Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

what?

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by RustyFlash, Feb 23, 2015.

1. RustyFlash

RustyFlash

Just updated to RC3 and now when I compile to iOS, I get a splash screen saying "Made with Unity - FREE VERSION"......

It isn't!

2. DanSuperGP

DanSuperGP

Weird, I just upgraded to RC3 and did an iOS build... and it did not happen with mine.

Is it Unity iOS Pro as well?

GibTreaty likes this.
  3. Waz

Waz

Even if it was, wouldn't that be a bit confusing to customers - they might think "FREE VERSION" refers to the App itself.

4. RustyFlash

RustyFlash

I am building using rc3 and it is unity pro (has to be for access to the beta).

When you built to an iOS device, did you append or replace the project? I used replace and now get the splash screen saying "free version".

I am not using iOS pro, but even so, I am a paid up unity user and now my app is either made to look 'cheapened' or to look like it is free. Either way, it is not desired.

5. elbows

elbows

If you don't have an iOS pro licence then its quite normal to have a splash screen. However I agree that the choice of wording seems poor to say the least.

6. RustyFlash

RustyFlash

Also. Prior to rc3 I happily used my own splash screen.

All this testing and feedback and NOW I get lumbered with an inappropriate splash screen. Grrr.

It just makes it look like I have lumped together a game in the free version. I have not. Been a paid user for a long time. The old splash was fine as it was and acceptable (mostly). Though I do feel that splash screen modification should be a feature of unity pro itself (as I first believed when purchasing) and not splintered into more licences.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  7. DanSuperGP

DanSuperGP

I didn't do append or replace... it was the first time building that particular app to iOS. I have iOS Pro however...

I do think that putting "Free Version" on the splash screen isn't so nice.

8. Waz

Waz

So it seems UT's solution to the Pro mobile addons being too expensive is to fundamentally change the Unity Pro product after I have purchased it to try to force me to buy the overpriced addon. Fortunately for me my game is mostly sold on PC.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  9. DanSuperGP

DanSuperGP

I agree completely about too expensive. The consumer laws thing... I'm not as sure about

10. RustyFlash

RustyFlash

I am not sure it is too expensive for iOS and android pro versions. If I wanted the extra features that they deliver then I would certainly purchase them. Currently, I don't need them. But... The splash screen itself should not really be segregated from the main pro licence. It should be part of unity and not part of extra licences. Just my tuppence worth.

11. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

That's what anyone can say about any single feature from PRO that they really need.

12. Waz

Waz

The point is, it seems they're changing the splash screen to try to attack Pro+iOS-basic users. If they insist on playing "attack existing customers" (all here bought Unity 5 Pro), we can also play "insult Unity in the credits". Respect is a two-way street.

13. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

I haven't seen the splash yet (can someone upload a screenshot please?), but I don't think it's an attack on free users or a way to force them to upgrade to PRO. I think it was a marketing attempt to advertise Unity as a free-to-use engine.
    Was that a good attempt? Probably not. I still haven't seen the splash to judge.

14. elbows

elbows

Yes please post a picture.

DanSuperGP likes this.
  15. DanSuperGP

DanSuperGP

I am, I'm quite ok, as an individual, paying $1500 out of pocket for Pro... but $1500 more each for Android and iOS is ridiculous.

Devil_Inside likes this.
  16. Waz

Waz

It's patently false for Unity Technologies to claim my game was "Made with Unity Free Edition". My game was made entirely with the Pro Edition, then recompiled for iOS. I barely use the iOS and Android editions at all. It is not Unity's place to be making assertions to my customers about how I made my game.

17. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

I've just built a small test scene using Unity Cloud Build, and I'm not seeing any splash screen at all. Can someone post a screenshot of the splash?

18. Rene-Damm

Rene-Damm

Sorry for the mixup with the splash screen. This is fixed in the next build. No hidden plot or attempt to hijack your users here. Just a plain bug.

19. RustyFlash

RustyFlash

Hmmmm. I sense a conspiracy. :)