Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Question What Would Make You Happy?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CursiveCrow, Feb 15, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CursiveCrow

CursiveCrow

Given the constant negative vibes, responses, and overall attitude on the forum toward the engine we all build in, I'd like to ask: what would make you happy with Unity?

2. IllTemperedTunas

IllTemperedTunas

I've been waiting for someone to make this thread so i could make this reply.

In regards to Unity this is the feature I would be most happy about:
    If Unity built in easy to hide/expose variables within inspector windows within the Editor. Imagine if you could select multiple variables in the inspector window, highlight them, right click and select "hide" and it automatically added the [HideInInspector] tag to them, or simply hid them through some other inspector logic magic. We would be able to expose them again from debug mode by right clicking and choosing "show" (since they would now be hidden in normal mode).

(as opposed to having to open up a script and add [HideInInspector] or [ShowInInspector] AFTER I spend 50 bucks on Odin Inspector and figure out how to get it working)

Even better if there were built in enums that generated and existed at the top of an inspector window and allowed us to expose variables the way Odin allows us to "showgroup" based on conditions (enums being the best).

So here are some organizations I've done so people know TF what I'm talking about:

It's nice using Odin, but it's also kind of a pain in the butt and requires a good bit of excess code and overhead. If we could group variables, and select many at a time directly from the inspect and be able to have various settings exposed, and quickly organize our windows on the fly, it would be GAME CHANGING.

Like imagine you click on a variable (its text in the inspector, not its value), have it greyed across horizontally to show the variable is "selected", shift click all the way down across 20 variables, see them all selected now right click and be able to "group them" to "movement variables" then be able to choose "movement variables" from a built in enum and they would only be exposed in the inspector when shown and other variables would be hidden. Now imagine you could select 3 values and instantly right click tell them to be stacked horizontally and now they are displayed in a horizontal group not taking up so much space and allowing you to better organize values that align together.

I could blather on and on about other features but i'll just start with that one. If Unity added the above feature I would be so gosh d@mned happy.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2024
  3. CursiveCrow

CursiveCrow

That would be super handy. Big agree.

4. Ryiah

Ryiah

Time. I need to see that the changes they've proposed and are implementing will have a long lasting positive impact on the company.

Ruslank100 and CursiveCrow like this.
  5. CursiveCrow

CursiveCrow

Super valid, I'm not going to pretend like I haven't gone through a pretty hard negative cycle, especially last year where it seemed like every announcement coming out of them was either layoffs, feature cuts, or poorly communicated and poorly considered pricing changes.

Ryiah likes this.
  6. valarnur

valarnur

Something like Lumen in SRP, improved SSGI, perfect Screen space reflections, less or equal 500 milliseconds on every action in the editor with HDRP for example less than 500 milliseconds of C#script compilation with HDRP.

stonstad, Ruslank100 and CursiveCrow like this.
  7. CursiveCrow

CursiveCrow

I would love to see a robust GI solution, too! I think that's something that is just universally useful; there isn't a single game that wouldn't benefit from a better lighting solution.

Ruslank100 and IllTemperedTunas like this.
  8. liquify

liquify

- A comprehensive tutorial about how to make a massive open-world game with DOTS, to see the maximum capabilities of the game engine’s built-in tools

- Something similar to Nanite, so we won’t have to create LODs anymore

- A quick real-time GI like Lumen, because it can be useful sometimes

- Extend the grace period of the Always Online requirement to three months or remove it

