Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

What to do exactly in Blender and Unity

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by GameMarshal, Dec 14, 2020.

1. GameMarshal

GameMarshal

Hi,

I watched tutorials about the workflow between these two softwares, and just want to be sure what I have to do in Blender first, then what I have to do in Unity in a second time.

For now, I have a model in Blender. I still have to do the UV unwrapping and texturing, and the animations.

The model is a tank, so in Blender, I do the animations like driving, rotating (2 animations, since each track has its own direction whether the tank is turning to the right or left), shooting (one per weapon). Am I right?

In Gimp, I do my normal map and other maps I need to import later in Unity.

In Unity, I import my model,animations, textures.
    Then, I build the material.
    On top of the shooting animations, I have to do the muzzle flash of the cannon (which I can't do in Blender and import in Unity). Am I right?

I also use the animator rig so the turret can follow any object for example.

Thanks ;)

2. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

Yeah. If you want, make a 2d muzzle flash animation in gimp or photoshop, and use it as an animated texture in unity.

GameMarshal likes this.
  3. GameMarshal

GameMarshal

Thank you.
    The particle emitter uses surely more memory than a 2d texture, but does a 2d texture can be rendered 3d, have volume?

4. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

@GameMarshal Sorry for late reply.

Nah, that is the only downside, with using a 2d animated texture. You might have to use some tricks, to fake and make the 2d animated texture look 3d.

And yeah, particles do use alot of resources, if there are too many of them being used.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021