Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Question What Would Make You Happy?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CursiveCrow, Feb 15, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. impheris

impheris

let me add:
    It would make me happy if unity create a better way to activate things on hdrp, because the amazing clever way to do it right now is not smart enough (i guess you understand the sarcasm) i'll give you an example:

Screenshot 2024-02-19 at 16-28-03 Question - What is your advice Reatime lights vs Emissive GI.jpg

2. bugfinders

bugfinders

I find the snarky messages in inspector or hidden levels of options also frustrating, where it says "You cant have that option" but rather than saying "go here to change it, or even click here to fix it" nono, half the time its down a rabbit hole

3. kdgalla

kdgalla

Yeah, there needs to be an easier way to configure HDRP in general.

I like the results you can get with HDRP, but I pretty much gave up on it. It's just overly complicated with thousands of settings buried all over the place. It kind-of feels more like the sort of interface a developer would use to test while it's WIP, rather than a finished release.

impheris and Gekigengar like this.
  4. Churd

Churd

It seems easy enough in Unity 2023. There's a toggle in the Lighting section of the HDRP Project Settings. That bool either allows or prevents the use of SSGI by your volumes, so if you want to toggle it globally, you don't have to adjust every volume in every scene. And then, in the very same window, you can scroll down to your default volume profile and tweak the settings. This volume is automatically used by both the scene camera and the game camera, so you don't even have to add anything to your scenes unless you want to override the settings. You can just do it all from the HDRP Project Settings window.

But if you do want to override the settings, you can drop a volume in the scene as a global volume, to make it affect the whole scene, or as local volumes, to affect only certain areas of your scene. Or, you can tweak the camera's frame overrides, and disable stuff at the camera-level, disregarding any other settings.

Here's a screenshot of it from my project.

asdf.png

Last edited: Feb 20, 2024
  5. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Honestly, I'm not overall unhappy. But there is stuff that'd make me happier.

In the engine, I want stuff to be performant, scalable (to large games), complete, accessible (to extend) and documented. Unity gets 80% of all of those pretty well, but doesn't often follow through with the last bits. There are many examples, so I don't feel the need to repeat them.

Their public nessaging has been... crying out for improvement for years. Unclear, or leaning too much on stuff that isn't ready yet, or - in the case of last year - outright fumbling critical messaging which turned not-great news into a far bigger issue than it needed to be. I'm not shooting the messenger here, they can only deliver what news there is to be told.

On that note, stuff generally takes ages to get into our hands, then gets resources re-allocated instead of focusing on the last 20%. Experienced devs know that phase of a feature's life cycle often requires as much or more effort than it took to get there, but it often feels that's where Unity leaves stuff before moving on to the replacement, which won't be ready for years.

I don't want Unity to do my job for me. I'll do the project specific bits, I'll customise and extend. I want a solid and robust platform on which to do that. But I know that that's neither rookie friendly nor particularly marketable.

6. impheris

impheris

thanks... well, in 2022 LTS (which is latest LTS) still pretty complicated, i guess it will be like you said in Unity 6 but it does not look like i'm going to use that version xD

7. tatoforever

tatoforever

In general, I would like to have features that solves problems that game engines are supposed to solve. If I'm creating a game, I don't want to battle the engine or re-implement a system commonly found in today games. I want features that scales from small projects to big projects. I don't need to do a comparison with Unreal Engine, but to put it simple, scalable features that work!
    Finally, instead of multiple half baked unfinished features, I would love:
    - One graphics pipeline
    - One input system
    - One UI system
    - One <whatever> system

8. bugfinders

bugfinders

[QUOTE="tatoforever, post: 9654767, member: 6538"
    - One graphics pipeline
    - One input system
    - One UI system
    - One <whatever> system[/QUOTE]

I dont mind there being multiple **IF** they are interchangable, so have common interfaces, so you can just swap stuff in and out without having to reinvent a wheel, but each thing even hdrp, udp and built in are all so separate, you cant for example, make a webgl one and a hrdp one for desktop because webgl doesnt hrdp and so you cant use any of the same materials. Why does changing from old input to new require a restart of the editor? the editor shouldnt care which i pick till it runs it and finds out surely? while im web friendly the new ui hasnt sat well with me, so to be honest i tried briefly and havent looked again but that was in its earlier days

IllTemperedTunas likes this.
  9. guavaman

guavaman

No. Rewired does not interface with the Steam API. Rewired supports Steam controllers through virtual controllers Steam exposes through the various OS input APIs. None of these APIs support the gyro or touchpads.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2024
    Ryiah likes this.
  10. bugfinders

bugfinders

Thats a shame, it does a lot of useful things.

