Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official What assets would you like to see on the Unity Asset Store?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by caitlyn, Mar 18, 2011.

?

Which assets would you like to see on the Unity Asset Store?

1. Art Packages - Mobile/Web

24.0%
  2. Art Packages - Desktop

35.2%
  3. Complete Projects - Mobile/Web

18.0%
  4. Complete Projects - Desktop

23.5%
  5. Scripts/Script Packages

44.6%
  6. Extensions

36.9%
  7. Shaders

28.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Polysquid

Polysquid

I would like to see, support people!
    This is getting ridiculous, users need to wait 20+ days, to get the pack in store.
    I will not even talk about support email, writing there is useless. I can get a better back to back conversation, with a cement wall.

If You have such a work load, why not hire more support people?
    Also, I would like to see some kind of premium acc, so people can pay monthly and get there packs checked out, the next day.

I have 3 packs on pending, that should have been in the store, days ago...

pokerFace, cfantauzzo and ftejada like this.
  2. Polysquid

Polysquid

MAKE ASSET STORE GREAT AGAIN!

3. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

While I agree it's taking a long time, it's because of Unite last week. I think I overheard that they would have 2000+ updates/additions to go through by the time Unite was over. They had some staff doing it during Unite, but a big portion was busy with the convention.

I think having a numbered queue system (Your pack is #233 of 1783 etc) would be helpful, so we know where we stand, and can see progress.

4. Polysquid

Polysquid

Yes! At the moment, I totally agree about the number system.

5. tsangwailam

tsangwailam

Better to have a system to schedule price change or discount period. Now, it is not flexible if we want to have a sale.

6. Rowlan

Rowlan

Birthday Bonanza has not enough assets on sale. Just wanted to state that :D

7. Polysquid

Polysquid

To be honest, last few years, asset store prices are out of control. I see a lot of environments, of 1-5$. Who in there right mind adds these things? This makes harder and harder to earn a decent living, with asset store.

I would like to see minimum 5$ packs. And for environments, minimum 15$
    Also, every account can add only 1-2 free packs.

This way, everyone will benefit form asset store.

8. Rowlan

Rowlan

People who enjoy modeling and texturing, who like to share their creations and who don't want or need to make money.

If you want to make a living with the asset store, provide quality assets, then people will buy them anyway.

Polysquid likes this.
  9. Polysquid

Polysquid

Everything should be regulated, to an extent.
    That's a good idea, but world does not work like that. I don't know anyone, who will decline some extra income, for there hard work.

About '''If you want to make a living with the asset store, provide quality assets, then people will buy them anyway.''

Correct! However, there is a term called: Price dumping
    I sell a lot of great packs and cannot say anything bad about income, however, I buy assets too. From my experience, the 1-5$ packs usually come from developing countries. They are trying to earn a living too. By setting the minimum price, everyone would benefit, even the 1-5$ environments, that would cost 10-20$ now.

10. DawidMoza

DawidMoza

I think that people here don't know to much about marketing. So it's easy for a marketing wolf to take a big piece of a cake, and then capitalism starts to be really aggressive.

Polysquid likes this.
  11. Rowlan

Rowlan

I would decline it. Simply for the fact that I already have a job. Modeling & texturing is just a hobby and I don't mind to give it away for free. Mostly because as I said I got a job and don't have the time to maintain it. Selling on the store requires maintenance.

You make AAA quality assets, so I wouldn't worry in your case.

Polysquid likes this.
  12. DawidMoza

DawidMoza

Regulations are usually bad for economy, for me they are like Soviet Russia compared to USA.

13. Polysquid

Polysquid

I understand, however, I feel that even if I make AAA assets (thank You for compliment, I appreciate it), sometimes people with too low prices can damage my business too.

I am only a unity user,just like You and everyone else. I just think, that something is wrong in the price system and publishing. How to fix it, I don't know, but I hope that people smarter than me, will work on it.

14. Rowlan

Rowlan

The first step would be to allow refunding similar to how Steam does it. I would buy a lot more, but I've already bought too many assets that turned out to be totally unusable and hence wasted money.

15. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

As a buyer, I have also had that experience.

As a publisher (one who provides killer support though and is very very active), I've had people ask for refunds for very ... idk silly reasons that may very well just be lies. Once they have our stuff, there is nothing stopping them from using it, unfortunately.

