Search Unity

1. Unity 2018.3 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Want more efficiency in your development work? Sign up to receive weekly tech and creative know-how from Unity experts.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Build games and experiences that can load instantly and without install. Explore the Project Tiny Preview today!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Want to provide direct feedback to the Unity team? Join the Unity Advisory Panel.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice

What would you like to see on the Unity Asset Store?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by caitlyn, Mar 18, 2011.

?

Which assets would you like to see on the Unity Asset Store?

1. Art Packages - Mobile/Web

23.8%
  2. Art Packages - Desktop

34.9%
  3. Complete Projects - Mobile/Web

18.6%
  4. Complete Projects - Desktop

23.1%
  5. Scripts/Script Packages

45.7%
  6. Extensions

37.1%
  7. Shaders

28.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. RadioFolk

RadioFolk

I would like to see more camera effects and shaders that support HD RP in unity 2018

2. devoncode

devoncode

Sure I'd love to see even more stuff in the Asset Store but I'm much more interested in an improved Asset Store experience such as better content management and speed of items I've already purchased or downloaded. I'd also like to see groups of products that work well together as well as more advanced search features.

JBR-games likes this.
  3. R1PFake

R1PFake

Im not sure if this is the right place to ask but does anyone have a animated 3d model of a meerkat? I can't find any of these on the asset store, so if anyone has one please send me a PM for details.

4. Supergeek

Supergeek

Feature request:
    - Ability to favorite a publisher, so I get informed when they release something new.

Bug/Performance:
    - Manipulating my Lists is tedious. We could use dropdown lists for moving items between lists, since manipulating long lists is tedious and very slow.
    - I have one list that is much, much slower to update than other lists when I make changes to it.

5. roger0

roger0

Do people buy single models? Most of the popular models i've seen have been in large "packs" with dozens if not more models included.

This is kind of hard for artist because they need to wait until they accumulated a ton of assets (which could take months) then sell it all at once. These packs are also not very expensive.

To add to that, 3d models aren't nearly as popular as scripts and extensions..

6. AkiraWong89

AkiraWong89

@roger0
    Yeah. You are right, as a 3D game art assets publisher like me sometimes I feels like wanna cry. More and more models available on the store means the value becomes lesser hence selling cheaper and cheaper. Same goals apply to game industry, back in 30 years ago game development was a mysterious and hard-to-get-in job. Time flies and technologies evolved, now everybody is able to design their own game easily, more new games are available on the market in a rapid growing rate. When something quantity increased, means the value is dropping. Same concept apply to currency.

Scripts packages are more popular because they sell an unique solution which is hard to implement yourselves in most cases and it's useful for everyone like Rewired, Fingers, Bolt, MeshBaker, Obfuscator, PlayMaker and so on.

But don't be sad. When there's dead end, somewhere should hide an exit. If not selling models for game industry, maybe can turn the direction to architecture to sell some high poly furniture etc. I believe property projects opportunities are always around us everyday.;)

roger0 likes this.
  7. TreborJones

TreborJones

As a designer, I'd like to see more tools for building up meta games easily, leaving me more time to build the core experience.

For instance, there doesn't appear to be (I've done a bit of searching) Clash Royale/Golf Clash style meta-game projects, or at least some of the systems that make them up. So Chests, timers on those chests, items/cards to drop, storing players received cards and feeding those into unit stats. I'd like to be able to spend more time on the core game and have the data, UI screens and meta game systems easy to put together. Appreciate it get's complicated where all those areas are intertwined.

erichey and puppeteer like this.
  8. RuinsOfFeyrin

RuinsOfFeyrin

I would like to see more complete packages for humanoid/creature models. I would happily pay more money for better packages, or add-on packages.

What do i mean?

So this weekend I was looking for models to use for the characters (player and npc) in a game im working on.
    Here were my complaints with pretty much everything i found on the asset store.

