Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question What to use to performance test XR (Quest)

Discussion in 'Testing & Automation' started by svenneve, Feb 23, 2023.

1. svenneve

svenneve

Since every newer URP version (from 2019.x and up) seems to degrade performance more and more in VR, and Unity support seems to want me to test 'properly', I would like to know, what version of the XR performance test git repos to use (say for 2021.1.x and up, and 2019 if possible for baseline).

So far, there seems to be a bunch of repos (none of them seem to be updated in years), and after 2 days of trying to fight through the dependency hell, absolute S***e docs, asmdef clusterf*** and endless errors, I seem to be at the point i want to just give up on test runner and write my own using the OVRMetricsTool provided by Oculus.

But, I rather use the provided tools by Unity, in the (maybe misplaced) hope that that is the proper way (I know, I should know by now after using Unity since version 3 that nothing seemingly works out of the box or in actual production with this company, but I would like to be proven wrong for once on this front.)

2. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

Wouldn't it make more sense to use your own project(s) for measuring performance differences in different Unity versions?

Keep in mind that such tests are typically measuring a single aspect each and it'll be hard to assess how changes in individual tests relate to an actual project's performance. So in that sense, measure an actual project, rather than looking at low-level / artificial test runs.

3. svenneve

svenneve

Well, that's what I was trying to do, run a test on my own project. But since adding the test runner and XR test utilities to that project added nothing but errors, and not a single simple empty test runs, so, I wanted to check what I'm doing wrong, but none of the examples I can download will run out of the box.
    The idea is to see how Unity envisions testing an XR project and from there build my own tests for the test runner, but none of their examples seems to work (and the docs are not helping either.)