Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Question What type of game should I make as a first time publisher?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Asough, Mar 4, 2024.

1. Asough

Asough

I'm looking to publish a game on Steam sooner or later. What type of game should I publish first, if I just want to publish something that isn't too ambitious?

I'd like to hear some suggestions.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2024
  2. halley

halley

We're not a marketing support group. Have you started with smaller projects to be sure you understand the technical process? The rest is just a matter of deciding what appeals to people, plus a lot of reaching out to those people to make sure they know you have a game.

First, make games because you want to make games. If you make a game YOU want to play, then your game might appeal to others too.

3. spiney199

spiney199

Maybe just finish a small game that you don't intend to publish first, or can be thrown up on itch.io. As in make something from start to end even if it's not original, because I don't think you've done even that yet.

You're getting ahead of yourself.

4. Asough

Asough

Yes I know, but I don't know what type of game I should try to create first?

Also, it seems like there a lot of pretty terrible games for sale on the steam shop, so the bar seems to be pretty low.

That's why I'm thinking of creating something simple and easy first and publishing it on Steam, just to get an idea of what it's like to publish a game.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2024
  5. halley

halley

spiney199 likes this.
  6. Asough

Asough

I'm not really sure if that's something that I'd like to make, but I'm going to look at some different games on the steam shop, to see if I can find some inspiration.

I will keep itch.io in mind as well.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2024