Search Unity

What should I need to start game development with Unity?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by AppuAtopp, Apr 7, 2015.

1. AppuAtopp

AppuAtopp

I have been developing Android applications and also used to work with Java on Ubuntu. I am new to game development, I just installed windows 10 and Unity 5.0

Surfing over the internet I came to knew that Unity uses either C# or JavaScript for development. I'd choose C#.

What are the things I need to install to start development in Unity. I mean do I require C# library and/or IDE for C# or just installing Unity is all I required? If I still need to install anything then please provide the link to download.

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

AppuAtopp likes this.
  3. AppuAtopp

AppuAtopp

Thanks for the reply, I'll download the IDE you suggested but don't I need to download C# libraries? Without it how would Unity compile the script?

P.S. I do not have Visual Studio or anything installed in Windows.

4. Ryiah

Ryiah

Unity has its own compilers and libraries included.

AppuAtopp likes this.
  5. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Just grab Unity. It comes with everything you need to get started.

6. AppuAtopp

AppuAtopp

I installed Unity 5.0 and just start a new project but when I click on any .cs script, windows pops a window to select any application to open this type of files and that means my computer hasn't any program to open C# script.

If Unity comes with everything required then please tell me how can I open .cs script and edit it and apply to the object.

7. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Did you install MonoDevelop when you installed Unity? It should install automatically and sync up by itself.

AppuAtopp likes this.
  8. AppuAtopp

AppuAtopp

Yes, I installed MonoDelevop but I didn't install Microsoft Framework maybe that's the reason I can't open .cs files. Let me check what happens after installing ms framework.