1) Not enough animations. Most models come with the basics (walk, run, attack, die,etc ), but that is about it. Now i know there are lots of animation packs, and mocap data out there, but I would prefer animations that 'just work' with the model 100% no issues then worry about piecing together animations from different packs, and then tweaking them to look right on the model i want to use them on. To me personally i would rather pay more for a model (or addon for a specific model) where i know everything 'just works' then go and and mess with other things to make it work.

2) Not enough skins. Most models include a small handful of skins, which is nice, but again I would gladly pay more money for more skins, either in the pack or as an addon package.

For models that are supposed to be used as a character / npcs you literally can not have to many skin options. If I'm making a village I don't want every 5th base NPC looking like every other npc. Obviously this depends on how your models are setup for how many/how important this is. If the skin for the model has the clothing/equipment in it (like some of the minecraft clone models) its very important that you have a WIDE range of skins. If the base model is 'naked' it becomes less important, but providing a wide range of skin tones becomes important, especially if you need to represent different races.

For creatures, again I dont want every creature looking the same, the more skin variations the better. I would gladly pay extra for skin packs for existing models to help increase the diversity of their appearances. Ideally at minimum I would like to see 5 skin variations.

3) Lack of Model Customization - Most models do not include any sort of customization for the base model itself such as different heads, ears, bodies, whatever. This goes a long way in helping npcs and player characters feel 'unqiue'. Beyond swapping body parts, pretty much no models take advantage of morphs, which is depressing as well.

4) Equipment options - Again, i know there are lots of options on the asset store to fill this roll, but what they are all lacking is the 'know it just works' factor. I would gladly pay more / buy more packs for equipment I knew would 'just work' with the models that I am using and had the same artistic style.

5) Animation Controllers (Mecanim Graph) - Pretty much no model ever comes with a pre-setup mecanim graph for properly controlling the animations. This is one of those things i could easily see being an add-on pack that a pretty penny is charged for. The time saved from having a controller that was made for the models and animations would be priceless.

So there you have it. The general theme of what I would like to see is 'more options' for existing model packs, and I would gladly pay more for it. Time is money as they say, and the time saved by having everything 'just work' and look cohesive is truly priceless to me.

DerDicke and devoncode like this.
  9. dirkjacobasch

dirkjacobasch

Looking for high quality racing spaceships with cockpit etc. for a first person racing game. No low poly stuff. I searched a lot in the asset store and on other platforms, but I can't find anything. Everyone make pew pew fighterships but no racer. Yes I could delete the guns, but a fighter ships does not look like a racer. Fighter ships are a totally different kind of spaceship.

10. CreatorTheta

CreatorTheta

Hmmm, you've given quite a nice breakdown of what's missing. See I'm here because I want to know what people might be after so I can make something worth a damn. Something than stands out, and helps add to my experience as a 3D modeler.
    Though I suppose my issue with this would be time for most of your suggestions, for most 3D modelers. THOUGH, this can be circumvented by breaking up projects and sending them off as individual builds, since that would be viable. (Like the "add on" idea would be great so long as it's kept within reason.)
    I actually like the idea of multiple skins, and didn't think of that to be honest, myself. Since I assume 3D modelers usually make one skins for one model, and don't consider how the model's basic framework would need to adaptable to that. THOUGH, this brings up of making skins that would be better if slightly altered 3D models were also added to actually make them something more unique. I'd rather put the effort in to actually do that, if it meant a better quality and more design freedom.

Though, I wonder more about model customization. I feel it can be done, just needs a base to work from that's solid, with the focus on breaking the model up and allowing these segements to swap inbetween, though it may look a bit clunky I suspect.

There's alot I want to reply to here, but mainly I want to grab note of what you've said, because I can really use that to make something awesome.
    Thanks mate. I'll credit you for being one of the guys who's feedback here helped a guy out in making something in the future.

11. Dekimpod

Dekimpod

I need more HQ 2D Characters with emotions. Most of all I expect them from ClayManStudio. Since I adore their style of icons and textures.

12. Serinx

Serinx

I've had a look for a generic UNET multiplayer (LAN/Online) template but can't seem to find one. If I've missed one, could someone please link me to it?