Ruslank100 likes this.
  9. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

• Development timelines should be under 5 years for a production ready package, we're onto year 8 for some systems like UI Toolkit if counting from pre-production. I'll retire before UI Toolkit will get worldspace support and many other basic features. Per recent forum posts, Worldspace isn't even on their radar yet.
    • Public roadmaps are a joke that they update as PR material before Unite or some other event maybe once a year if even that. Some roadmap sections haven't been updated in years. This makes it hard to understand the state of the engine and what actually is being worked on. You need a paid representative at Unity to actually gauge what is up. Just update them properly like actual roadmaps instead of adding items once something is done for optics.
    • Package development should be open to public feedback. In 2020 they acquired Bolt visual scripting, cancelled Bolt 2 and said they'll reimplement relevant Bolt 2 features into Unity Visual Scripting (the Bolt 1 reskin). It's been 4 years with exactly zero features reimplemented. In fact, no progress has been made on the state of the tool and it's unusable in production. And there have been zero public progress updates on the current state of their reimplementation of tool since November 2022 when they said they'll take another 2-3 years to redo this thing from ground up. Everything is happening behind closed doors.
    • Actually execute your vision. Part of the reason they cancelled Bolt 2 was the unification of all graph based tools in Unity under a new graph tools UI framework called Graph Tools Foundation. Bolt 2 didn't align with that vision. After four years we are no closer to this goal. Shader Graph and VFX graph use their own separate forks of early Graph Tools Foundation package. The package itself was discontinued in 2021 in favor of integrating it as engine module. The engine module was recently cancelled in favor of some new package titled Graph Tools Authoring Framework per 2023.3 beta 3 changelog, but this package can't be found anywhere. The new Muse BT graph uses its own home baked solution as well. Four years gone and we are no closer to this unification idea.
    • The engine fragmentation has to end. UI Toolkit is still generally unusable - no custom shaders, no custom text effects, high initialization cost, lacks basic styling features, no worldspace, etc. And they refuse to give low level access so we can fix these things ourselves because of some weird development philosophy that the base version of the package will support these features eventually. Meanwhile, UGUI hasn't been meaningfully updated in a half a decade or more. There's no pressure for them to finish anything, and they just point to legacy features in maintenance mode as the solution and continue to not deliver indefinitely.
    • Fix iteration speed with CoreCLR migration that they've been teasing for years and that still is probably a couple of years away or more.

TL;DR: It's essential to fulfill the commitments made four to five years ago within timeframes that ideally won't surpass the span of the current decade. But at this point, it's unlikely.

10. CursiveCrow

CursiveCrow

Yeah, wanting them to do the things they said they would do seems like a pretty reasonable ask.

IOU_RAY and TeagansDad like this.
  11. tleylan

tleylan

Perhaps there is some sort of solution (I doubt it though) but while I like the Inspector for setting values they are not "documented" in any way. So some way to "push" them to the code (or at least a file).

If I was to code the settings I would be able to see them all and if I experiment with the settings or I replaced a component the settings that I wanted would always be there. As it is I spend too much time (sometimes) trying to find out what values I had set and forgetting one can make huge difference at runtime.

Speaking of which... if for example one routinely turns off navigation on a UI button or changes pivot points on a Rect Transform does one tend to create a prefab or just remember to set all these things every time?

12. CodeRonnie

CodeRonnie

Have you tried using Presets? I haven't used them yet myself, but I wonder if they would help.

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/Presets.html

13. Acissathar

Acissathar

I would like systems like Mecanim or UGUI to have meaningful development. I understand wanting to create new or better systems (especially with how much others seem to despise Mecanim), but just forsaking old features in the meantime sucks, especially because the "new" system seems to inevitably be abandoned so we wasted years at this point on languishing systems.

14. IllTemperedTunas

IllTemperedTunas

Agree 100%. I actually like Mecanim quite a bit, if they just hid away a few variabes and renamed things to make them more obvious what they do and streamlined the system a bit, it would be fantastic. Maybe they could do things on the back end to implement DOTS and ECS for it, I dunno. But it's a great system that's just a little confusing in a few ways.

Acissathar likes this.
  15. IllTemperedTunas

IllTemperedTunas

Found this quick video that gives a fast overview of the feature working in the Editor:
    https://www.youtube.com/shorts/vyACcDpIR94

And this reminded me of something else that would make me happy in Unity. Imagine if videos like this that show the full power of a feature were imbedded into Unity somehow or in the documentation. I find this stuff infintely more useful and faster to digest while directly showing the use case and we can see in realtime how the feature works.

