Search Unity

What Unity version better for Android? 2018.4.14f1 LTS or the newest 2019.2.17f1

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by seseguy, Jan 4, 2020.

1. seseguy

seseguy

I develop games for Android. Now I use Unity version 2018.3.9
    I want to upgrade to the fresh version. What version is better?

2018.4.14f1 LTS is the latest of 2018 releases. It's final release with all bugs fixed (i hope so) and the most stable, good version.

2019.2.17f1 is the newest one today, but you know, it's still in development. A month ago I installed 2019.2.15 and now we have 2019.2.17 so things change very fast.

Does 2019.2.17f1 have any striking features over 2018.4.14f1 LTS for the mobile game development? Or should I avoid experiments with the newest Unity and migrate my projects to 2018.4.14f1 LTS?

I would be very glad to hear your opinion! :)

2. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

You need to establish some criteria on which to judge 'better' in your specific circumstances. Personally...

For games of low complexity I'd probably use the latest version, and freeze the version once your game reaches a reasonable stable point. Rationale: you might occasionally need to tweak things and fix a few bugs but this generally wont be an issue for relatively simple mobile games; if a bug makes it through QA it's probably not a major problem if you investment is low.

For larger projects with more of an investment I'd stick with LTS unless you need specific features of newer versions. Rationale: testing all the different behaviours and devices becomes exponentially more time-consuming as the games complexity increases; at the same time bugs that make it through QA in such a project are potentially more damaging.

3. Ryiah

Ryiah

Joe-Censored and angrypenguin like this.
  4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Questions such as which is "better" are usually impossible questions to answer because you're asking people who don't know what criteria is actually better for you. Either choice is arguably better depending on what you're actually making, what third party assets or code you may want to use, what Unity features you plan to use, and what time frame you plan to complete the project.

Ryiah likes this.
  5. gravisxv

gravisxv

Everything after 2018.4 is more buggy due to more features. I wont recommend an upgrade.

damham and mgear like this.