Search Unity

What to do after license subscription expires?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JawsHeartUnity, Dec 16, 2020.

1. JawsHeartUnity

JawsHeartUnity

Hello, Unity community!

First of all, I would like to apologize if the topic was not created correctly or in the wrong place, but it seems that I did not break the rules of the section.

So, we're planning to subscribe to Unity Plus for a year to develop our first game.
    However, there is a high probability that the game will not pay off; by the end of development, there will be no budget left to renew the Plus-license.
    1. What should be done in this situation? Do I need to remove apps from the AppStore?
    2. Can I get a Unity Free license, update the application for this license and release a new build in the AppStore? Do I need to do this immediately when my Unity Plus license expires?
    3. Is it possible to keep an application for sale in the AppStore until there is a need for a technical update and, as part of a technical update, also renew the license for Unity Free?
    4. Are there any clauses of the license agreement that exactly regulate this situation?

I carefully read the license agreement, but did not find instructions for this case. Maby, I was looking badly?
    Thank you in advance.

2. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Why get plus at all? Sounds like you don't need it.

Anyway, in answer to your questions:
    1. Your licence needs to be valid the days you open Unity. You don't need to maintain a Unity licence to keep an old product active, as long as you don't open the editor.
    2. Yes you can. As long as you are under the revenue threshold you can downgrade a project from plus to free with not problems. No, you do not need to make a new build, old builds are still valid under the licence they were built with.
    3. Yes.
    4. Not really.

JawsHeartUnity likes this.
  3. JawsHeartUnity

JawsHeartUnity

Just to remove the "Unity" splash screen.
    Also, it seems like the memory profiler is not available on the free version. A useful thing.

Thanks for answer, so much. This is really good news for me.

But what can I refer to in order to legally protect myself if I receive a letter from Unity Tecnologies that I have big problems.
    Which of the paragraphs of the EULA will confirm that the license is valid specifically for working in the Unity environment and compiling a game build, but NOT on the use and distribution of the game assembly.

This moment is really important to me, as I do not want to have problems with the law.

4. MDADigital

MDADigital

You dont get any support on personal thats a reason for pro :p

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  5. Havyx

Havyx

Why not develop using the free version and then switch to the plus license before launch in order to remove the splash screen?

Not exactly a strong start if you don't have faith in your game before you've even started development. Have you considered something that would take a shorter dev cycle (3-6 months) in order to try and obtain some revenue that could be used to develop a larger, more complex game?

6. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

I am getting good support on Plus :)

7. JawsHeartUnity

JawsHeartUnity

Yes, but it doesn't change anything. Even if you subscribe before release and the project turns out to be commercially unsuccessful, the license subscription will still expire in a year. And I want to know for sure if I should keep an eye on this.
    I am not considering faith. The result will not change whether I believe in it or not. I just calculate all the possible outcomes and labor costs to provide a business plan for the development team. Faith doesn't matter here.

This is the subject of discussion for the development team, where the game designer will most likely have the last word.
    At this stage I am more interested in legal issues, this is my place and my task.

8. MDADigital

MDADigital

Yeah I meant plus/pro vs personal. We need to start our plus subscription again before we go live with our sp/coop release so I get some support on our remaining issues. :)

9. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

And I get good support regardless of license.

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  10. MartinTilo

MartinTilo

Unity Technologies

Thank you. And no it is totally available for anyone on any version from 2018.3 and up. But it is sadly still in preview and thus has been removed from easy access via the package manager UI in 2021.1. You have to manually enter it into the manifest file. Once it's in there, you can update it again from the package manager UI. If you first need a valid version for this, you can enter
    Code (CSharp):
    1.     "com.unity.memoryprofiler": "0.2.6-preview.1",
    in there or get a version string from the memory profiler's manual pages (e.g. the top left hand version drop-down or the changelog.

11. JawsHeartUnity

JawsHeartUnity

12. Havyx

Havyx

"UI Developer working on the Profiling Tool Stack"

You might be better off submitting a request to customer service for a definitive answer about your licensing issue.

https://support.unity.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Kiwasi, Ryiah and MartinTilo like this.
  13. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

To get the most valuable thing Unity has to offer.
    They have spent many many years cultivating an association of their logo with crappy games, it is now time to reap the rewards of their efforts to make people too ashamed to use Personal, even if they technically can.

It's business 101.
    Support on Pro is pretty bad.

14. MDADigital

MDADigital

All our bug reports got attention when we were on Plus, though we always make good repro projects.

15. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Attention, meaning what?

Them acknowledging bug reports is not support.

16. MDADigital

MDADigital

True, but attention is first step ;) they have fixed most of them too. But some do remain though. Like the one were a reflection probe with prio 1 is inside a probe with prio 0 and objects within prio 1 probe still receives reflection from prio 0