Search Unity

What to use?

Discussion in 'Connected Games' started by rogerdv, Sep 6, 2019.

1. rogerdv

rogerdv

Im planning to start developing a MOBA game, and Im researching available network options. The requirements are to be independent of any cloud service (will be deployed in a private network first) and to be able to scale from a few dozen to 3-4 thousand concurrent players or more.
    Currently, seems that Unity is a bit limited in that aspect, as the new networking API is experimental and the opinions are very confusing. So far I have just discovered Network Transport, which is very low level, and I think there is also something referred as DOTS-Netcode, which I havent been able to find (having limited internet time doesnt helps). Are Network Transport and Netcode the same thing? If not, where can I download Netcode?

2. MrsPiggy

MrsPiggy

I have suggested www.smartfoxserver.com to different people who have asked similar questions. Imho it is probably one of the best client-server solutions around, especially for multi-platform clients. Tons of features, solid performance, good docs and support.
    The problem with low level solutions is evaluating how much work you have to add for stuff like match-making, room management, admin services and the like.

3. Binary42

Binary42

"Free version allows 100 concurrent users..." etc. same as Unity or Photon.

4. TwoTen

TwoTen

MLAPI is a free and open source high level library you can use. No limits.

It has a relay, many low level transports and tons of other features. https://mlapi.network/features/

Joe-Censored likes this.