Search Unity

Official What assets would you like to see on the Unity Asset Store?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by caitlyn, Mar 18, 2011.

?

Which assets would you like to see on the Unity Asset Store?

1. Art Packages - Mobile/Web

24.0%
  2. Art Packages - Desktop

35.1%
  3. Complete Projects - Mobile/Web

18.0%
  4. Complete Projects - Desktop

23.5%
  5. Scripts/Script Packages

44.6%
  6. Extensions

36.9%
  7. Shaders

28.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

The asset store is currently handling a lot of assets they need to review. They are also looking for a new head of the Asset Store which might indicate they are doing some reforming, maybe that has something to do with it? Also, with an increasing number of assets on the store, they need to keep the quality of these assets high, so they are doing more in depth quality checks I think.

2. CGPitbull

CGPitbull

Yes I understand.. but there is something simple.. more assets, more sales, more staff!!... in my country is how things work ;)

3. IvyKun

IvyKun

I would love to see a mandatory field for 3D model sellers to put the asset polycount.

As a usual buyer and mobile developer, I see myself always contacting them by email or facebook just to ask that. I know there are sellers who put the polycount in the description but a lot of them don't and they just put "low poly" or "high quality" or "ready for mobile", which is not helpful because "low poly" for some mean 1k or below and for others mean like 10k.

syscrusher, Maziu and Taalja like this.
  4. MobilityArts

MobilityArts

I am completely surprised to see scripts are the most popular assets in the survey result. Always thought modeling is the hard part of game development.

5. Ankaman

Ankaman

@CGPitbull I would like to see faster asset review too, have some assets in review since may and still not reviewed

Kamil_Reich likes this.
  6. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Sadly, same here (19th of May), when did you submit it?

7. MaximilianPs

MaximilianPs

I'm looking for a Kit just like this one, which is for UE.

I mean e real melee/block attack, inventory-equipment system.
    I've tested many product on AssetStore but nothing is comparable with this one!

Tigersong likes this.
  8. woeski

woeski

an historical viking character

9. MaximilianPs

MaximilianPs

not exactly :D:rolleyes:

10. woeski

woeski

what do you mean?
    sorry i tought that you could post what you
    wanna see on the Asset Store

11. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

You certainly can, I don't know what @MaximilianPs means exactly.

12. MaximilianPs

MaximilianPs

I though your comment was sarcastic about the video that I've posted where 'cause the player character have a viking helm :D:D:D

13. woeski

woeski

ooh no xD sorry to not understand you

14. AntFitch

AntFitch

HeroKit is coming out soon. You'll be able to set up these sorts of things in the HeroKit Editor. You can create your own attack / animation sequences, and it has a bunch of built in menus (start, options, inventory, journal), dialog system, save system. The code will be "communityware" on GitHub for those who buy the tool. https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/herokit-easy-game-maker.440703/

MaximilianPs and alexanderameye like this.
  15. MaximilianPs

MaximilianPs

Looks interesting, really :)

16. Ankaman

Ankaman

I would like to see not such a limited and simple response from the asset store itself if the package gets declined. I mean they take between 10 and 30 days to review the asset package and at the end you get a response "...it is too simple and limited...". I mean as the asset store takes 10 to 30 days to review it, at least a bit more precise description what is lacking, explained in the response would be appreciated. This would also increase the quality of future submissions which reduces the time of reviewing them as the developers know on what he or she have to work at .... thanks

17. Tigersong

Tigersong

Since I'm making a horse-themed game, I'd like to see some foal models. (If there are any in, say, a farm-animals package, you can disregard this message.)

18. DerDicke

DerDicke

As a coder who played around with animations the last days, I would like to see some form of standard for humanoid characters. What I mean is a standardized Animation controller + 'basic' animations anyone needs. A plug&play package directly usable for most use cases.
    This could include:

- idle
    - walking, running with leaning left/right
    - sit down, get up
    - sleeping
    - wave
    - talk/argue
    - pick up heavy box
    - pick up light box
    - several working
    - jump

-- combat:
    - dying
    - take hit
    - melee attack (kick, punch)
    - bow attack
    - gun attack

This would be a good package to work from. Prefab should be ready to go, just drag into your scene and change variables for the Animation Controller via script. Perhaps two packages if necessary... one for third person controller, one for NPC's (Navmesh ready).
    Right now it's a mess... everyone is doing the exact same thing only differ in a few animations. Reminds me about the time anyone was writing their own containers in C++...

Deleted User, Maziu and Code_games like this.
  19. Nyarlathothep

Nyarlathothep

Have you seen mixamo? Back when I was working on a game project (as a coder with zero animation skills) it came in very handy!

20. DerDicke

DerDicke

yeah... I had a short look. From what I saw it is possible to buy animations there for your own characters and it seems to help with the retargeting and stuff. But there doesn't seem to be anything besides that.

What I mean is a solution that is like buying a car. You say what you expect (kind of car, color...) and buy it without having to know if the tires are made by Continental or Hankook or whatever.

