Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.

Question What units does [Set Position (Sequential: ThreeDimensional)] use?

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by highlyinteractive, Mar 31, 2021.

1. highlyinteractive

highlyinteractive

I'm trying to make a 2D grid of cubes in VFX graph, but I can't work out what measurement units the count & axis properties use.

Here's my graph:

My expectation is that either the Axis should put a gap of 10 units between each cube, or it should divide the position of each 10 cubes between 10 units (a gap of 1 per cube). The cubes are 1x1x1, so if it's the second option, there shouldn't be any gaps or overlap between the cubes.

But that's not what is happening:

The beige cube is a standard 1x1x1 unity cube. As you can see, the gap between the cubes is slightly more than 1 unit.

How are the distances between cubes calculated? Can someone please help me understand how this node works?

Thanks!

2. DRandall

DRandall

You should set the x and z axis to 9

If you manually build a grid with mesh cubes in your scene it'll be a little more clear. In a 10x10 grid, you need to account for the origin being a space itself which is .5 units in either direction.

3. highlyinteractive

highlyinteractive

Thanks,

I'm a little confused that there's still a 1 unit gap between the cubes, but having the count refer to the gaps rather than the particle does at least make a bit of sense