Search Unity

Question What to expect if using third party assets?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Fufurata1234, Feb 14, 2023.

1. Fufurata1234

Fufurata1234

Hi all,
    To be honest this may be my first serious project in unity and first project where we may use third party purchased assets. I have enough details about unity to make decision but not quite sure about third party assets. On one hand using them may save us from unnecessary work and may prove time and cost effective. But...
    But there is a question I try to answer. Suppose we buy some assets from Unity asset store, some 3d models from another sites, some music etc... And we have all this absolutely legally used in our game. And there may be hundreds of such assets. And then creators of those assets may ask us to prove we using their assets legally and I may need to answer hundreds of letters from hundreds or people, or even thousands - damn! and I will need to send them order number and such bullshit.
    You probably see my point - I would love to save money and time, but if it leads to such mess - then lets do everything ourselves.
    Thats why I created this topic. What can you say guys, from your experience - did you have to respond authors and such things? Is this ig pain?

2. halley

halley

You buy something. Unity gives you access to download something. Unity keeps a record of your purchase. Unity gives you a RECEIPT showing you purchased it. You put that receipt in a safe place. Done.

(And if you forget what you bought, Unity can give you that list again.)

I've never been asked to back up my claim that I have the right to use an asset. Perhaps someone else here has. Probably working with big publishers, they may ask you to list all the third-party licenses, so they can track them. Nobody's been asked to "answer hundreds of letters from hundreds or people, or even thousands."

If you have hundreds of assets, you will definitely start organizing your inventory. Organize your receipts while you're at it.

chemicalcrux likes this.