It would be awesome if Unity had a small team that made small videos like the one above and linked them throughout Unity to demonstrate awesome workflows and features.

Oh, and if Unity REALLY wanted people to be excited for a return to form, they'd get these short videos narrated by this chipper MF'er:

Another feature people don't know about that's extremely powerful is Layouts. You can open a whole slew of inspector windows for a certain set of skills or items or whatever, save that UI loadout, and at any time load it and BOOM you have all those windows all set up so you can get back to tuning that set of content again. Other obvious use cases are setting up windows to allow for animations, particles, etc. But the real strength is being able to save a state of things you work on in tandem for future use.

16. Billy4184

Billy4184

What would make me most happy is to see a different long-term approach to development of the engine, where there is a lot less fragmentation of features and shiny object syndrome.

The way I see it now, Unity has a spectacularly strong and well-built core, on top of which has been added (especially in the last 5-10 years) a giant brittle shell comprised of half-finished ideas and concepts. From the outside, it appears that the package manager has been abused as a means of adding things without needing to finish them. 95% of what is still carrying the engine was built back when its claim to fame was being the go-to indie engine, and almost all the new features (at least the one's I've encountered with) have a huge swathe of users who won't touch it for some reason, usually because some crucial thing is broken or nonexistent.

That is not to mention all the divergent expensive acquisitions that fizzled out, which could have been spent on much more useful things, and the cancellation of far more crucial and less expensive projects such as Gigaya.

What I also don't like is the big focus on AI right now, as if that has anything to do with the problems the company is currently facing. If anyone is hoping that AI is going to just deploy into Unity like some kind of healing spirit and merge the chaos into perfect order, I think they will be disappointed. Right now what Unity needs is to call in people with the kind of approach that was taken when the foundations of the software were laid and get to work cutting out and replacing a lot of junk.
    That said I think it's about time for the general negativity to stop. By this time everyone should have decided on moral grounds whether they are still willing to use the engine or not, and either departed for another ship, or stayed put with positivity and a focus on what to do to make things better.

As much of a faux pas as Unity made, it seems to me they simply jumped the gun on what virtually every platform like this is either considering or planning to do at some point. It blew up in their face and rightly so, but I wouldn't be so sure that pretty much every other engine will not try that or something similar in the future. Just look at Apple, they have introduced their own runtime fee for certain parties. This is alongside the 'standard' 30% gouge which is an order of magnitude higher than the royalties Unity are asking for, for a much simpler service than providing an entire game engine. I wonder why there isn't so much hue and cry about that? Perhaps they are simply far more skilled at pulling off stunts like that compared to Unity, but I wouldn't call that a virtue.

17. Unifikation

Unifikation

Game Development driven leadership.

18. Onigiri

Onigiri

Release of the long awaited new animation system.(I swear if they'll cancel it it will be my last day here on the forums)
    Release of the long awaited new environment system.
    Good built-in streaming and instancing, support for large open world, ability to paint grass on any geometry not only terrain.
    Procedural workflows support(equivalent of Unreal's PCG graph)
    Unification of UI of graph tools
    Unification of srp's lighting and postprocessing system(physical light units in URP, physical camera in URP, ability to use HDRP's postprocessing on URP and vice versa)
    Better SSGI(see h-trace 2.0), better SSR, better SSAO
    Lumen and nanite equvalents
    URP environment settings moved to volume system from lighting window, better URP fog with blending to skybox.
    New modern theme for editor, customazible workspaces like in blender, modern title/menu bar.
    Feature complete UIToolkit, feature complete svg support with antialiasing and other features, support for animated svgs like lottie.
    Built-in modern FMOD-like audio editor.
    Suport of the modern video/audio/texture file formats
    Latest c#, CoreCRL
    New NavMeshAgent or ability to create custom agents. Better local avoidance. Navmesh support for moving platforms.
    AI tools (behavior trees/GOAP/HTN). Futher Muse behavior development.
    Do not clutter project with tons of settings scriptables. Move everything into project settings window. Ability to customize where AdressableAssets and TextMeshPro folders created, don't create them at the root of project.
    And many more that I can't remember right now.