11. oninoshiko

oninoshiko

This line to go away:

"Unity may add or change fees, rates and charges for any of the Offerings from time to time by notifying you of such changes and/or posting such changes to the Offering Identification, which may include changes posted to the Site."

You can't build a business with a sword of Damocles hanging by a single horse's hair over your head. Tell me what I need to pay, and I'll pay it.

12. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

This is the default for any software as a service. Platform holders... are holding us by our proverbial balls unless we choose to adapt and support FOSS.

oninoshiko likes this.
  13. bugfinders

bugfinders

Take the recent Palworld guys, they had 10k to make the game. So, should they have used unity, imagine the position they would find themselves in? Much as Im sure many would love to suffer from such riproaring success, while they seem to have been fairly clear in what they expect us to pay, it would be hard to plan for it

14. oninoshiko

oninoshiko

While you are absolutely spot on, I will say for Epic they don't have the same history of repeatedly trying to change the licensing terms on already released products.

The fact that the license prevents this type of behavior is a tick in favor of the FLOSS engines.

Ryiah likes this.
  15. Murgilod

Murgilod

No they didn't and even if they did, they'd likely have released it using the current LTS at most recent, meaning they wouldn't be subject to the new license terms.

16. bugfinders

bugfinders

I was using them as a future example, if they had (which they didnt) and yes, they did go on record about having 10k to do it in interview.. But under the new license rules their unexpected success would have been something they wouldnt have expected

17. Murgilod

Murgilod

No they didn't. The company was founded on $10,000, with their first game on Steam releasing five years ago. That would be this:
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/919370/Overdungeon/

In an interview, the Palworld budget was revealed to be approximately $6,750,000 USD.
    https://news.yahoo.com/what-is-palw...-about-video-game-212000168.html?guccounter=1

edit: my mistake, the initial budget, as in the prototyping phase was $10,000. It was not that for very long though.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2024
    Ryiah likes this.
  18. bugfinders

bugfinders

Interesting all id read/seen was how it was basically all but a bunch of people one of which who did the graphics whos day job was working in a hardware store.. the kinda rags to riches thing..

19. guavaman

guavaman

Ryiah likes this.
  20. Ryiah

Ryiah

I've seen similar statements in a few different places but I've never seen anything backing it up. Pocketpair made Craftopia before they made Palworld. Craftopia has a million plus player base.

https://steamspy.com/app/1307550

21. IllTemperedTunas

IllTemperedTunas

If you believe the internet hype, Palworld was created in a dark alley where vagrants congregated over a shared love of trading soiled Pokémon playing cards and machine guns.

The "company" made use of salvaged Apple II e's as they could be found in nearby rubbish heaps. Their team lead was chosen as a result of his unnerving fetishes for cardboard cutouts of firearms and was in and out of prison during development as he attempting to rob passerby's at cardboard point to fund the project.

The CEO is quoted as saying "That m&$#er &*($er scary loves guns. No joke, it's actually terrifying. If I didn't promote him, he was going to stab me in my sleep with a sharpened cardboard cutout of an AK 47."

They knew they found their guy.

Pocketpair employees were paid in malt liquor, but after just a few months of development, the bottles dried up and they worked out of pure passion for shiny arse machine guns and soiled Pokemon trading cards.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2024
    SunnySunshine, bugfinders and Ryiah like this.
  22. bugfinders

bugfinders

i had heard craftopia was related to it, and certainly from some pictures it looked like the terrain was the same. Problem with truth is, being sure you found it. As maybe the actual team who started palworld were a bunch of no ones who hadnt programmed before and had other jobs, but they got found by the company who released it under their name to help it get more visibility (making stuff up here) so there is some element of truth in both storys. Or, maybe its all just internet drama bs which frankly you cant move for on the internet. So many people trying to pretend their life is perfect or sell you the perfect solution to problems you didnt know you had..

23. Murgilod

Murgilod

Or you could look on Steam and see they're made by the same developers.

24. bugfinders

bugfinders

Or you could read what i wrote about truth and how it could be a team that basically got bought into by them and so published under their name.. of course if you are them you would know which is true, us mortals wont.

25. Murgilod

Murgilod

Or you could do even a little bit of research, which you didn't. You're trying desperately to muse about the nature of truth because you want to distract from the fact that you didn't actually do any of this.