If there isn't one, do you think there would be much interest if I were to create one myself?
    Basically it would just be a shell with a few examples that allows people to plug in their game without worrying about all of the initial setup. Obviously they would still need to set up their core gameplay logic.

I would want it to include the following
    -example menu with singleplayer (training with targets), LAN and online matchmaking
    -authoritative server
    -ability to host dedicated or listen server
    -example lobby with ready buttons and team assignments (automatic teams for matchmaking)
    -example game (just cubes shooting balls at each other or something)
    -teams within the game

13. Rowlan

Rowlan

I'd like to see how long a sale of every individual asset is going on.

It's really annoying to see a sale happening on a new asset, you check it out for a day by reading about the dev, reading forum, trying free assets of the dev ... and the next day when you want to buy it, the price is up.

14. Thrawn75

Thrawn75

Hi Rowlan, in the case of personals sales the Submission Guidelines mandates the sales period to be included in the description:

15. Rowlan

Rowlan

That is only theoretical. Unity doesn't seem to care about it. eg I took the first new asset I found:

https://assetstore.unity.com/packag...ds/polygon-mini-fantasy-character-pack-122084

That's all there is:

DISCOUNTED FOR INITIAL RELEASE.
    GET IN QUICK!

It might be though that in your link as "description text" they mean what they will see when the developer describes the sale to them. Not what we all see on the store.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  16. OlliIllustrator

OlliIllustrator

There is a catch here---
    Unity 5 Pro users, that do not need or want to get into the paid 2017 subscription, cannot install a Unity 2017x free version to check or upload assets, at least not on the same machine and the same user account.

Thats a real frustrating problem for me, as asset publisher as well as as asset buyer.
    More and more publishers do not bother to publish a 5.6x version although most assets would be usable under 5.6x and I cannot download them .

And as publisher I cannot check for 2017 compatibility (without begging my daughter to let me use her laptop to install U nity 2017 free under her name).
    Right now I cannot justify to buy into the subscription just for the purpose to download assets or check my own assets, as the project I am working on commercially is stuck on 5.6 anyway.

So my pledge is the other way around: please, publishers: download a Unity 5.6x version and check if your asset works there too, then upload another assetbundle for 5.6x users to download. It is no problem to upload to the same asset from multiple Unity versions. Users will automatically then get the assetbundle that fits their version.

I assume there are more developers out there stuck with Unity 5 pro for a while longer. So this means more potential business for publishers. I see hardly any reason why models or basic scripts assets that work in 2017 should not work in 5.6.
    Leave out the demoscenes scenefiles if they do not convert backwards.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    twobob, JBR-games and blackant like this.
  17. OlliIllustrator

OlliIllustrator

I totally second this, I have the situation right now where the first release of an asset has a mistake (actually a file that was not supposed to be in the bundle and slipped Unity review) in it and there is no way to contact the customers and notify them of the solution, and it takes a looong time until the asset Update reaches the store.
    It would be really practical to have an area of the storepage that can be updated immediately with messages and announcements without passing the usual asset release process.

Oh, and btw.: the asset store publishing tools really need a preview of what files are being uploaded to the store. It is like black magic right now, press upload and pray that the right files and nothing else is included. Something like the when you create a normal asset bundle and press "no dependencies" would be cool. Then you could uncheck anything that accidentally would upload in the bundle and lead to rejection. Since the approval process takes so long it is really a bummer when that happens.

JBR-games and blackant like this.
  18. chingwa

chingwa

@Ollillustrator I'm able to install and use all versions of Unity, from my 5.x pro version to the free versions of 2017.x and 2018.x, all on the same machine. I'm not sure what trouble you're having, but it should be possible to load 2017 to check assets.

That being said I do agree with your main point about 5.x still being a viable Unity version for a lot of people. And I agree that whenever possible Assets should be uploaded for 5.6 (at least, if not earlier), and most assets probably are still compatible with 5.6 with perhaps a small amount of code changes. I do expect that compatibility to be edging away soon though, considering all the drastic changes in 2018.

