Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

What text editor to use?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Drowzee, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Drowzee

Drowzee

Wondering which one you all prefer. Personally I've been using sublime text as it's what I'm most used to, since it's what I used when I messed around in Love2D (a LUA engine). I also use it because, in my case, things like MonoDevelop and Visual Studio take AGES to launch. I by no means have a bad computer but they just take sooooo long, i prefer the instant launch of sublime.

I'm sure most of you are Visual Studio/Mono Develop users, but I'm still curious what you use and, most importantly, why?

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

A combination of Visual Studio and Script Inspector 3. Visual Studio is my preferred choice but if you plan on using it you absolutely must have an SSD. Without an SSD my load times were at least a minute, but with an SSD the load times are at most a few seconds. Other specs like processor, memory, etc don't impact it anywhere near as much as an SSD.

Script Inspector 3 is my choice for making very quick modifications to scripts because it runs directly inside of Unity. If you lack an SSD this is about the only way to retain normal IDE features.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/3535

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    Kiwasi likes this.
  3. mechaniqe

mechaniqe

@Ryiah , thanks a lot for mentioning about Script Inspector asset, I was in need of something like that. Will make my life a lot easier.

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

Now, if you seriously want an ultra-lightweight text editor, use Notepad++ (Although it doesn't has debug options, i mainly use it for making mods). For unity i basically use MonoDevelop.

5. orb

orb

Visual Studio Code has become my primary editor for just about any language. Go, all web script and markup (including TypeScript), markdown, C#, Lua and other scripts. Just about the only thing I still use the big IDEs for is C++, which I don't do much of lately.

The info page on Unity support:
    https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/other/unity
    (Also check out the debugger extension linked from there!)

It's very lightweight and has the bonus of being cross-platform. If you switch between any combination of Linux, macOS and Windows like me, you have pretty much the same environment everywhere.

Ryiah likes this.
  6. Drowzee

Drowzee

Yeah I used Notepad++ before sublime, I liked it for more simple projects.

Oh I'll take a look at that. Looks like it's just a lighter Visual Studio, which will be great :)

7. orb

orb

It's got the name and a port of real IntelliSense™®©ß, but is otherwise a new codebase :)

It keeps getting better, and some of the important extensions for different languages (even non-MS ones) are developed in-house, and the devs are very responsive to bug reports.

Drowzee likes this.
  8. Drowzee

Drowzee

I'm using it right now, seems good so far. I got a question if you can answer it: How can I configure it so instead of formatting code like

void Update () {

}

its

void Update ()
    {

}

by default?

9. orb

orb

With extensions. I use C# FixFormat.