So for Mixamo, that would mean you open their Asset in Unity, go to their website, choose a character, tell them the intended usage, choose some animations and depending on that, it downloads a Unity game ready character that has a premade Animator.
    You place their prefab in your scene and it idles. To let it walk/run you change a speed variable in Animator. To let it execute an animation you set a predefined animation state.
    If you need more animations, just download them for a specific character which automatically changes the Animator allowing you to set new predefined animation states by code.

You could easily have different prototypes of animation behavior, chooseable on their website which each gives you a ready to go Animator state machine depending on your settings and available animations.

So in the end what you buy is a ready to go character without having to mess with retargeting, non looping animations, odd animations or mecanim, all based on a common usage pattern (which could be e.g. NPC using pathfinding or Player character).

You could sell different quality levels, e.g only walk/run or walk/run/sprint while leaning left or right or allow it to execute several animations while moving (different attacks, melee and several common ranged like gun, bow, crossbow, pistol, whatever) .

Allow the user to upload her own characters and download a complete Unity game ready package using Mixamo animations and controller.

In short, create an easy to use, well documented interface and provide the engine doing all the heavy lifting behind the scenes.

Taalja and Nyarlathothep like this.
  21. Supergeek

Supergeek

Folders for asset Favorites. I have multiple projects in mind and dozens of favorites that are related to them. It would be nice to be able to go to a folder for Project X and see all the assets related to that, instead of combing through dozens of favorites to find them.

Taalja likes this.
  22. Code_games

Code_games

Hey I just spend some time on a project similar to what you are talking about able to pick stuff real time and drop them with physics and every thing . but i build those on machine like forklift and powerjacks.

Here is the assets : https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/80840

the assets have character editor which is editor extension able to create unlimited character uniforms.
    they have animations but i have not build them to pick heavy boxes only the forklift and power jack.
    so if you think that kind of picking then i can include that picking stuff in the next version on the characters too.

I can build similar and this time on characters able to pick heavy stuff and drop them all scripted so the animation can happen any where in your scene and time physics ready and drag and drop .
    so check the machine one out and let me know if is that type of picking stuff then i can start that project soon.
    thanks.
    screen shots.

thanks

23. MaximilianPs

MaximilianPs

I would like to see some generic humans medieval style, hand-made something like this :)
    and both Male and Female :)

Stardog and Maziu like this.
  24. Zymes

Zymes

Procedural city generator.

I am surprised no such asset exists yet...

Features:

- Runtime generation of a city, either on flat terrain or not
    - Generate natural roads with city blocks. Like city skylines the roads have squares/lots. Depending on the size you can use prefab assets to plop random buildings on these lots.
    - Divide the city into residential, industrial and commercial areas, so you know what type of building can spawn on that lot (creates more diversity)
    - Grow the city over time, automatically expand outwards with new roads, lots and spawn new buildings using a timescale system

Look at OpenTTD and Cities Skylines for inspiration.

25. coverpage

coverpage

More mid 1800s and early 1900s environments with architecture. To create historical storylines. A time just before electricity or just after.

26. ifurkend

ifurkend

After the update of Asset Store layout, shortcut link of asset provider page no longer works like mine (http://u3d.as/cxf), precisely it redirected to the AS main page. Fortunately asset page shortcut isn't affected.

27. lod3

lod3

#BIN for the Asset Store. Toggled just like in Download Manager. Would turn the store into a giant Wishlist, should the user take the time to prune content they know they will never need. I would seriously pay for this.

Navigating content was fine back in 2012, but now it can often feel like searching for a needle in a hay stack. And if the need arises for something you may have hidden with #BIN, it can be toggled off to do a wide search, then toggled back on to remove undesired content again.

28. Keitaro3660

Keitaro3660

hello, is there a way to "filter and sort" mobile-only asset? (or atleast optimized for mobile)
    i need environment for mobile game 'only'. but it seems there's no filter like that, so i get overwhelming result and must check 1 by 1 (or atleast read the title and description if that asset optimized for mobile or not). so it's a bit a waste of time looking manually like this

any tips how to find mobile only asset on asset store for now?

29. quizcanners

quizcanners

I usually put tags like "Mobile-friendly". I think most of developers do too, if they put time into making sure it is.

Keitaro3660 likes this.
  30. Waterlane

Waterlane

A small thing - but it would be great to have the option to see the price of assets in £.
    (as I'm from the UK). :)

31. gw1108

gw1108

A product on my wish/watch list went off sale the day after I intended to buy it! Where's my "A package on my wish list goes on sale/is about to go off sale" notification!

sacmanis likes this.
  32. Keitaro3660

Keitaro3660

hmm... most of mobil envy are low poly or cartoon style.
    i hope sometime in the future, there will be realistic style envy that optimized for mobile

yea i missed sale because of no feature like this too.
    wishlist only function like a bookmark on asset store.
    i hope they implement sale notification too

33. Kronnect

Kronnect

Are you planning to launch your game in 6 months or you’re just starting and planning to launch it in 2-3 years?

