Search Unity

What verified package even means these days?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ExtraCat, Jan 13, 2022.

1. ExtraCat

ExtraCat

After this answer from unity support I can't help but wonder what "verified" package means at all.

I mean, I thought it means that unity guarantees the package will work with specified version of unity and other packages verified for this unity version without bugs. And if there will be bugs, then at very least they will be fixed. But this answer from tech support easily destroys my theory.

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      263.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
  2. Murgilod

Murgilod

A dependency resolution factor doesn't really destroy that theory at all.

3. Ryiah

Ryiah

What you have here is a package that is dependent on a feature only available starting with a certain release of its dependency package. If you update the package depending on it you need to update the dependency too.

Verified doesn't guarantee that you won't have to update a package to support packages dependent on it. It just guarantees that there will be compatibility once you have the correct versions.

4. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

But doesn't the last sentence say that there isn't a compatible version? Furthermore, they're saying that the solution is to remove the other package, which the OP says is itself verified.

And if that is the case then it does directly contradict the Unity manual's definition of the "verified" package status (bold emphasis added):
    If it's a once off, no big deal, just flag it as a bug and move on.

xshadowmintx likes this.
  5. 2020.3.13f1 isn't a supported Unity version the begin with. We're at .26f1 as of today. And if I read the support mail correctly they said there is no working dependencies for that Unity version, I'm guessing there is one for the supported LTS version.

6. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

The point is that 2020.3.13f1 was at one time the supported LTS version, and the description for "verified" packages is being directly contradicted in this case.

As I said, if it's a once-off then it's no big deal.

Lurking-Ninja likes this.
  7. Ryiah

Ryiah

Like you said it's a bug. Someone allowed a version of a package through while forgetting that their dependency wasn't supported on that version of Unity. That doesn't suddenly invalidate the purpose of verified packages.

8. ExtraCat

ExtraCat

What kinda shocked me is that they suggested me to uninstall the PSD package I need for work instead of proposing to upgrade Unity or downgrade the Sprite Shape package (which are perfectly fine solutions I was going to follow regardless of their reply).

If I didn't need it, I wouldn't have installed it in the first place, you know o_O

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022