26. bugfinders

bugfinders

No I saw some interviews about them - so dont make assumptions of what I did or I didnt do please.

27. Murgilod

Murgilod

You clearly didn't read those interviews very well because we've already covered how you were off by $3,740,000 when it came to Palworld's budget. You also tried to compare the terrain in Palworld and Craftopia as if that'd really mean anything when they're not even in the same engine. There are also interviews about how the development of Craftopia and Palworld differed and why the engine switch happened at all. Here's one: https://automaton-media.com/en/interviews/20240123-25950/

This is not hard information to find. There's no big secrets here.

28. khiemgluong

khiemgluong

Removing the ad monetization/microtransaction package.

29. khiemgluong

khiemgluong

I agree, just got the rebinding system to work but now I'm stuck on how to exclude keys from being overridden. And I don't want to use 5
    .WithControlsExcluding()
    lines, and creating a joined string array with excluded strings does not work..

30. bugfinders

bugfinders

I was thinking of this today as i found out today

webgl used to do dots.. now it doesnt
    project tiny got paused after being hailed "the only way" for a bit

i just wish they'd stick with stuff

31. Ryiah

Ryiah

Create a local copy of the package and add a custom method like this to
    InputActionRebindingExtensions
    :
    Code (csharp):
    1. public RebindingOperation WithControlsExcluding(string[] paths)
    2. {
    3.     ThrowIfRebindInProgress();
    4.     if (paths == null || paths.Length == 0)
    5.         throw new ArgumentNullException(nameof(paths));
    6.     foreach (var path in paths)
    7.     {
    8.         if (string.IsNullOrEmpty(path))
    9.             throw new ArgumentNullException(nameof(path));
    10.         bool alreadyExcluded = false;
    11.         for (var i = 0; i < m_ExcludePathCount; ++i)
    12.         {
    13.             if (string.Compare(m_ExcludePaths[i], path, StringComparison.InvariantCultureIgnoreCase) == 0)
    14.             {
    15.                 alreadyExcluded = true;
    16.                 break; // This path is already excluded, no need to add it again
    17.             }
    18.         }
    19.         if (!alreadyExcluded)
    20.         {
    21.             ArrayHelpers.AppendWithCapacity(ref m_ExcludePaths, ref m_ExcludePathCount, path);
    22.         }
    23.     }
    24.     return this;
    25. }

32. impheris

impheris

i'm sorry, why would that make you happy?

33. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

The 80% version of the ninety-ninety rule, I bet :D

Summary of most comments here is: "I want life to be easier".
    Yeah we all wish...

34. useraccount1

useraccount1

For now, I only want Unity to stop losing key developers.
    Then focus on some long-term plan and deliver it efficiently.
    Maybe changing policies to make the company more transparent for the developers would also be nice.

For features, I can only mention ones that I would want to use in my game:
    - Custom shaders for UI toolkit
    - Better open-world tooling, proper terrain system
    - Possibility to easily add toon effects via shader graph
    - Proper mesh merger and an automatic Lod generator, technology similar to nanite would be great
    - more performant animation system
    - A proper navigation system that can handle an open world and lots of NPCs
    - WebGPU support
    - Improved prefabs
    - Proper visual scripting toolkit, I'm using old Bolt for quest design and it's a pain
    - More QoLs for the editor
    - More nodes for a Shadergraph to generate crazier render textures

CodeRonnie and SunnySunshine like this.
  35. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

36. khiemgluong

khiemgluong

Hard to put into a single post but I wouldn't say something made with this to be a "game". At best it's brain rot and at worse a scam, catering to gambling addicts or prey on the financially vulnerable. I can't imagine clicking on a button or spinning a wheel to be a game, and yes, you could argue that games like TF2 or Counter Strike has a gambling system, but you could still enjoy those games without ever getting involved in that system. With that package though, people have a much easier time dumping out these kinds of gacha style games, but sadly, these kinds of games bring in an insane amount of money, and money talks.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2024
  37. khiemgluong

khiemgluong

I took a different approach, by enumerating through an array of
    InputActionReference[]
    , which are input actions which I do not want overridden.

