Search Unity

What version of Unity is best for Hololens development at this time?

Discussion in 'VR' started by LTPStudioXR, Jan 3, 2018.

1. LTPStudioXR

LTPStudioXR

Jan 3, 2018
    I'm developing with Hololens on Unity 2017.3.0.0f3 and have found that holograms built and running on the HL are incredibly unstable (color separation, judder, swim and a few others) while walking around them.
    The exact same scene/project built with 2017.2.0f3 produces the desired effect; very stable holograms.
    I'm reaching out to find out if there is an ideal Unity version or even an ideal combination of Unity version, SDK version, VS version, etc to develop with at this time (hence the date reference at the top)
    I'll add a usage case to further specify my needs.
    I want to place a table size hologram, connect to it via another HL, android, iOS, and PC-standalone over UNET.
    Additionally, a HL will be streaming its video feed and mobile devices will be using AR (vuforia or arKit)

Phatage13 likes this.
  2. JasonCostanza

JasonCostanza

Unity Technologies

Hey lessthanproductive,

The current release of Unity on https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download is the one we recommend. You're welcome to file bugs in regards to your performance jittering and we would be able to take a look at your repro project from there. Hope that helps.

3. rsmeenk

rsmeenk

Version 2017.2.0f3 seems to be the latest version that does not experience the stability issues. I filed a bug report for the issue here. https://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?982876_ta6idnss3f18g01m
    I am hoping someone at Unity can confirm this issue and hopefully a fix, because I see more and more people running into it.

Phatage13 likes this.
  4. Phatage13

Phatage13

I can report similar tracking issues along with the color separation. I've only tried it with the same app between 2017.1.1f1 and 2017.2.1f1 but this would be consistent with what's been said above.

Knowing that the device is flashing 4 different color channels in succession leads me to believe that there's one or more changes in the API that are making the processing slower, effectively reducing either the framerate and/or response to head movement.

5. JasonCostanza

JasonCostanza

Unity Technologies

Using the project rsmeenk posted I was able to reproduce the color separation. I promoted the bug on to our team and made it public so you can track the progress.

6. rsmeenk

rsmeenk

7. marjan

marjan

i also experienced this. 2017.2.0f3 was good, but 2017.2.p2 went downhill in Terms of Color Separation. MR Toolkit was used by the way.

8. jghospital

jghospital

The problem is supposed to be relationed with Unity as it dissapears with older versions, but how can we be sure it's not a MRTK issue with Unity? I've benn trying different versions of projects with multipleversions of Unity, but in every probal I've obiously use MRTK as I need it to work... Maybe it's making things work in a bad way.

9. StephenHodgson-Valorem

StephenHodgson-Valorem

Because it's reproducible without the MRTK

10. sebrk_hiq

sebrk_hiq

Unrelated but 2017.3.0.f3 my anchors doesnt seem to stick to world but rather local coordinate system. So loading an anchor from the store makes it display at 0,0,0 (if the gameobject without the anchor is placed there).

11. Deleted User

Deleted User

12. jghospital

jghospital

It doesn't seem to be released yet.

13. JasonCostanza

JasonCostanza

Unity Technologies

The fix is released in 2017.3.1p1, and 2018.1.0b7. It looks like the 17.2 release is running a little later but looks to be on track for the next release from what I'm seeing.

Deleted User likes this.
  14. Deleted User

Deleted User

Awesome, thanks. Just tested it with 2017.3.1p1

15. jghospital

jghospital

The original bug code was 982876 but the supposed correcetion is 993880 so, are we talking about the same bug?

16. JasonCostanza

JasonCostanza

Unity Technologies

They're the same bug.

17. bowmanbb

bowmanbb

It seems that MS recommend Unity 2017.1:
    https://developer.microsoft.com/en-...the_tools#installation_checklist_for_hololens

Unity recommend 2017.2 but that has this stability issue, and the fix is only available in 2017.3+

Older versions had performance bugs and regressions, and would not recover if tracking was lost.

What versions are people successfully using for performant, reliable and stable Hololens experiences at the moment?
    Is it even possible to find the older "f" versions any more?

Thanks

18. jghospital

jghospital

Stability issues bug, according to bug report, is fixed in beta 2018.1, what about 2017?

I´m still having stabilization issues in 2017.3.1p1 and 2017.3.1p2, less than previous versions but in my opinion it's not still fixed. Is anybody feeling that too?

19. rsmeenk

rsmeenk

@jghospital I had the same feeling so I just retested my stabilization bug test project with 2017.3.1p2 and 2017.2.0f3. I could not see a difference in behavior between those two projects. I noticed some rotational instability in both, but I found that it is related to where you are looking. I use the Holotoolkit/MRToolkit and I believe that this automatically sets the stabilization plane to where the cursor intersects the 3D world. If I look at the back of a 1x1m flat plane and move my head up and down then the front of the plane seems a little more instable. If I look at the front of that plane and move my head up and down then the back seems more instable.

20. Deleted User

Deleted User

@jghospital how is 2017.3.1p1 not fixing the stabilization issue? It totally made a change regarding previous versions. Has it been even more stable at some point?

21. jghospital

jghospital

We didn't prove every sittuation with previous versions, and we haven't done it with the new ones either, but I'm pretty sure that bug keeps on affecting stabilization. Moreover, in previous versions the jittering appeared mostly when moving around models and in head rotations but not in head statis scenarios, and now I can feel jittering from my desktop chair...

22. rwblodgett

rwblodgett

I have installed 2017.3.1p4 and there is clearly a problem with the stabilization plane. As I look around a 360 turn the stabilization plane goes in front of and behind the camera when viewing in the web portal 3d View. I was hoping the issue was fixed after reading through this thread. I really don't want to have our whole team revert to 2017.2.

23. JasonCostanza

JasonCostanza

Unity Technologies

We implemented a fix for stabilization a few weeks ago, if you're seeing new issues with it I encourage you to file a bug with a repro project so we can take a look at what you got

24. AvatarJoe

I have to confirm with rwblodgett that 2017.3.1p4 with MRTK 2017.2.1.3 are having hologram stability issues. My hologram is being used on a large scale object (17m length and 10m width) and it seems to move with the camera as I walk around it. I tried increasing the default distance with the stabilization plane and I am also using anchors but i noticed that even turning my head left and right causes the hologram to sway. The hologram placement is also not very stable as it seems to follow me slightly as I walk backwards or as I walk around it. Though it will re-position itself as I walk back to where I first planted it. Will Unity 2018 have this fixed or is there a new patch release coming out? One benefit I noticed is that walking through the hologram no longer results in a shaky stutter of the hologram. Builds that used Unity 5.6.5 with original version of HoloToolKit seemed to be very stable. I hope we can bring it back to where it was before the upgrades to 2017.3.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  25. StephenHodgson-Valorem

StephenHodgson-Valorem

Could be that the stabilization plane modifier is fighting with the shared depth buffer settings if you have it enabled.

Try removing that component from the camera and test again.

26. rwblodgett

rwblodgett

@StephenH-V, I have confirmed that is off.

27. jghospital

jghospital

Any update about this issue in new LTS version?

28. JasonCostanza

JasonCostanza

Unity Technologies

17.4 LTS is the same build as the latest 17.3 build. So any fixes that were in 17.3 should be also present in 17.4.

29. zain9

zain9

What about any version from 2018 and 2019 ?

30. JasonCostanza

JasonCostanza

Unity Technologies

What's your question refer to specifically? Currently 2018.4 is the LTS now which you can download here: https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/lts-releases?version=2018.4

This thread is quite old, was there a newer question I can try to answer for you?