TeagansDad, Trigve and Unifikation like this.
  19. Rastapastor

Rastapastor

At this point You should just switch to UE XDDDDDD

As for the thread...a good starting point is to speed up editor workflow. And fixing somehow SRPs or something...dunno :)

TeagansDad and Ruslank100 like this.
  20. neginfinity

neginfinity

C++ API, source code access, out of the box builtin gltf support. Alternative royalty-based license.

21. unity_IL2xcGDjkMsxVw

unity_IL2xcGDjkMsxVw

There is definitelly more usefull answers here, but wanted to say some idea. UE has it's focus on relaistic graphics and mocap meta-human, etc. What would make unity stand on it's own would maybe be a meta-human with better stylistic customizations maybe? Just a general idea. Again, this is more like flashy feature. Others here had more usefull things.

22. mgear

mgear

only 2 small wishes,

- Open source to accept fixes from community (i would expect good fixes, improvements & performance boosts from that).
    - make a game (or buy some existing company with large scale game, to get those improvements going)

other small workflow annoyances listed here (would be nice if improved..)
    https://gist.github.com/unitycoder/c29f79c1cc8e2232be9d6bfebf884561

23. zulo3d

zulo3d

24. tleylan

tleylan

Turns out that Presets are just the solution I was looking for.

CodeRonnie likes this.
  25. impheris

impheris

I think negativity is more about unjustified negative comments than objetives opinions based on facts
    What would make me happy? For me, it would be:

1 - Better SSR and SSGI because the current reflection probes are just lame and depressing -.-

2 - Also, i would like the company to release and maintain their features. (unity is not good at that)

3 - I would like the company to be more dedicated to technology and not ads or movies or something else that is not game dev...

4 - Something like lumen that works, not just a rushed solution (like the new water system imo)

5 - A company that we can trust (right now i don't trust this company, i prefer to try it somewhere else)

6 - New features that works well on the editor, again, not just rushed solutions

7 - Modern terrain/enviroment system

8 - Like @liquify said: "remove the always online bs"

9 - I would like unity's guys to pay more attention to the community on some, for example, i nthe editor, you can not see the full name of your assets if they have "stardard" long names, there is an old a thread about it... basically ignored

So as you can see, is not exactly negativity imo (maybe i'm using wrong this term) is more like facts... those bad comments you see here are not based on nothing.

totally agree, more "artist friendly"

Ruslank100 and IllTemperedTunas like this.
  26. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

For them to pay all employees (excluding managers, C-Suites and board members) two years worth of salaries in severance, write them all super nice recommendation letters, open source all their code, then shut down.

Also send all their docs, logs, e-mail, meeting notes and whatever paperwork they have to an independent group, tasked to study the decision making Unity did in the last 10 years, so humanity finally knows what not to do.

27. impheris

impheris

making unity open source will be the worst thing ever for everybody, specially indies, i think your comment is just hate xD

28. bugfinders

bugfinders

Personally, if unity picked a direction stayed on it till it was done.. so many of the ideas that have come in in the last few years feel a bit half baked, the constant firing and hiring, the change directions, so many things have come, disapeared in the mist or fallen by the way side.. Id rather they picked a handful of things and got them to a really good state, too many feel like its left to peoples good will at lunchtimes..

stonstad and Ryiah like this.
  29. IllTemperedTunas

IllTemperedTunas

But the billiion dollar question is... how do they fulfill this? Do they have people internally in leadership positions who can realistically make these judgement calls? If they go into some big idea, like let's say AI tech that can generate gameplay through node based AI systems, should they double down on this till it's great?