19. TonyLi

TonyLi

I think he was talking about legality. I think legally you're not supposed to run Pro and free versions on the same machine. But if you're doing it to support customers on the Asset Store, and not for your own projects or work-for-hire, Unity might be OK with it.

20. chingwa

chingwa

That is likely referring to pro and free from the same edition. My 5.x pro perpetual license is self-contained. One of the many benefits of buying software instead of renting it. :)

twobob likes this.
  21. MadFishGames

MadFishGames

Guys, What would you like too see on asset store in terms of Networking. What system in networking engine you guys are interested, What particular system should be improved?

22. Serinx

Serinx

@MadFishGames Hey I actually posted recently asking if there were any multiplayer templates around, here's what i was after.

-example menu with singleplayer (training with targets), LAN and online matchmaking
    -authoritative server
    -ability to host dedicated or listen server
    -example lobby with ready buttons and team assignments (automatic teams for matchmaking)
    -example game (just cubes shooting balls at each other or something)
    -teams within the game

If I don't see one come up then this will be my next project.

23. MadFishGames

MadFishGames

Hey, Most of these features are already in my to-do list :D

1a. I'm doing very polished Menu with Matchmaking, Friends List and more examples for demo.

1b. Well, This is about your skills, It is easy to do this type of Training. Starting off with Match, It's normal match, Only exception is It's made for only one player. players = 1; now about map, you can make a custom scene for training, where it's only local player who plays, and things happen around him. map = "example map", but if it's still not making enough difference to be called as a training match, you can assign custom property, customProperties[0] = "training". then when server reads it, and processed, it knows what to do (well, you write the logic then). (Codes are example ofc)

1c. Good point! :D I'm working on it.

1d. Well, Of course!

2. Good point, But don't forget that any additional information, other than packet's data/header itself increases size of the packet. But I can make it optional for developer to require auth token, optional on TCP as well as on UDP and both together.

3. It's already here, Working pretty well, Only thing left is to make it optional whether you want only TCP, only UDP or both at the same time.

4. Team assignments are made in custom properties. You can assign team to a player, like this playerProperties[0] = "team1" (Codes are example ofc)

About the READY button. Once again. playerProperties[1] = "ready" or "not ready" :D or 0 or 1. Your choice.

About the LOBBY, again, matchProperties "state" = "lobby" or "started" or "ended", updates happen by server, and "started" depends on if all player properties are assigned as "ready", You guess the point :D

5. Of course.

6. As I mentioned, For each player, By properties define if is teammate or not.

If you have question why this many "properties" are rolling around.
    - Because if you want make game SOLO, TEAM, or something NEW, you don't have to be restricted. You need maximum flexibility. some games don't even have teams, some games don't even need teams, RPG games, Everyone is independent, so RPG's developer doesn't need to make "playerTeam = null" to avoid teaming. We need maximum flexibility.

24. Serinx

Serinx

@MadFishGames That all sounds great, any idea when you'll be releasing this?

25. MadFishGames

MadFishGames

Soon (not very, but...) I guess, There is ALOT to think while coding and it takes some time, When you think it's done, It's just first line of whole entire system :D Especially when it comes down to flexibility, You really have to think of every possible situation.

Right now I was just thinking about "authoritative server" feature. What about other cheat prevention tools, Like detecting if new position is way far from old position, and kick the player?! I'm saying this because authoritative server will need ticks, and ticks are whole entire different system. I can implement it though, But I have to think about that carefully. Maybe at least as an optional feature... But wouldn't anti-cheat system solve the issue of speed hacking? Let me know what you think

Serinx likes this.
  26. Smart-hawk1

Smart-hawk1

Are you allowed to use particles from Unity tutorials if they are not the main aspect of your asset? (Just for just case)

27. OlliIllustrator

OlliIllustrator

Hmm---- this was definitely not possible when I last checked, at least not for me. I have to check again and see if stuff has changed, but my last experience was that Unity does not allow (and technically prevents it, not only a legal thing) to have Unity 5.x pro Perpetual licence and Unity 2017/2018 free installed on the same machine. I tried this just a few months ago.
    You cannot get a Unity free licence when you have a Pro version of Unity 5.6 on the same Unity User account.
    If you use 2 different user accounts on the same machine it will also not run the newer version if it finds a Pro Version of 5.6 (a perpetual licence).

