Search Unity

What should I spend my money on?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mountainstream, Jun 30, 2019.

1. mountainstream

mountainstream

My next game is going to be an absolute smash hit. I can feel it. :cool: I estimate sales of $1 million per year.

So what I'm worried about what should I spend all my money on?

I don't want to end up like Notch all depressed in my Hollywood mansion.
    Also I get sunburned quite easily, so moving to a tropical island is out of the question.
    Should I buy a yacht and sail around?
    What do rich people do? Join a country club?

IcyPeak_S, ArtsyAngelee and Ony like this.
  2. Gor-Sky

Gor-Sky

On a psychiatrist specialized on megalomania :cool:

3. Peter77

Peter77

Charity. Help to make the world a better place.

4. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Get you a water wheel for that mountain stream, generate natural electricity for your next smash hit. Games built by renewable energy. How beautiful.

5. DreReid

DreReid

Rum and coke, blackjack, versace pastel shoes, rolex, lambourghini countach, gucci loafers. Dobt forget the women.

xVergilx, Ryiah and BIGTIMEMASTER like this.
  6. mountainstream

mountainstream

But I was told you can't buy love. ❤

7. Tom_Veg

Tom_Veg

8. PixelGX

PixelGX

Do you have proof you will make $1million each year?

9. Player7

Player7

You ain't thinking big enough, not moving to a tropical island because of the sun? ... just build an island preferably near or over one of these undersea coloured cables.. https://www.submarinecablemap.com/ ... then you also get a giant satellite dish above your mansion, that should keep out the sun and also give you a heads up on any alien invaders. Might want to look into finding a good arms dealer aswel .. probably need closer to a billion

Zarconis, SparrowsNest and Kiwasi like this.
  10. bobisgod234

bobisgod234

Invest the money and live off the interest.

chingwa likes this.
  11. Lurking-Ninja

Lurking-Ninja

You probably want to buy an igloo-mansion around the arctic.

12. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

If you actually make a million dollars on your game, the best move is to re-invest most of it. That is what really rich people do. Invest in a variety of assets including stocks, bonds, gold, and bitcoin. Really rich people typically do not spend all of their money on cars, boats, and houses. Most millionaires live relatively modest lives.

The most important thing to do regardless of how much money you have is to clearly define your life goals and then use money as a tool to help you achieve your goals. In nearly every case, investing will help you achieve your goals. In most cases, the real goals are things like the freedom to pursue creative projects or safety for their immediate family. Very few people have actual goals that cars or boats help towards.

Martin_H, IcyPeak_S, ikazrima and 3 others like this.
  13. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

I think you should spend your money on enabling people to live for a very long time.

They will gain skills and they'll add back of their own accord in the end. That's what I believe. It's a complex world now, people need to live longer to do something contributory.

Plus it'll take that long to finish your game.

14. Shiro_Rin

Shiro_Rin

Sorry, had to do it because it will never die.

Gor-Sky likes this.
  15. Murgilod

Murgilod

yeah well neither will he, judging by the 6 hours I had to put into that fight

Shiro_Rin likes this.
  16. aer0ace

aer0ace

@ShilohGames I'd like to hire you as my financial planner.

ShilohGames likes this.
  17. kdgalla

kdgalla

Gekigengar and chingwa like this.
  18. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

Real gold is a good asset to store monetary value, especially during stock market downturns. Gold colored assets from the asset store cannot do the same.

19. Player7

Player7

Gekigengar likes this.
  20. kdgalla

kdgalla

Plus, all you have to do is hit Ctrl-D a few times and you can have as much as you want!

21. frosted

frosted

One of these things is not like the others.

As for how you should spend the money, this old quote will guide you well:

“I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted.”
    -W.C.Fields.

22. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

You know that old study about the kids eating marshmellows but they'll get more later if they don' t eat them now? And kids who delay gratification are supposed to be the smart ones who will become rich?

Well, anybody with two eyes and a brain could have told you this, but now there is some new studies that suggest both kids who eat right away and those who wait are equally smart, it's just the financial situation at home which drives behavior (more complex than that, but I'm simplifying.) Rich kids know that mom is gonna take them out for ice cream later anyway, so why not wait like a good kid? Poor kids have to make a more complex calculation actually. If they don't eat it now, they may not get anything at all. So is it worth the risk to not eat whats in front of you while its there?

