Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

What the hell? Videos on Unity website demand targeting cookies

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Romano, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Ryiah

Ryiah

Incognito only serves to make the tracking cookie ineffective. It doesn't eliminate the cookie nor does it prevent the message.

There's an easy way to back that statement up isn't there? Just visit the code that I provided earlier and see if it gives you the message.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  2. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

She is saying what Ryiah is saying. To rephrase:

Youtube automatically downloads cookies without asking permission. Unity wants to make sure user permission is granted before those cookies are downloaded. Thus, they block the videos until you explicitly say "Yes, allow these cookies."

At that point, your normal browser extensions can permit or deny the Youtube cookies that accompany the video.

@AskCarol is this correct?

Ryiah likes this.
  3. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

Why? This isn't something I'm prepared to do for every video I want to watch on Unity's sites. Nor should all the other Unity users be forced to do it. Just because a few clever people can find ways around these blocks is NOT a solution. Forcing users to get special browser plugins, or change their security settings, or hack the source code to view videos is NOT a solution. Unity created this problem by the way they implemented their new cookie policies. They need to fix it so that users can access these videos without taking any of the extraordinary measures proposed here.

So instead of this:

cookie-example.png

where the Cookie Settings button does nothing in my browser, they should do something more like this:

new-cookie-example.png

Is that too much to ask? YouTube already has a button at the bottom of their embedded videos to view them on the YouTube site, but you can't use it if the entire video is blocked by a banner message. They don't need to globally allow these videos, but they do need to get out of the way.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  4. Ryiah

Ryiah

I provided it as a way that you could prove me wrong. If the link from the source shows the message then it means the culprit is YouTube, but if the message does not show up then that means the culprit is Unity.

5. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

OK, I tried the link - thanks for posting a picture instead of just copy/pasting the source text btw :rolleyes: - and after typing it into my browser, it worked just fine. I was also able to embed it into my own web page - hosted by Google - and it was also playable there. So according to your explanation above, this means the culprit is Unity? At this point, I'm not really sure what it proves, since I don't know where you got it, or whether it would have worked for me in its original context. But since you're the one conducting this test, please tell me what you think my results prove - and why. Then maybe explain how knowing this will allow me to view these videos without changing my cookie policies, because that's the problem I really want to solve - and the only test that really matters.

Edit: To verify these results in the "real" world, I tried copying a few blocked YouTube embed codes from Asset Store listings and other forum pages, and was able to view them all - without changing my cookie settings. While doing his makes viewing these videos at least possible, I don't consider it a solution, since it's awkward and time consuming for the average user. What's next? "For your safety, Unity has abandoned web based delivery altogether. From now on. all Unity content needs to be accessed by telnet, using FTP and an archie search..." o_O

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    Ryiah likes this.
  6. Ryiah

Ryiah

Straight out of the source of the first page of this thread.

I'd have to go digging through more code than I care to to verify but that's the theory.

It doesn't but then I haven't been focused on finding a solution (thanks entirely to being unable to reproduce the message on my end) but rather determining who is likely the true culprit.

We are talking about the company that thought Lithium was a sound decision. :p

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    FargleBargle likes this.
  7. AlicePuderbaugh

AlicePuderbaugh

FYI I found a fix that worked for me:
    I use Chrome on Windows with uBlock Origin with all lists enabled (very restrictive).
    1) Disable uBlock (click the icon)
    2) Reload the unity page (tested on https://learn.unity.com/tutorial/statics-l)
    3) Unity then pops up their cookies policy click-through at the bottom of the page.
    4) Click Accept All Cookies (how is this protecting privacy?)
    5) Then you can turn uBlock back on and the videos should auto-play.

8. nasos_333

nasos_333

I got same issue with my asset, when use play list with link to list directly yhan the first list video.

This was working before, but cant tell if unity side changed or youtube inserted some new requirement

Attached Files:

9. Yanus3D

Yanus3D

10. M_R

M_R

I just noticed that the replacement of youtube embeds into the "content blocked" panel is done asynchronously, so it doesn't even prevent the tracking (lol)

but then I was able to make youtube work again by blocking
    geolocation.onetrust.com
    with the
    Privacy Badger
    extension (I am using Brave)
    no disabling tricks or accepting stuff needed

Thanathos likes this.
  11. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Please everyone, don't be silly.

The feature is working exactly as intended.

The intent is to annoy you into accepting cookies anyway so Unity can get more precious data.

Of course it is async and it doesn't actually protect you, Unity doesn't care about your privacy.

Of course there isn't an easy way to bypass it, it is designed to be annoying so you start accepting cookies.

The other way to make it somewhat work is block all scripts on Unity forums, then you at least can click to open the video in a new window.

upload_2021-11-26_8-19-39.png

12. oen3

oen3

I have this same issue as well for over a year. Is it ever going to get fixed?

13. HELL_Walker

HELL_Walker

I cannot even see the "cookies setting", and clicking accept all cookies didnt work here, even disabling UBlock Origin

I dont wanna use another Browser only for Unity Asset Store, any tips ?

Chrome 100.0.4896.127

14. mishakozlov74

mishakozlov74

Same here, not possible to watch any video on Asset Store.