I know that at some point of time backwards compatibility will be hard to keep up, though I do not see any reason why model or animation assets could not be compatible for a long time.
    At least I would kindly beg asset devs: do not delete working Unity 5.6 versions of your asset when making an update that only will run in a newer version:) If the Unity 5 version was good then it will still be useful to Unity 5 users now, only without the new features then. Better then no version at all.

28. RuinsOfFeyrin

RuinsOfFeyrin

The issue with this is that more often then not people do not read the full description, if they read it at all and would be likely to miss the fact that 'newer' features are not available in older version, which typically translates into complaints and bad reviews for publishers, which is why they tend to remove the older version.

29. BigYetti

BigYetti

I would like to see the 'New' asset store site go bye-bye. Or at least not be pushed to use it at every turn. What's so special about the new site over the 'Old' site? To me at least, the 'New' site is a downgrade in user experience. The 'Old' site is laid out better, is faster to navigate to what your looking for, and most navigation can be easily accessed directly from the first displayed content. It just makes sense, at least to me. The new site eats up screen space for nothing and thinks it knows what I want with its 'Recommended For You' in my face. (no it really doesn't know what I'm looking for, its just wasting my navigation time.) It puts huge icons all over the place. Users of the asset store aren't children that require a picture at 'every' turn. Utilize the space and layout in a meaningful way. If your pushing a 'New' site to replace the old one, please make it 'Better' then the old one or at least even up in terms of user experience.

Change just for the sake of change isn't innovative.

RoyalAllen, tcmeric and JBR-games like this.
  30. OlliIllustrator

OlliIllustrator

Yeah, it is a sign of the time that no one reads anything any more it seems:)
    Anyway, I would prefer it that way at least.
    Today I made a download of all my assets with Unity 5.66 to my harddisk, just to make sure:) A really massive download as I have bought hundreds of asset packs over the years .

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    JBR-games likes this.
  31. OlliIllustrator

OlliIllustrator

I have also today made a fresh installation of unity 2018 as free version under my own account and it seems Unity has changed the policy.

I could run Unity 2018 free on the same machine as my Unity 5 perpetual and under the same account.That was definitely not the case in the past.

So at least I will be able to check and download asset with 2018 now, even if my professional projects will remain 5.6 for quite some time (and why not, 5.66 is rock solid stable :)).

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    twobob and JBR-games like this.
  32. OlliIllustrator

OlliIllustrator

I totally agree, The new site is unpleasant on a PC system . It is unclear to me why the description text has to be folded out after a few lines. Probably made by someone who does not like to read.
    It is better on mobile, but that is about it. On a big screen it is just plain ugly and less information on the screen then in the old store. I keep switching back to the old store all the time.
    (The old one is also not exactly a piece of beauty, but it is at least functional. ).

RoyalAllen, tcmeric and JBR-games like this.
  33. JBR-games

JBR-games

Last i ckecked it was nearly unusable on my mobile device. No zooming .. But agreeded that old site was much better. #notmyassetstore

RoyalAllen likes this.
  34. Flurgle

Flurgle

Just wanted to say that I really appreciate the improvements to the asset store.

First of all, it's roughly as good as the old site now (now with sortable publisher drop down, asset search in the editor, etc), but looks better, so that's a great place to be.

Secondly, the asset store loads up in the Unity editor a LOT faster than before. It used to take up to a minute to show my assets, now it's mere.

35. Smart-hawk1

Smart-hawk1

anyone

36. Serinx

Serinx

AFAIK you can use Unity's assets in your own games so I don't see why not. Worst case, unity will reject the asset if it looks like a flip.

37. SickaGamer

SickaGamer

I would like to see pre-built dungeon packs and not "build your own" as well as fully created worlds. As a part time dev (hobby) and family man, cutting out the custom level creation would save a lot of time for me.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  38. Atzig

Atzig

I'd like Unity to take more control of their store. Getting a little tired of spending money on assets that don't work as you'd expect, assets that get deprecated from the store and being left with little to no recourse.

