Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

What to use?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by rogerdv, Sep 6, 2019.

1. rogerdv

rogerdv

Im planning to start developing a MOBA game, and Im researching available network options. The requirements are to be independent of any cloud service (will be deployed in a private network first) and to be able to scale from a few dozen to 3-4 thousand concurrent players or more.
    Currently, seems that Unity is a bit limited in that aspect, as the new networking API is experimental and the opinions are very confusing. So far I have just discovered Network Transport, which is very low level, and I think there is also something referred as DOTS-Netcode, which I havent been able to find (having limited internet time doesnt helps). Are Network Transport and Netcode the same thing? If not, where can I download Netcode?

2. MrsPiggy

MrsPiggy

I have suggested www.smartfoxserver.com to different people who have asked similar questions. Imho it is probably one of the best client-server solutions around, especially for multi-platform clients. Tons of features, solid performance, good docs and support.
    The problem with low level solutions is evaluating how much work you have to add for stuff like match-making, room management, admin services and the like.

3. Binary42

Binary42

"Free version allows 100 concurrent users..." etc. same as Unity or Photon.

4. TwoTen

TwoTen

MLAPI is a free and open source high level library you can use. No limits.

It has a relay, many low level transports and tons of other features. https://mlapi.network/features/

Joe-Censored likes this.