Search Unity

What would you like the Profiler to show

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by unity_bill, Jul 17, 2019.

1. unity_bill

unity_bill

Unity Technologies

Once upon a time the profiler showed data like this:
    - some bundle A
    -- some asset in the bundle
    -- some other asset
    - some bundle B
    -- some asset in this bundle.

then we changed the underlying data to be a lot more clean and robust, which somewhat inadvertently changed the profiler to be:

- request
    -- some asset
    --- some bundle
    - request
    -- some other asset
    --- maybe the above bundle, maybe a different one.

So, the question to the masses is: What data are you looking for in a profiler? Specifically, what problems are you hoping a profiler can help you solve?

For the most part, this tool is a "what are my ref-counts" viewer, but understanding exactly when you the user would need this data, and what problems you might hope to solve, can help us attack making this view better.

Thanks,
    Bill

2. zornor90

zornor90

I'd like to be able to see ref count, as well as total memory used per asset / bundle (realtime memory so for instance taking texture mip maps into account). Maybe some time counts since something was instantiated / referenced last?

unity_bill likes this.
  3. Favo-Yang

Favo-Yang

I suggest give chrome's network panel a look, a good ux combining flow chart and event table.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    unity_bill and Leoniciux like this.
  4. Leoniciux

Leoniciux

@Favo-Yang yeah I agree, something like the chrome's network panel would be incredible helpful to optimise and troubleshoot.

unity_bill likes this.
  5. danilonishimura

danilonishimura

Suggestions:

These are quality of life suggestions for the version 1.1.5. They're not critical. The project this screenshots comes from, is basically an empty project, with the Addressables package installed, and with a script that loads addressables from a remote source. There's no AddressableAssetsData folder in the project.

1. An option to keep the resource profile visible up until it reaches the end (at the left) after your release an instance. Today it removes the line almost as soon as you remove the asset.

2. Small quality of life suggestion, Flip those labels to the left side of the vertical bar if any of them goes behind the window.

3. Make that vertical line work when you click the Current button.

4. The Assets row can't display long strings

Now some feedback regarding the usability

1. For the Profiler Window to work, I always have to click the Clear button after initializing the addressables system. It never works by itself.

2. To enable profiler logging, I need to do the Addressable setup in the project, enable the Profiler Events, and than I can delete the folder, and it works even without the setup. Would be nice to enable and disable Send Profiler Events from the Profiler Window. It's not like it's a problem to run the setup and remove it right after, it's just that it takes one extra step.

// Edit: fixed typos, reordered some items, added some context info.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    andywatts, SugoiDev and unity_bill like this.
  6. MagicDesignEmerick

MagicDesignEmerick

At first use I expected the events log to be able to link to the actual code that triggered this specific event. I'd understand if that was out of the scope of this specific profiler but it'd be great to track where loading comes from.

unity_bill likes this.