JBR-games, tcmeric and SickaGamer like this.
  39. DGordon

DGordon

I wouldn't mind higher quality human characters that are actually set up with blendshapes already to handle facial emotions and phenomes. Right now there are lots of environments, shaders, monsters, etc etc ... but you want to have realistic humans that can speak? For the most part, go make your own.

Furthermore, I would like to see "cinema" quality assets on the store in general, since Unity is no longer _just_ about gaming.

I wanted to use Daz for some cinema stuff, but I couldn't get any of the beard props to export with blendshapes that matches the face. All-in-all, it would be great to have a better pipeline for people, ranging from standard fantasy/sci-fi, to more historical time periods, etc.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  40. TonyLi

TonyLi

Have you tried Morph3D? They're Daz models, adapted for Unity.

41. DGordon

DGordon

Its a very small subset of the Daz stuff. They didn't have the outfits appropriate for the time period I needed, not to mention I'm also not interested in special shaders that are required to use the characters. I just want normal high-quality characters that work.

It was a good attempt, but didn't work out for what I needed. Not to mention, they couldn't figure out how to port any beards over from Daz that would work with the blendshapes (same issue I was having), and that killed my ability to use them from the start. Daz itself has the quality and props for cinema stuff (also don't need to worry about the licensing), but not all of the props followed their blendshapes outside of Daz3d itself, and their tech support tried helping, but made it clear that they don't officially troubleshoot getting stuff out of Daz.

Its still come a ways from a few years ago (when I wanted to do a classroom of kids, and realized there were almost _no_ children on the store at the time), but compared to other asset types, its still pretty lacking.

42. tawdry

tawdry

Hello
    I would like to see the restriction removed on whether or not you can download a package when your unity version does not match the version the asset was published with. I'm still on unity 5.6 and cant upgrade with my 32 bit setup to a 64 .Many of the packages I have wanted to try out and been unable are 3D models which would have no issue running.Could we not rather have a system that recommends and warns the user that it is suggested to be using such and such a version of unity

43. dirkjacobasch

dirkjacobasch

Good idea, but then the store have to differentiate between models, skyboxes or audio and other assets.

44. DragonShadow

DragonShadow

The ability to favorite Publishers on the Asset Store so I get news about their new releases and updates would be awesome.

45. RoyalAllen

RoyalAllen

I totally agree with this.

46. JBR-games

JBR-games

Not to be rude... But obviously you dont own very many assets as the new store only loads up 10-20 assets fast, and wont show entire list without minutes of lag.. Otherwise its completely unusable.. 20x worse than old store which took too long to load up at first but then was atleast usable..which new store is not..

StevenPicard likes this.
  47. DerDicke

DerDicke

Quote you to enforce your point. I invested countless hours to get animations from Store work on models from Store.
    Now that we have humanoid rig since some time it would be nice if things would simply work together out of the box... Maybe creating a pool of assets that work together? Like animation packages that work on all character models in the same pool?
    Just showcased the usual problems i have here:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/retargeting-issues.562276/

RuinsOfFeyrin and RoyalAllen like this.
  48. Wandersoul

Wandersoul

I'd love for someone to take the functionality of UMA and matched it with the wide array of 'costume' pieces available from Morph3d. Neither package seems to be in active developement and I'd love to have a supported avatar solution for players.

RoyalAllen likes this.
  49. TonyLi

TonyLi

UMA just released a big version 2.8 release candidate update today (see this post).

If you're talking about costume pieces and not the underlying system, the number of UMA costumes on the Asset Store is growing. Arteria3D and I will be submitting a couple dozen new costumes this month to augment Arteria3D's ancient and medieval costumes already available, and other artists like Will B are still putting out new content and updates, too.

50. DiscoFever

DiscoFever

It's 2018 and we still have the slowest asset store loading page ever; nothing has evolved sadly. Put some freaking CDN and cache for god sake ! It's ruining the experience !