of what it is capable of.
    given more advanced things will require you to build your own behavior trees but it is all there just waiting for you.

RT_Jester likes this.
  13. KingMuffin

KingMuffin

one fifty

14. ippdev

ippdev

Here's hoping ya' all get similar offers for your work.

15. malosal

malosal

Can you give more information? Its hard to price something like that. For example would they be as smart as AI in a AAA shooter?

16. Kinos141

Kinos141

Depends on how easy it is to setup and how clean the code it to modify. If it's not, then $15-$30. If it is, easily $90, but with heavy marketing and/or a free version for consumers.

Also, how easy would it be to hook mecanim animations?

17. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Hello everyone! Jester from Rival Theory here (makers of RAIN and Squad Command).

First off, thank you all for your support of RAIN! RAIN will continue to be free because we feel there needs to be a standard toolset for great AI creation.

I have a few things for those of you interested in having AI in your FPS:

1. RAIN engine is free (but you already knew that). Use it to create every part needed for FPS AI.
    or
    2. We saw a need for a standard set of reusable components found in almost ALL fps games. So we used RAIN to create them and now their available to you.

Say hello to Squad Command: Advanced Warfighter AI

DEMO

Video:

Let me know what you think, I'll be more than happy to answer any questions you have. Or visit our forums to see what others are saying.

--Talk to you soon!
    Jester

18. SunnyChow

SunnyChow

not enough information
    hard to tell

19. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

What information are you looking for? Let me know and I'll be happy to answer any of your questions!

20. Nanako

Nanako

personally i'd be interested in compatibility/interoperability with other pathfinding packages on the asset store. Particularly A* Pro as i'm likely to be using that in the future.

iirc taking full advantage of unity's default pathing requires Unity Pro, which is out of some people's budget range

21. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Correct. RAIN offers nav mesh support standard which is huge for developers that can't spring for Unity Pro.

RAIN is both modular and fully integrated. So mix and match any third party pathfinding system you'd like and still use RAIN's behavior, motion, animation, perception, memory, and custom systems.

Nanako likes this.
  22. Nanako

Nanako

Why is RAIN free? What's your agenda/profit here?
    it looks very well put together and presented for altruism

RT_Jester likes this.
  23. Nanako

Nanako

Oh and could it theoretically handle a dynamic environment made mostly of destructible floors? eg, making enemies walk around holes that appear at runtime instead of falling into the void.

24. Prime

Prime

Rival Theory is trying to raise the bar for great AI-driven characters across the industry. For us, that starts with putting the best possible tools into the hands of as many developers as we can (RAIN). It continues with supporting the community through free support in tutorials, samples, and forums, and through paid products like the Squad Command: Advanced Warfighter AI package that @{RT}_Jester mentioned. We have many more breakthrough products coming over the next 6 months - some free and some paid. Maybe not altruistic, but hopefully developer friendly.

Nanako and RT_Jester like this.
  25. Prime

Prime

Definitely a feature coming to RAIN.

Nanako likes this.