At current rate of performance growth, mobile-only moniker will probably mean something quite different by then. Devices like iPhone 7+ are powerhorse and in many cases desktop-class citizens (much better than many integrated GPUs) - nothing to do with a Galaxy 4.

34. dibdab

dibdab

today I was going to buy some racing cars (from Francisco Victor) and they are not on the store. I saw them last week and they just disappeared.

please don't do that. announce it before that. give a chance to people to buy / download assets.

35. assetstoreoffers

assetstoreoffers

We would like to see more high quality Art Packages.
    Currently we can count on the best art assets and there is really a good demand for the high quality Art Packages.

Maziu likes this.
  36. Mister-D

Mister-D

i would like to see higher prices for art packs, good developers put alot of time and money in it. unity takes 30 percent ; then i have to pay taxes 21% at my earnings so i only keep less than half. so if u want to make a living out of the asset store prices should be higher. it will only work if everyone aims higher

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  37. assetstoreoffers

assetstoreoffers

@Mister-D For sure Game Devs are ready to pay high quality art! And also Unity needs to support high quality publishers by giving them a concession to allow more good content on Asset Store. Agreed?

Mister-D likes this.
  38. Talavaj

Talavaj

What is going on with the asset store?
    I have noticed tons of products have simply disappeared, the new layout is STILL garbage.
    Unnecessary difficulty accessing publisher profiles, NO filters on publisher profiles.

And now the store won't even let you in unless you already have Unity ID and log in.
    The user experience of both publishers and customers went completely down the gutter with the redesign of the asset store.
    I sure do hope that this isn't supposed to be "it".

S_Winx likes this.
  39. S_Winx

S_Winx

New Unity Store - bullshit. I do not work in Unity with the phone, so for me too flawed design.

40. karmik

karmik

I am looking for a 3d runner with shooting/ mele weapons for the player.
    I would also prefer to see a option to set parameters for victory.

I dont see any complete projects that matches these criteria.

Perhaps some of the devs can take this up and create an aaset or add these features to existing assets.

I know there are frameworks. I tried a few but couldn't get intended results. I prefer buying finished game temples to reskin quickly.

assetstoreoffers likes this.
  41. Supergeek

Supergeek

Nothing personal, but reskinned low-effort garbage is what is choking the app stores and making it hard for people with quality products to get seen.

42. karmik

karmik

I know that much. There isn't money/satisfaction in doing that.
    I am trying to bring out a story not yet told on play store.
    I am exploring a yet unexplored market. Don't want to further divulge.

43. DawidMoza

DawidMoza

Maybe a way to decrease time of review is to engage community?

44. UnityFan18

UnityFan18

Hello, I would love to see much more interactive tutorials as assets. Wish there were more learning resources for Kinesthetic Learners on the asset store

45. Jeremy-Borton

Jeremy-Borton

Nyarlathothep likes this.
  46. vertexx

vertexx

I'd love something like a Gaze prefab for the Oculus CV1 that doesn't require days of learning to set up !
    Something more intuitive and user friendly than the current lot.

47. BAIZOR

BAIZOR

I would like to see NESTED PREFABS which are really work. Not like existing few plugins on Asset Store.

48. AkiraWong89

AkiraWong89

I'm very confuse on the current Asset Store system workflow.

I tested with Unity ID logged-out and logged-in situation. Both circumstance will lead you to different webpage when going to Asset Store. Logged-out users will lead to old layout while logged-in users will lead to new layout. The URL is completely different. So how do publisher marketing their assets. Which link to use and how about the Affiliate Program?

I realized that the new layout URL will change depend on your asset package name. Means I needed to change all my links for marketing post and those old posts link doesn't work anymore?

Finally the main problem is when you have a fully cleaned cache internet browser and trying to go to a asset package link. You will end up on the home page. You need to re-paste the link and go again only can go to the right asset packages page. Is this a bug?

This is serious. The first click is very important. If user click on a link and does not go to desire webpage. Most of the user won't give a second chance. This will greatly kill store exposure, potential customers and traffic. I also noticed the passion on Unity Asset Store social medias is going down already.

Here's my suggestion. If Unity Asset Store team can't fix those issues above. A reversion is good. The new layout is modern. The old layout is useful. Thanks.

What you guys think?:)

MrEsquire and Circool like this.
  49. TonyLi

TonyLi

For now, always use the old link (assetstore.unity3d.com) not the new store (assetstore.unity.com). For the very small percent of people who have access to the new store, the old link will redirect automatically to the new store. And for the 99% of people on the old store, the old link will also work correctly. (Note the timestamp of this post; things will certainly change in the future.)

50. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Can Unity start encouraging asset store sellers to update packages to Unity 2017+
    There is no incentive right now and many packages are broken when imported with errors.
    They need to start providing some incentive or sending emails to people...