Search Unity

What should be the motivation for creating separate ECS "Worlds"?

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by PhilSA, Apr 11, 2018.

1. PhilSA

PhilSA

What should be the motivation for creating separate ECS "Worlds"? Looking at the World.cs class, I'm not really seeing anything obvious that indicates why there should be several different worlds

Is it just a question of allowing you to better group systems together, so that you can then do something like this?
    Code (CSharp):
    1.     public void DoSomething()
    2.     {
    3.         // Update all systems of world 1
    4.         foreach(ScriptBehaviourManager m in myWorld1)
    5.         {
    6.             m.Update();
    7.         }
    9.         // THEN update all systems of world 2
    10.         foreach (ScriptBehaviourManager m in myWorld2)
    11.         {
    12.             m.Update();
    13.         }
    14.     }

2. sngdan

sngdan

It was written in the documentation- you have separate entity managers / sync points between worlds are independent

Have not used it though

3. GabrieleUnity

GabrieleUnity

Unity Technologies

There are actually multiple cases where you might want to create multiple worlds.

Think about a server that runs multiple world instances on the same machine, or a multiplayer game that wants to run both server and client on the same process for debugging, or a system that stores worlds as snapshots to be able to query the previous state, etc.

The use cases are multiple, and it is all about flexibility for us. Allowing to run parallel isolated worlds, while still retaining very efficient ways to move entities between them, is a goal to allow game devs to cover today's and tomorrow's needs.

4. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

i guess an example off the top of my head would be if you wanted to simulate different types of physics to different degrees of accuracy, potentially changing the accuracy weighting at runtime. You could do stuff like have one world as a "rendering" world, and multiple "simulation" worlds where they just execute specific systems and physics (so one that handles fluid simulation, one that handles pathing etc etc).

5. NearAutomata

NearAutomata

@GabrieleUnity Translating this over to MMO/persistent game world terms, does that imply that going forward I can execute a single headless Unity instance for a particular zone of my game and spawn new zone instances by creating a new world? If so this might reduce the overhead of running multiple headless instances for each instance of an in-game zone.

psuong likes this.
  6. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

That is also a great use of multiple worlds.

7. Viggy1996

Viggy1996

8. 5argon

5argon

Old, but I would like to add. Imagine if you want one more complete copy (or just a subset of) of the thing you are using with 0 problem, the code that worked will still work. (As long as you didn't touch `static` in your system design, that's where multiple worlds broke)

I have multiple systems working together. One that loads a file (can only hold 1 open file), a system to edit it (work on system that opens the file) , and save the file.

Now I would like to implement a function that iterate and analyze through multiple files to paste some data in the currently open file. I don't have to implement a function to handle multiple files, I can just make a new world while inside the current world and create the same set of systems for it. Tell the system to work and grab the data out, then dispose that "worker world". (Or work on everything required inside
    using (World w = new World("Worker")) { ... }
    scope. )

Deleted User likes this.
  9. illinar

illinar

As far as I understand you can run worlds on specific threads or at least it is a planned feature. In which case, if you need to create a lot of entities but don't want to load the main thread I was told that you could create them in another world and transfer them to the main one and save main thread time (if transferring is cheap). But I need a confirmation on that.

10. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

You can use ExclusiveEntityTransaction to modify all state in a job today. (Exclusive access to the whole EntityManager)

There is no plan to run the OnUpdate part of a system on a separate thread.

MNNoxMortem and illinar like this.
  11. cordlc

cordlc

It'd be great if Worlds can run on separate threads, right now I have two main Worlds - one World that helps render / communicate with Unity, and another World that handles all the game logic, which doesn't use anything from UnityEngine. My game is turn-based, so by design I'm already forced to manually update the logic world (phases/systems need to loop until turn is resolved).

Would there be problems if I tried to put the logic world on its own separate thread? Is there anything inherent in the ECS design that demands access to the main thread? I assumed something like EntityManager and Jobs might break the whole thing (though I'm not using any Jobs yet).

edit: Just read Joachim's reply, will need to look into ExclusiveEntityTransaction...

12. illinar

illinar

Oh, I guess I just misunderstood what ExclusiveEntityTransaction is.

13. isbdnt

isbdnt

Second world can be used for replay or killcam in online game.