Search Unity

What visual scripting/FSM tool should I use, if any?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Haserhud, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Haserhud

Haserhud

Hi all,

Complete newbie here. I've tried to learn to code and I'm finding my brain is not built for it. I'm a severely math-stupid, visual kind of person. Maybe I could become competent in C# if I had infinite time and energy, but I've got to work for a living and this is just something I'm able to work on in my free time here and there. If I have to rely on coding and to get this done, it will never happen.

I am trying to create a 2d "bullet hell" type game with an emphasis on dodging enemies and terrain. The conceit of the game is that everything in the level, from the scrolling/movement of the screen to the appearance and movement of enemies, is in sync with a non-looping music track. If you can survive to the end of the track, you pass the level. The movements of the player are NOT in sync with the music and are unrestricted. The player freely flies around and dodges things. So although it's music-based, it's not really a rhythm game as far as player movement is concerned.

Is such a game possible to create using a visual scripting/FSM tool? If so, which one? Right now I'm eyeing uScript or Playmaker

Thanks!

PS. I realize that even with a visual scripting tool I may still need to work with a bit of code from time to time. I am OK with that, as long as I don't have to use code to create the majority of the game.

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  2. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Playmaker is nice, you can make your own actions in c# for it, this way you will learn code and also use visual scripting fsm at the same time

3. Haserhud

Haserhud

Thank you! I'll look into Playmaker :)