Better: Unity should take care of ensuring that only publishers who are providing support and producing things that work are able to sell. If a product doesn't work, remove it.

Polysquid likes this.
  16. Polysquid

Polysquid

Yep, I have this issues all the time. A lot of people are trying to scam me and ask for refund. The thing is, it does not work that way. You need to submit a refund ticket, not just write to artist: give me back my money.

One time, I even contacted support and gave the guys information. They blocked him from store :)

17. Rowlan

Rowlan

That's where it starts. As a customer you buy from the asset store. Why would it be your problem then to mess with the asset creator? Why can't you ask Unity for a refund?

18. DawidMoza

DawidMoza

What do you think, how many years from now the Asset Store will be profitable?

19. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

It already is. The store from Unitys perspective almost certainly makes more than they spend on it, and it's an integral part of the ecosystem which adds value to the entire brand. Even if it broke even or lost a little specifically in it's own bubble, it would be of value to Unity as a whole.

For individual publishers, that would be a case by case basis. Many make a lot. Most do not. but "profitable" is subjective. I pay artists to work with me, since none of us can do it all at the highest level ourselves. So for me, I haven't made my money back yet, not all of it. Eventually I feel I will, and eventually I'll pay myself for my own time. (I HOPE!)

But for an artist or other publisehr who does all the work themselves, whether they're profitable or not depends on how much they say they'll pay themselves. If they only invested time, then financially it's straight profit. But if they say "Well, I spent 100 hours, and I want $25/hour, so I need to make $2500 before I'm profitable..." then that's what they need to make.

Unless I misunderstood the question :D

20. Vancete

Vancete

Working on this:

A totally customizable (via inspector or programmatically) on screen keyboard.

Soon on the store.

GibTreaty likes this.
  21. Mixall

Mixall

22. DawidMoza

DawidMoza

Oh man, this desk definitely needs a texture with a bump map, or we are in 2005...

23. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

24. BornGodsGame

BornGodsGame

Would it be helpful for Publishers if they could break apart their assets in parts but still have it be considered as one asset as far as purchasing.

For instance I am thinking like this

Product #1
    part A Models Monster A
    part B Textures Monster A
    part C Scripts

Product #2
    Part D Models Monster B
    Part E Textures Monster b
    Part C Scripts (shares same scripts with Product #1)

Product #3
    Part A
    Part B
    Part C
    Part D
    Part E

Like for guys like sfbay and protofactor who have a lot of big ( > 1GB) packs that include pieces from other packs, they could just assemble the already uploaded parts into different packages.

And for users like me, when sfbay makes a change to a script, I would only have to download Part C rather than the entire Product #1, Product #2 and Product #3.

Maziu, StevenP94, GibTreaty and 2 others like this.
  25. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

This is something I've personally asked for, and I *think* there is stuff being done on the back end that would allow for such things. I really hope so, since I can't offer all the "Monster Packs" as I'd like due to the file size of my packages.

TeagansDad likes this.
  26. GameMaker847

GameMaker847

I'd love some medieval assets

infinitypbr likes this.
  27. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

28. BornGodsGame

BornGodsGame

Caves / Animal Dens

What I need is approximately 10 - 20 unique stand alone caves. These would be 1 or 2 room small caves with an entrance where you might find a few wolves, bears or a small dragon etc.. Not dungeons, not caverns, not modular caves, not a big pack. Just 10-20 separate cave models that can be easily dropped into a scene. I don´t need textures but obviously make sure that any seamless texture would look decent on them.

There is nothing like this on the store where you can just drop in a cave, so I think it would have decent potential for people who want to give their players a bunch of small caves to explore without being repetitive.

29. DawidMoza

DawidMoza

How about shaders? Is there anything that anyone of you need and couldn't find of the asset store?

30. boxhallowed

boxhallowed

US based purchase processing so we can use prepaid cards.

31. xamur

xamur

I don't know exactly, but is there some shader which makes it possible that ground textures have snow/sand on it? I mean, you increase a slider and the more the snow will get. Something like this:

http://www.midaem.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/4.png
    http://www.midaem.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/5.jpeg
    http://www.midaem.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/7.jpeg

32. SarfaraazAlladin

SarfaraazAlladin

33. Kamil_Reich

Kamil_Reich

There is free somewhere on wiki.

