Search Unity

Question What triggers the Teleport Select action in Toolkit 2.3 and what is the intended usage?

Discussion in 'XR Interaction Toolkit and Input' started by FarmerInATechStack, Mar 14, 2023.

1. FarmerInATechStack

FarmerInATechStack

My question is the thread title.

Context
    • I'm following this video on using multiple interactors.
      • The intended usage from the video seems to be: use Teleport Activate to activate a teleport ray with the joystick and use Teleport Select to execute a teleport when the joystick is released.
    • I can complete a teleport if I use the usual Select action. If I try to use Teleport Select, the functionality in the video does not work. That is leading me to think that I am using Teleport Select incorrectly.
    • It seems like the default behavior of Teleport Select is to fire when the joystick is pressed and that's what I see in the debugger. I've also attached an image of the mapping I see below.
      • That doesn't make sense to me though because I believe the intended usage (also shown in the video) is to only teleport when the joystick is released and after Teleport has been activated.
    upload_2023-3-13_19-6-42.png

2. FarmerInATechStack

FarmerInATechStack

For any future followers, I believe I just had a configuration issue in the editor itself.

That video is also a bit out of date with the XRI Examples and updated prefabs. Those make this easier to configure by default.

VRDave_Unity likes this.
  3. VRDave_Unity

VRDave_Unity

Unity Technologies

Hey @FarmerInATechStack,
    I'm glad you were able to figure some of it out based on the Example project. As for the behavior you want to create, you can look at another example of this in our XRI Starter Assets, included in the XRI package as a sample that can be imported using the Package Manager. This sample package includes the Action behavior you are looking to replicate located in the
    XRI Default Input Actions.inputactions
    and then navigate to either the XRI Right Hand Locomotion Action Map or the XRI Left Hand Locomotion Action Map.

FarmerInATechStack likes this.
  4. FarmerInATechStack

FarmerInATechStack

Thanks @VRDave_Unity for the tip above and also for the work you've shared! I first saw the XRI examples on your Dev Days Talk but then couldn't find it for a while. I assumed it just wasn't released. It's awesome to have found though and my only wish so far is that I found it sooner.

In case it's useful to you, I also wanted to let you know that some commenters on that Dev Days video wanted to find the project link too. I tried to share the direct link but it keeps getting removed, so I've stopped.

5. VRDave_Unity

VRDave_Unity

Unity Technologies

No problem, I'm happy to help. In terms of the project, you probably couldn't find it sooner because we just released it a few weeks ago. It got held up a bit internally before it was ready to be publicly launched. We have some additional updates to the project landing soon as well.

FarmerInATechStack likes this.