Search Unity

What will happen if build cache missed?

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by Thermos, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Thermos

Thermos

I recently ran into a very big trouble, adding one asset into a group that marked as Pack Separately, that entire group gets rebuild. The worst thing is, steam up-loader consider all those bundles as new files.

I guess that's something related to build cache missing. Because if I clear all caches, the first 5 to 6 times of update work as expected. When the cache size exceeds the limit (I set it to 30GB), building became slow and more files need to be upload.

But to my understanding, I think if addressable encounters cache missing, the only penalty should be a slower building process, the output should still be the same.

So I'm a little bit confused, and hope to know how build cache works exactly. We can't have 200GB space just for storing caches which grows up every fast even if you change one thing every build(for us, 10GB the first build, and 4GB every build after), and that's very common during iteration.

Another thing confused me is, how exactly should we "update" if we do not release bundles on a remote server.......non-static bundle + update? static bundle + update ? static bundle + new build ? non-static bundle + new build?

Thanks.

2. Thermos

Thermos

So after manually compare all bundles' hash code, turns out this problem is cause by steam uploader using an outdated manifest file, it has nothing to do with Addressable. Addressable produces bundles incrementally and accurately even when build caches are missing.

Sorry for the interruption.