Search Unity

What will happen?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by theave8tor, Sep 15, 2010.

1. theave8tor

theave8tor

Hi,

I'm new to development and I still can't do anything with it. I am trying to learn Java Script and the whole Unity thing, but I have a question.

If I start learning in Unity 2.6, then what happens whenever the Free Unity for Unity 3 comes out? Will I be able to switch with ease? Or will there even be a free version?

Thanks guys!

Grant

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

There will be a free version and switching will be relatively easy cause UnityScript is still there though more powerfull but also a bit more programming than just hacking oriented

3. theave8tor

theave8tor

What do you mean by UnityScript? I thought Java Script is just what it used? And hacking oriented???

4. Dreamora

Dreamora

the old name was finally dropped. Its now called UnityScript cause it has nothing to do with what is commonly considered javascript at all.

and "hacking oriented" in this context meant that there is now a better support for more complex kinds of types (with generics and interfaces) which has an impact on automagic (dynamic typing and dynamic type inference which allows you to just have var xy = GetComponent(...) for example).
    If you worked with #pragma strict so far though it will be straight forward

5. theave8tor

theave8tor

Ahhh! Okay. Thanks for the help!
    Are the tutorials on Unity's website still valid? Or are those Java Script? And should I still try to learn Java Script or if I'm planning on using Unity is it even worth it?

6. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Learning to program will help a great deal, whether Javascript or something else...the language itself isn't that big of a concern, since while the syntax might not be the same, the general concepts are.

--Eric

7. Dreamora

Dreamora

Its still worth it.
    For general programming learning as Eric5h5 points out but also cause the knowledge you gain on UnityScript will pretty much transfer over including large parts of your scripts

8. theave8tor

theave8tor

Thanks guys for helping me get on my feet! Can't wait to find the time away from french homework and geometry to learn this stuff!

Again thanks a ton,

Grant Williams