Anyway, the point is, investing your money isn't smarter than buying boats and eating steak until your gut explodes. Just a matter of what your end goal is.

I say, go with the boats and hoes, and go out with a bang.

wetcircuit and SparrowsNest like this.
  23. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Well, there is the colossal ecological cost of the sheer amount of meat we're eating...

Martin_H and Ryiah like this.
  24. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Probably not quite enough. The returns off a million dollar investment with a 4% SWR is only 40k a year. And that’s before taxes. While it’s a nice bonus, it’s not normally considerd enough to retire on.

Now if the OP could pull it off twice and end up with two million dollars, the SWR looks much better.

AndersMalmgren likes this.
  25. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Where is 40k a year not liveable? That's not living large for sure but if you own your house and are fine staying put, you can be eating good every night on that.

bobisgod234, Ryiah and angrypenguin like this.
  26. Antypodish

Antypodish

I would never keep high amount of money in the bank. Just look past decade crisis for example and loss of people's money by banks.
    Invest in different assets, all over the world. Not gold, nor oil however.
    None of these are considered to be "future secured".

Other than that, I wait in 5 years time, for report from OP on first decent income ;)

27. Antypodish

Antypodish

For sure tons of countries would be great place, to not only live, but also secure family for that cash, over the period of x years.

28. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

You spoiled the reverse psychology. :)

29. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Here in sweden we have come along way with our meat production. Its expensive as hell but as eco as it can get, as a bonus its also really tasty :D I slow cooked this one on the BBQ a few days ago, man, it was the best Entrecote ever

30. jennifermcdonald

jennifermcdonald

Looks incredibly tasty. I would eat it now. I also heard that this kind of meat costs a lot of money.

AndersMalmgren likes this.
  31. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Yeah it's crazy expensive around 150 USD for it. But it's worth it both for the environment and the taste. Only meat I have eaten that is better is Japanese Kobe meat, though I don't know the ecological sustainability of Kobe.

32. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Like anywhere civilised?

Most people don’t own their own house. So you do have to take into account the costs of rent/mortgage. Prices also shoot up if you want to live near a major city. Then you need to provide for a partner and kids.

There is no way you are doing that on 40k.

33. Martin_H

Martin_H

Those are some big assumptions...

34. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

The irony is, the big, expensive cities are the places least civilized. It's a chaotic shark feeding frenzy. The air is poison, and people are mean but don't realize it cause they in a bubble. People who believe they are very nice don't realize just how mean they are. It's the environment. Beyond their control.

I live in a suburb of the biggest city in alaska. Cost of living here is above average, compared to rest of country. But it's not San Fransisco or New York. Past two years between wife and me we make 70k. Before that, 40, and before that, 20. We lived just fine all these years. The 20 and less years was more stressful, but they were very happy times in their own way.

But, tbh, during the 20 and less years we did not live in a civilized place. We lived in the woods in a shack I built. No water or electricity. Those were awesome years though, and truth is many people all over the world live happy lives just like that.

We own two houses and like five cars. We take one vacation a year. No kids but four dogs. House we live in now would be 5 million or more in a big city, I'm sure. No way we could have a decent life in big city unless I grinded really hard in a job I hate for a long time.

Big things that help:
    • No debt. Stay debt free from start by not going into debt as rule. Student debt is NOT worth it. Find another way.
    • Don't waste money. Fancy cell phone is a waste of money. Eating out is waste of money. Drinking, smoking, new cars, dumb entertainment. All waste of money.
    • Don't care about what other people are doing. Be skeptical. This will help you avoid wasting money and choosing poor goals.
    • Get away from the feeding frenzy and life becomes much easier.
    I believe the number one fault many "civilized" people have is that they don't know how to read their environment. We've insulated ourselves from the real world with our cities, so that crucial skill gets lost. It stunts ability to think critically. So people lose their confidence and independence, and you get billions who can only follow the herd.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
    Vharz, angrypenguin, Ryiah and 3 others like this.
  35. SparrowsNest

SparrowsNest

@BIGTIMEMASTER couldn't agree more, execpt for the part about "wasting" money.
    "I spent half my money on gambling, drugs and women - the other half I wasted" (about) as the saying goes.

36. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Wasted money is definitely subjective. Only thing I care about is food and clean air, so whatever anybody else is spending on is wasted money to me.

Anyway, just got to be accountable for where you put your riches.

angrypenguin likes this.
  37. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

40k USD isn't much atleast not in a western country. It's actually less than most get directly out of university

38. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

first: "isn't much" = I look down my nose at that because it makes me feel better about myself

second: source?

Ryiah likes this.
  39. Antypodish

Antypodish

Ridiculous assumption. Where you get "most" directly out of uni (Graduates), getting $40k? Source needed.

40. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

For example at saco.se they say

"Enligt Sveriges Ingenjörers lönestatistik 2018 låg lönen för nyexaminerade privatanställda civilingenjörer inom data och IT i spannet 31 000–37 500 kr (median 32 800 kr) och för högskoleingenjörer 27 000–36 000 kr (median 30 000 kr). Med 10 års erfarenhet låg lönen för civilingenjörer i spannet 40 000–61 000 (median 47 500 kr) och för högskoleingenjörer 38 000–59 000 (median 45 000 kr)."

Google translate

According to Sveriges Ingenjörer's salary statistics in 2018, the salary for newly graduated privately-employed civil engineers within data and IT in the range was SEK 31,000-37,500 (median SEK 32,800) and for higher education engineers SEK 27,000-36,000 (median SEK 30,000). With 10 years of experience, the salary for civil engineers in the range 40,000–61,000 (median SEK 47,500) and for college engineers was 38,000–59,000 (median SEK 45,000).

That amount to about 40 to 48k USD

Edit: you see similar salaries for medical interns and people with masters in economics

41. frosted

frosted

"The U.S Bureau of the Census has the annual median personal income at $31,099 in 2016"

Everything will vary from place to place, but $40k USD you're on the top half of the first world at least. Probably top quarter or better.

42. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

In all of these fields you mention, and especially as a programmer, precision in communication is really important, isn't it?

So first you say that most anybody coming out of college is gonna make 40k. Then you confirm that by showing that civil engineers in one particular country make about that much.

??? Do we need to explain whats wrong here?

43. Antypodish

Antypodish

So you see, even with these values, "most" don't equate to $40k. Yes you can earn that after uni. But our "most" will be far lower earnings than $40k. And mind, there is higher volume of new students earning below median, than above. And median, not average btw.

Of course, if we stretch $35k toward $40k, then we could fit your data into assumption ;)

Edit:
    And yes, as @BIGTIMEMASTER mentioned, as usually picking only data from place dear Andrew, where you stand. Forgetting to look much further away. World is much bigger you know? And is round :)

44. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

It's an extremely specific job field in Sweden. And still the numbers are below. Most college graduates are not civil engineers within data and IT. They are nurses, tradesmen... real work. You'd have to live in a very small cocoon to think a guaranteed job as civil engineer is the reality.

Most graduates struggle to find work to pay off their debt.

45. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I didnt say college, I said University. Offcourse you can study something with no demand (if you are stupid) and get below that line. But most people with university degree, will make above 40k.

46. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Dude, the companies cry for civil engineers. Many even get headhunted before they finnish their degree

edit: Here in sweden the median salary is 30900 SEK per month thats just below 40k USD a year. And thats include everybody, like none qualified work like factory workers etc.

47. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

If everybody was as smart as you, we'd be on Mars already!

SparrowsNest likes this.
  48. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I have a feeling we will slide over to ad hominem argumentation really soon.

49. Antypodish

Antypodish

!=
    World
    !=
    Most

Ryiah and BIGTIMEMASTER like this.
  50. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Yes, you are right. My point was, without the sarcasm, is that reality is you live in a small, very special community. This does not negate the hard work and good decisions yu make in your life, but you have to understand what kind of environment other people come from and what the ground reality is. You are not bigger than your environment. You are a product of it. Got give that respect where its due.

Ryiah and frosted like this.