What if it's a great idea, but they simply execute it poorly? Or what if it's a great idea, and they execute it well, but it's not properly valued internally or implemented well so poor management strikes the project down?

It's not about ideas, it's not about execution, it's not about building culture, it's not about developing the foundation, it's not about getting leadership and management out of the way of talent. It's ALL THESE THINGS, ALL AT ONCE. This is no easy task, and they need to have the fire under thier bums, they need lightning in a bottle, and they need top talent all in the right place at the right time, and beyond that, they have to stop messing it all up.

30. bugfinders

bugfinders

Well part of that should be dont shout about how great its gonna be till you're sure its gonna be great. Very few (successful) game companies go out before theyve got enough info on paper of their plans before shouting to users we're gonna do this...

31. kdgalla

kdgalla

Someone asked a similar question several months ago. I suggested improvements to mecanim and some basic optimization features.
    here and here

Basically, I just want them to polish-off what was there back in Unity 5. I haven't really used anything released since then, except new prefab workflow, Cinemachine and the occasional scriptable object.

stonstad, Ryiah and neginfinity like this.
  32. Churd

Churd

I'd like to hear that Unity is focusing on the future, not the past.

We're 3 years away from Playstation 6 release, since a new one comes out every 7 years. Around that time, give or take, a new handheld console will likely release that is almost as good as the previous full console, so we'll have handheld Playstation 5. Mobile phones will be integrating even more high quality features for augmented reality and gaming.

Every time I hear of users demanding for Unity to support hardware that is even more ancient than mine, its disheartening. Unity doesn't need to do that. Let the little engines, like GameMaker and RPG Maker, or even Godot, cover that area.

It is often said that Unity doesn't need to compete with UE, but, what if competing with them is actually the best choice? Who else is going to do it? We already have plenty of options for low end development, such as the aforementioned few, plus many more. Unity may end up becoming redundant if they don't step up and do something exciting.

The engineers would likely be happier if they could work on something a bit more exciting, too. I can't imagine that the majority of them leap out of bed in the morning, with a smile on their face, to get to work on their day job that revolves around supporting 10 year old mobile hardware, while their peers get to work on the fun & innovative stuff.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2024
    IllTemperedTunas likes this.
  33. CodeRonnie

CodeRonnie

To me it's not at all that everyone is demanding to run a single render pipeline on Android Potato v1.0 and Playstation 6. It's more about not being able to ever have your game on Nintendo Switch if you choose HDRP. That's the schism, and it's being portrayed as something totally different and unreasonable.

stonstad, Trigve, Jingle-Fett and 2 others like this.
  34. Gekigengar

Gekigengar

RTGI like Lumen, DOTS Determinism, and uGUI actually getting performance and workflow update.

Ruslank100 likes this.
  35. neginfinity

neginfinity

Use ignore lists.

Ruslank100 and impheris like this.
  36. SunnySunshine

SunnySunshine

1. Ditching BiRP, URP and HDRP in favor of a new, unified, modern, optimal, scalable and extensible rendering system.
    2. RTGI that doesn't rely on raytracing. (Lumen)
    3. Automatic LOD system. (Nanite)
    4. UI system built for performance.
    5. Better world editing and tech, so you can place foliage and decorations more easily and without worrying about performance. (atm you essentially have to rely on 3rd party assets to make Unity even remotely viable.)

Cool to have features:
    1. Procedural, spatial audio engine (sound adapting to environment).
    2. Fluid simulation.
    3. Bring back/develop kinematica (next gen animation system).

My biggest gripe BY FAR is the whole BiRP vs URP vs HDRP situation. None of these alternatives are great. BiRP is old, abandoned and unoptimal by modern standards. URP is missing a ton of features as compared to BiRP and HDRP. HDRP is far too demanding on hardware.

Apart from that, I'm quite OK with Unity atm. My qualms are mostly in regards to the company itself rather than the engine.

bugfinders, stonstad, NotaNaN and 9 others like this.
  37. impheris

impheris

i don't have any idea what that guy meant, it doesn't even has sense in this thread...