34. gromolet

gromolet

Dear community to ask in advance apologize for my English, I have it is not very good.
    I was a novice, a very long time looking for material, where it can be downloaded, even if the instructions attached by polnyy.Uvazhaemaya Administration of unity and why you do not do to download a complete package for beginners, not to look for and do not poke your fingers, where that is, I'm talking about free services to write to you.
    Thanks to the people who make videos about unity

Уважаемая сообщество прошу заранее свои извинения за мой английский, он у меня не очень хороший.
    Я как новичок, очень долго искал материал, где что можно скачать, хоть бы инструкцию прикрепили по полный.Уважаемая Администрация unity а почему вы не сделаете чтобы скачать полный пакет для новичков, чтобы не искать и не тыкать пальцам, где что лежит,я про бесплатные услуги вам пишу.
    Спасибо людям кто видео делает про unity

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  35. PaulMakesThings

PaulMakesThings

I'm not sure if I should make my own thread for this, so I hope I'm not stealing the topic, I'm trying to avoid creating too many stub threads.

I've seen a few requests for general use building components. I'm an engineer, I've worked on large structural designs and a lot of automation code. From my work, I've learned to create industrial CAD models, and I recently tested if I could export them to a good low poly object in Unity and it worked pretty well with the right settings, I clean it up in Maya to fix any weird issues like areas with far too much detail or really long thin polygons. For the purpose of renderings at work and for fun, I've gotten pretty good at textures, particularly on metal, painted, and concrete objects, and I've learned the workflow to make those into textures that work well with game engines. For some of the software I would need to buy fairly expensive commercial licenses to release anything, some of what I use now is student or free non-commercial editions.

All of this stuff listed are things I'd like to gauge interest in, so I'm not saying it would have all of the options, please let me know if you care about some of these things more than others:

So I was considering making a pack with things like these:
    -Beams: I-Beams, L-Beams, riveted and welded rafters, concrete, truss structures
    -Surfaces: Concrete floors and walls, Sheet metal, expanded metal, floor plating, corrugated metal and fiberglass ect
    -Columns: round concrete, I-Beam type, with caps that are standardized to join with the beams
    -Pipes, conduits, valves, factory light fixtures, vents
    -Other stuff for flavor: metal staircases, doors (roll up and human size), cargo containers, tanks, silos, guard rails, mechanical rails, consoles

These would be standardized in size to work well with grids or procedural generation. Probably in increments of 1 meter, or 0.25 meter for smaller things.

I could also do variants of texture:
    -Old rusty stuff
    -Nice clean stuff like you might use for an architectural demo
    -Realistically dirty but not dilapidated, some grease rust and grime like you would see in a real facility in use.
    -Other ideas: slightly more sci-fi looking?

I could also focus on stuff that is less structural but that could cover a lot of categories, like gears, machinery, maritime equipment, construction machines, lab equipment, ect.

Also in the above styles, would you prefer cartoonish/hand painted, or more realistic? Are you more interested in low GPU power assets (simple textures where albedo includes AO, ect) or more like PBR with Normal, height, roughness/diffuse, and AO maps. If I do the ultra realism textures I would probably make cartoon variants as well anyway.

For all I know there may be no interest at all. I can upload some renderings if anyone is excited about this idea. It's always hard to guess if anyone cares or not.

36. tosvus

tosvus

I'd settle for just getting the bloody store online again so I can download the asset I purchased this morning :(

37. pokerFace

pokerFace

I'd love to get the correct support. Recently sent a confirmation package with ready arcade game, which was not accepted and pointed to errors (review process lasted about 20 days). I corrected the mistakes and sent back to the package to be approved. After 3 days, I again received notification of the rejection, one has no explanation. I think this behavior is disparaging to me. I just loose my time.

alexanderameye and GibTreaty like this.
  38. kuzai

kuzai

I've been searching everywhere for answers but none have been found, what I'd like to see is an extension/script/toolkit/etc for making an ingame poser. So people who play the game have a studio mode where they can select characters and pose them/change facial expressions, etc in game for fun scenes they want to make using IK/FK functions.

39. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

In the asset store you have procedural world generators, level generators, etc. But is there anything else you'd like to see get procedurally generated?

40. TonyLi

TonyLi

Character models.

41. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

42. TonyLi

TonyLi

Sure, although I'm sure something a little more user friendly would be welcome by less-experienced Unity users. Or something that works at a higher level -- with UMA or with a custom system -- so you could, for example, request a character with certain parameters such as "a tall, middle-aged female in business attire," or request the system to populate an area such as a nightclub with "a group of punk rockers" and trust that the system will generate the appropriate models.

TeagansDad and alexanderameye like this.
  43. coverpage

coverpage

An opinionated UI framework (using uGUI), that enables the creation of 1 UI on a canvas but the UI elements automatically adapts for:
    1. touch in mobile
    2. mouse in PC
    3. worldspace gaze in VR.
    Bootstrap type of solution which accommodate worldspace VR.

44. coverpage

coverpage

For environments generated at runtime, Google Tango and also for Microsoft Hololens where the environment is scanned in runtime, placement of prefabs which is constrained and enable the game to run, would be useful. Basically an asset that takes all the stuff in a scene, take in some rules, and then place them again on the generated environment.

For example if I want to spawn a wheel of fortune gameshow in the generated environment, I have the preference of the gameshow host to be facing the contestants and between them the wheel. The distance can't be bigger than 5 meters and lower than half a meter. The audience can be standing around them and only need to have a view (raycast) of all 3 of them.

This topological as well as metric constraints can be described by nodes. The minimum and maximum distances and angles can be costs to optimize in the placement.

The automatic placement/spawning will place the prefabs in the best possible position to look aesthetically pleasing but more importantly enable coherent and logical game play.

This is the problem with Hololens and Google Tango applications, you can't place your environment smartly on the new scanned mesh of the surroundings. As a bonus anyone who uses procedurally generated world can benefit as their scene can be placed smartly onto the generated mesh giving unique configurations in open world, while the interactions and story line does not have to change.

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  45. Resin

Resin

Forest and building fires.

I could see this as an extension to speedtree / 3dforge vilage exteriors / Gaia and GeNa. I am imagining something that takes inputs for wind, relative humidity/dryness or just flammability, and ignition source scale/heat output. It would require a nice fire particle system and destructible/crumbling textures and models to replace existing models as buildings and forests burned and could be matched to existing models.

There was a great Canadian game, still in alpha, called The Long Dark, in which gathering fuel and being able to start a fire is essential to the game play, I would like to see that type of system used and extended, so that your fire could get out of control or small villages could be set aflame when they are sacked.

46. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

That sounds really cool! I'll look up the game :)

47. Resin

Resin

I was just reading some of the Speed Tree post where they explicitly state that their trees are not destructible (for either fire or chopping down) and that modifications to their models can be used in your own game, but not sold as independent assets, kind of a bummer. I wonder if this could be done in the 'blue prints' style that people did with some of 3-D forge/Gaia assets. So that you would buy it as an add-on but it would require you to buy the base model tree first?

48. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Someone please make an editor window where the editor camera is attached to a 2 units tall first person controller.

Hear me out.

One of my all time favorite game engines to make stuff in was The Build Engine. Build was a lot like Doom in a lot of ways with some extra bells and whistles. But one MASSIVE improvement was that when editing a level, you had the option to turn to first person mode to paint textures, change elevations, and so on.

Believe me, you don't know how much better editing is like this until you've tried it.

Instead of floating around moving at erratic speeds and trying to position the camera just right so you can see, you had an instant view of what the player would look at.

So, I'm thinking it would be nice to have an editor window that you could move around in first person, then maybe throw in some other stuff like flying mode, or cursor mode.

GibTreaty and alexanderameye like this.
  49. AndrewAssetStore

AndrewAssetStore

Unity Technologies

https://blogs.unity3d.com/2016/12/15/editorvr-experimental-build-available-today/

GibTreaty and Not_Sure like this.
  50. CGPitbull

CGPitbull

would like to see fastest asset reviews.. now you have to wait about 20 days!!!, when I started uploading stuffs on asset store I have to wait about 5 days... now 20... in 1 year... 6 months???

RuinsOfFeyrin and Kamil_Reich like this.