Thanathos and AndrewHerrera1998 like this.
  15. Thanathos

Thanathos

I am also on Brave but this doesn't works... still no videos on the asset store...

16. ALEXWARELLC

ALEXWARELLC

Don't you just love loopholes in the EU Cookie Law.

17. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Nah, this isn't EU Cookie Law, it's Unity shenaningans.

isaakpdm likes this.
  18. chrisrcisme

chrisrcisme

I've found a fix.

head to brave://settings/shields/filters

At the bottom "Create custom filters" add
    @@||https://unity3d.com/^$cookie
    @@||assetstore.unity.com^$cookie
    (You can swap the website url with any you want to allow cookies) and make sure each syntax are on separate lines

then in "Filter Lists" search for 'Notices' and "easylist-cookie list - filter obtrusive cookie notices" should come up only and enable it.

Close browser then open and should work as normal.

Found solution by using ChatGPT for anyones interest after a couple prompts and answers

19. isaakpdm

isaakpdm

Would it be possible to add a link to the videos that are blocked? That would be very helpful. As you are then not storing any personal data there is also no reason to worry about GDPR ^^

angrypenguin likes this.
  20. isaakpdm

isaakpdm

21. isaakpdm

isaakpdm

Look, it works here. Why not embed videos just like this in the Asset Store? ^^

22. Szczota95

Szczota95

I still can't get around that problem, I just started learning Unity and, I know, the videos I wanted to watch are not necessary for learning, but still I don't feel like I get the full experience without watching them. It's quite annoying especially since the Cookies Settings button on the bottom does literally nothing...

23. bugfinders

bugfinders

Like you I am getting sick of it. I tried a second browser, hell ive even looked on my phone.. none of them work, it is purely a unity thing and oddly the "coookie settings" at the bottom of the page doesnt click or do anything and so I cant seem to do anything about it.

******* I found an answer ********

So, i cant promise everyone it will work but i needed to enable cdn.cookielaw.org, geolocation.onetrust.com, www.googletagmanager.com

then, and only then did it ask me about cookies, and then and only then does it now show the wretched youtube videos, its like getting blood from a stone

Last edited: May 25, 2023
  24. nasos_333

nasos_333

For sure that is not how it is supposed to work.

I use Opera and can see them directly, in other browsers have million issues, both Mozilla and Chrome have the cookies issue and in one of them i need to be logged in to view any asset page, which is also crazy. After few secs of opening the page take me to the login page.

Those all need to be addressed asap

25. bugfinders

bugfinders

No, no its not.. but hey, if it works it works and life is short and im getting older :D

26. albertk91

albertk91

For anyone still having this issue, here's how I solved it here.
    I had Consent Blocker enabled in Firefox, so I didn't get the cookie popup at all. I made an exception for Unity, and turned only tracking cookies on in the consent window.
    It's not ideal, but given my settings and addons, those cookies aren't even getting created anyway. At least, now video embeds work again.

27. CenobiteShadoweaver

CenobiteShadoweaver

Look yeah you have to give them a COOKIE, it wants your information for it's A.I to use as a data bank to make new Tom Cruise films with.

28. Yanus3D

Yanus3D

The scary thing is not that people can create these fake videos but this:
    In the near future will be a battlefield between AI Deep Fake videos and AI Deep Fake Debunking Engines.
    Similar actions with bots in games and anti-bots engines try to recognize bots and send info to developers with confirmation to ban players.
    We create tools that have anti-tools.

29. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

Kinda like we create war machinery as well as armor and counter-measures against it, isn't it?

That's the price for a free internet, I suppose. That was already clear when emails and very quickly, spam came up.

30. CenobiteShadoweaver

CenobiteShadoweaver

For sure just creates more industry more A.I defeating other A.I in yet another marketplace for A.I and the tools it can be used with and what applications.
    A.I is just another tool set we as Humans have created to try an make our lives easier but inevitably makes things more difficult. One of lives catch 22 situations you'll get used too after a few decades on this planet.

If anything people seem so surprised by A.I when it's something sci-fi creators like Gene Roddenberry, Jules Vern & Orsen Wells wrote about years ago, Star Trek is still coming up with devices for our day & age.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2023
    DragonCoder likes this.
  31. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

We are not far from that.. A colleague of mine who has a young daughter mentioned that when they were at another house, she was confused that "Alexa, play [...] music" didn't do anything. xD

32. lclemens

lclemens

With brave browser on mobile... To kill the dreaded blue "Cookie Settings" button, which is a useless button because clicking it does nothing...

IMPORTANT Make notes of your current settings as you follow these steps...

1 - Settings/Brave Shields & privacy/Block Trackers & Ads : Allow all Ads & Trackers.

2 - Settings/Brave Shields & privacy/Block Cookies : Allow all cookies

3 - Settings/Site settings/Third-party cookies : Allow third-party cookies

4 - Settings/Site settings/Popups and redirects : Allow (enabled)

5 - Go to any video on the asset store. A window will pop up at the bottom of the screen. Allow all cookies. Close this tab.

6 - Open a new tab and go to any video on the asset store and ensure that it plays.

7 - Go back into settings and repeat steps 1 to 4, except this time change each setting to its original value so you can avoid Trackers and popups again.

And lastly... Thank Unity and Brave for wasting your time with this convoluted process.