Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question What should I use to start new project?

Discussion in 'VR' started by roundyyy, Apr 22, 2023.

1. roundyyy

roundyyy

Hello,
    I was working for the last 3-4 years on VR project on Unity 2018 and then 2019, birp with openVR and steamVR (1.2.3), except couple issues I was pretty happy with workflow and results I had.
    I missed all these new features, bugs, issues with new Unity version and render pipelines plus I'm completely confused with current XR systems (especially after reading so many posts where people complain on everything currently with VR and Unity)
    I'm planning to start new VR project for PC/steam (and maybe for Quest). My question is (probably asked many times, apologise for this). Which Unity version should I use? is 2020 the most stable right now? What's about URP? Don't have much experience with this RP, I see lot of complaints about various versions. What's about input system/XR? What's about various headsets support and steam custom bindings? I did run couple tests on Unity 2020,2021 and 2020. Why everything is so slow there? Simple change in code makes me waiting for 5 minutes to compile. I was so happy with working with 2019 (openVR, birp, good results with optimization comparing to urp I tested, not instanced single pass stereo which was great) , but for obvious reasons it makes no sense to start new project on it.
    I would really appreciate any suggestions, because as far as I see, there is a pretty big mess now in VR and Unity now.
    Thank you in advance!

2. DevDunk

DevDunk

Personally I recommend the latest 2021LTS with URP. If setup properly you definitely get similar performance to BiRP, with more customisation and features.
    Anything 2022+ is a no-go for performance

3. roundyyy

roundyyy

Thank you!