Search Unity

What tools and techniques do you use to record and share your work ?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by aditimore303, Dec 11, 2018.

1. aditimore303

aditimore303

When developing video games or any visual application, we often find ourselves needing skills or tools that we didn't first consider. And because it can be so easy to get wrapped up in what WE can see (our code, our assets, our game design), we'll often ignore what others can see, (footage, screen captures, gifs). Which can Movies series world be quite harmful if you're trying to drum up support for your latest project. Because saying that you're working on a game is good, but showing that you are is always better.
    has always been an open showcase for just that, with conversations moving onto what's being shown. But one useful question that doesn't get asked enough is, "How did you film that?"

That may seem trivial to lots of you, but remember, I'm a mod and therefore an idiot. I actually don't know how all of you make those giffy things. What's a webm? How did you record footage for your trailer? How did you edit, save, and upload it? Etc.

So I've made this thread to ask you all....

What tools and techniques do you use to record and share your work? Along with any tips, tutorials, costs, downloads, or social media concerns you might deal with ?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

For desktop games, I record the screen (and audio) with QuickTime Player. Edit with iMovie. For mobile, I usually do the same by simply running my game within Unity (so I'm actually recording the Game tab). For a quick animated GIF, I use licecap.

On Oculus Go, it's much harder... that's a specialized thing all in itself.

Ryiah likes this.
  3. Ryiah

Ryiah

OBS Studio. It's capable of both recording and streaming which makes it very popular with people who regularly stream to YouTube and Twitch. If you intend to use it for streaming you will need to use the 32-bit release as the plugin (OBS Virtual Cam) that assists with it only functions on that release. Both the program and the plugin are completely free.

https://obsproject.com/
    https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/obs-virtualcam.539/