Yes, i can not believe i haven't thought that on my post https://forum.unity.com/threads/what-would-make-you-happy.1547477/#post-9647756
    but i think that would be in the "nice to have"

Also let me add: Better documentation, Unity was pretty good on this some years ago but now is not exactly good

SunnySunshine likes this.
  38. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Lurking-Ninja and Ryiah like this.
  39. Lurking-Ninja

Lurking-Ninja

What would make me happy (well, I will interpret this as "what would make me stay with Unity on the middle run"):
    - bring back the Plus license
    - cut back on marketing moves (e.g. Unity Hub demands selecting organization)
    - select someone who will be a project manager and go through the forums and other communication places, gather all the feedback at least going a year or two back, create actual action items out of them and execute them as much as possible
    - put resources on problems that matters (e.g. instead of project wide input settings, develop the system, support more devices more easily) and not what looks good on paper...
    - Stop pushing the AI garbage on everything

- Unified SRP is a good to have for me

40. SunnySunshine

SunnySunshine

Completely forgot about this. I'd definitely want it back, too.

41. bugfinders

bugfinders

question.. so if they bought back the plus license, given you need to have done > 1M to need pro, and the remove logo will eventually show up in the free tier. What would plus bring youi?

42. Lurking-Ninja

Lurking-Ninja

Nope. You need 200k income to must buy Pro. The 1M limit is ONLY for the royalty payments.

In normal circumstances priority bug-handling (act like as it was Pro license). Plus they could add some stuff, like building minutes allowance or whatnot.

43. bugfinders

bugfinders

TBH ive lost track of what they actually are doing in their price revamp. I make absolute zero, so confess . OK, so if you make 200k you need to spend 2 of it on a license which then allows you till 1M with no extra cost.

I do think the plus thing had merit back in the day, with its discount off the store, and bug stuff, and of course turning off of the logo

44. Murgilod

Murgilod

Turning off the logo is worth absolutely $0.

Ryiah and Lurking-Ninja like this.
  45. halley

halley

It's been almost two years with the Steam Deck out, but there's no official public layout for the Input System to use it. The generic Gamepad layout works for the basics, but I'd like to see its gyro and touchpads and touchscreen and four back-buttons supported. The only way to support them right now is to ship on Steam with a Steam Input layout that maps some of those features into alternatives that Unity runtime understands.

Speaking of gyro, it's not even included in the stock Playstation DualShock 4 HID layouts, even though people have hacked up some bare minimum support for it and shared the methodology. I just want to call Attitude.current and Gyro.current like any other device out there.

NotaNaN, Unifikation and Ryiah like this.
  46. bugfinders

bugfinders

Does rewired support it? (not having looked)

47. Ryiah

Ryiah

Removing the logo itself? $0. If it eventually leads to no one bringing it up? Priceless. :p

Speaking of the "new" Input System I'd be much happier with it if it had implementations for common mobile touch gestures.

Unifikation likes this.
  48. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

I'll add another one - immediately put resources into fixing the Input System. Last update was in August 2023 for current LTS, I still can't add new actions with my mouse since the input system UI is broken. And many issues have gone unfixed for a year or longer.

See also Caves of Qud dev's experience: https://twitter.com/unormal/status/1759430601994584394

I just don't get their resource allocation and priorities. Literally all apps in Unity need input but it's terribly broken in a lot of use cases past basic input down/up scenarios.

Unifikation likes this.
  49. bugfinders

bugfinders

what stops you? i found switching to text layout and copying and pasting an entry and editing was the easiest answer cos it is fubar.

50. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

I just navigate with the keyboard but the broken UI is the least of the input system's issues. Seems for a while now Unity offer incomplete, broken packages that studios have resources to fix with a dedicated engineer or two, but I don't have that capacity as a hired hand. My schedule is already full without having to do Unity's job on top of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.