Search Unity

Question What units does [Set Position (Sequential: ThreeDimensional)] use?

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by highlyinteractive, Mar 31, 2021.

1. highlyinteractive

highlyinteractive

I'm trying to make a 2D grid of cubes in VFX graph, but I can't work out what measurement units the count & axis properties use.

Here's my graph:

My expectation is that either the Axis should put a gap of 10 units between each cube, or it should divide the position of each 10 cubes between 10 units (a gap of 1 per cube). The cubes are 1x1x1, so if it's the second option, there shouldn't be any gaps or overlap between the cubes.

But that's not what is happening:

The beige cube is a standard 1x1x1 unity cube. As you can see, the gap between the cubes is slightly more than 1 unit.

How are the distances between cubes calculated? Can someone please help me understand how this node works?

Thanks!

2. DRandall

DRandall

You should set the x and z axis to 9

If you manually build a grid with mesh cubes in your scene it'll be a little more clear. In a 10x10 grid, you need to account for the origin being a space itself which is .5 units in either direction.

3. highlyinteractive

highlyinteractive

Thanks,

I'm a little confused that there's still a 1 unit gap between the cubes, but having the count refer to the gaps rather than the particle does at least make a bit of sense

4. KingKRoecks

KingKRoecks

Hey, just wanted to necro-thread here.

This information helped me reach my goal, which is to say that the current variable naming conventions and scaling mechanisms in VFX Graph can be extremely unintuitive.