Code (CSharp):
    1.    IEnumerable<string> CollectExcludedBindings(InputActionReference[] actions)
    2.         {
    3.             HashSet<string> bindings = new();
    4.             foreach (var actionRef in actions)
    5.             {
    6.                 InputAction matchedAction = FindMatchingInputActionRef(actionRef);
    7.                 if (matchedAction != null && matchedAction != null)
    8.                     foreach (var binding in matchedAction.bindings)
    9.                         if (!binding.isComposite) bindings.Add(binding.effectivePath);
    10.             }
    11.             return bindings;
    12.         }

The method would return an array of bindings at their effective path, so something like {"<keyboard>/w","<keyboard>/s"} and from here I thought that using string.Join() and combining it to use as the argument in
    WithControlsExcluding 
    would work, but the
    RebindingOperation 
    does not allow joined strings that represents several excluded controls. My best theory is that I would need to figure out a way to dynamically modify the RebindingOperation and add as many .WithControlsExcluding() that I need for each excluded binding that was found.

38. impheris

impheris

one of us are pretty confused... do you know what is a game? the concept of a game?
    EDIT: and btw https://unity.com/products/iap is not a game, that is a service or a product, if you would be happy without it, you can just not use it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ weeee

Last edited: Mar 11, 2024
  39. Ne0mega

Ne0mega

Not worth discussing.
    Wish there were nothing to discuss.

40. Unifikation

Unifikation

And as we well know, wanting something, and it being underway at unity, are worlds apart.

Hence him wanting it, not wishing for it to be underway. That it be done.

That's the general rule, here. The 80% of users would like things to be done, rather than underway... for a half decade or more, before being abandoned for something else to get underway.

But you know this. You've been here long enough to sense the pattern, know the ruse. Etc.

Rodolfo-Rubens and impheris like this.
  41. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes, that's so true when it comes to browser playback post-plugin, but on the flip side what they have now is likely way better than WebGL ever was. :p

42. khiemgluong

khiemgluong

Yes, it is a service or a product, a package, an extension to your current project so to speak.. we are already on the same page on that, and I don't use it, obviously. What I'm saying is that something made with it shouldn't really be considered a game. What I am also saying is that its availability has allowed too many so called "developers" to easily make "games" with the use of this service/package that only appears to be a game on the surface, but in reality is just a gambling app, and this harms a lot of people, usually children. I am advocating for its restriction, as this will lead to less predatory apps and more higher quality games that would get its value from story, mechanics, depth.. i.e an actual game.

I know I've offended a lot of people by saying this, but this is a hill I'm willing to die on. :cool:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2024
  43. impheris

impheris

i'm pretty sure people are not offended by this, but i think maybe they are worried about you and your concepts of what is a game... The use of that service does not eliminate the "game" factor of a game in any way. Maybe i do not understand because english is not my main lenguage...

44. Ryiah

Ryiah

While John may have used very poor wording the reality is it's very important that games be monetized because if we don't have a way to do that we won't have games for very long. So I'm completely fine with it as long as its not the sole focus of the company like it has been.

Without advertising and IAPs I'm not positive mobile would even be a viable platform since very few people are willing to pay upfront for a game.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2024
    angrypenguin likes this.
  45. spiney199

spiney199

Gotta consider both sides of the coin here. There are tons of games, particularly mobile games, that are legitimately monetised through IAP.

Not really Unity's place to be the moral arbiter here. It should be up to lawmakers/governments to handle abusive practices.

Ryiah likes this.
  46. Murgilod

Murgilod

My thing is that I don't think these should be services offered on the engine development side of things. We've seen over the past several years how Unity's increasing focus on services have affected the engine itself and how the company has been run. Obviously this doesn't mean "in-app payments mean you're not making a game" or whatever the F*** @khiemgluong is saying, but it's the kind of integration that has severely changed a lot of priorities at UT.

Spy-Master, Ryiah, AcidArrow and 2 others like this.
  47. Ryiah

Ryiah

That's fair. I suppose I was thinking entirely too much of the framework and not the service behind it.

48. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

At this point given unitys 6 impending release and the end of an era, what would make me happy is if Bevy became more fully featured and ready for use, or if Monogame finally added decent 3D support that is closer to whats expected and less like writing your own 3D side of the engine. At that point I would have no need to even look back

49. retired_unity_saga

retired_unity_saga

One day, in the future.

Unreal Engine will figure out a way to add a scripting API (probably a lua/python based one), similarly to Unity components.

On that day, I leave.

50. Lurking-Ninja

Lurking-Ninja

You need to be well-Versed to notice that. (All puns are intended all the time)
    It didn't make the situation any better.

retired_unity_saga likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.