Search Unity

What Should I Model Myself?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by HappyBoyJr, Feb 28, 2018.

1. HappyBoyJr

HappyBoyJr

This is not about how to model. This is about what to model.

I am new to the program and looking to develop some games in my spare times. I am wondering what elements I should design myself and what elements I should just download.

I already know to never use someone else's human or monster character, but is it acceptable to use a sky box, tree, road, grass, etc. made by someone else?

Thank you.

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I don't understand the question. It certainly is acceptable to use someone else's human or monster character that you have properly licensed (e.g. by buying it through the Asset Store or DigitalGift.Shop). It's also acceptable to model everything yourself, of course.

You're new to Unity, and possibly to game development in general, so you shouldn't be worrying about this. Make your game using whatever assets get the job done. Lean on the Asset Store, or make your game entirely out of spheres and cubes. It literally does not matter. The greatest risk to your project is that you will never finish it. (And actually that's fine, if you learn something from the effort and do better on your next attempt.) So don't get let stuff like this be an excuse — get coding!

3. verybinary

verybinary

It all depends on what fits into the theme and feeling of your art. If you find a skybox that doesn't look weird in your world, by all means, use it(while crediting the creator).
    There is no sense reinventing the wheel. Have a car that needs wheels? There are many talented wheel engineers that can make a wheel much better than you(Sorry if you are a certified wheel engineer) and many make wheels just to put them on cars because their cars look like a 4 year old drew them.
    The only problem I could see is a Dark Souls skybox on Rayman, but if it fits in your world, there is nothing wrong with using a skybox that was created to wrap around other peoples worlds.

HappyBoyJr likes this.
  4. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

To be clear, Unity is not a modeling program. You don't build models with Unity. You use models, and programming, and other goodies together in Unity to make a game.

If you want to learn about building 3d models, you can get started right away and for free by checking out Blender.

5. brunofortuna10

brunofortuna10

hello buddy, in unity you can´t model assets like characters, and other stuffs.But you can download from the asset store inside the unity,assets skyboxes,effects and other amazing things, you can download for free, or buying.Hope you enjoy it!

6. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

The only games that take heat for reusing models are games that look like they are just a bunch of reused assets thrown together without much consideration to making good gameplay. If your game is actually really good, few people will care that it uses 3rd party assets. PUBG for example uses a good amount of 3rd party assets and no one even cares, because it still is a fun and innovative game regardless.

7. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

It's all according to the game you're making.

Model objects that are easy for you to model.
    Or objects that you are familiar with modelling/or capable of modelling.

And if possible, take a few weeks and learn how to model, the more
    advanced stuff. Like for eg. dragons, orges, or humans etc.

Trust me when I say, as time passes, you'll look back and realise, that you
    saved a ton of money, by not having to buy many 3d models or game assets.
    Because you'll be glad, that you took the time, to learn how to model, most
    of the advanced 3d stuff too. :D

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  8. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Nothing. Modelling is boring. Pay someone else to do it. :p

BrandyStarbrite likes this.
  9. verybinary

verybinary

I disagree. modeling is not boring. uv mapping is debatable, but modeling is nice. Time intensive, but nice.

BrandyStarbrite likes this.
  10. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

Lol dude!