Search Unity

What should be I learn fiorst scripting, design, 3d modeling, animating?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Squall01992, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Squall01992

Squall01992

I should be good in one area before jumping to the another area. As of now, i'm focusing on scripting with basic of game design.

2. neoshaman

neoshaman

Script is more important, eventually you will have a functioning game, which is easier to rally people around,
    Then modeling
    then animating
    then sound design
    ???
    Then game design

Fera_KM likes this.
  3. ToshoDaimos

ToshoDaimos

Focus on scripting and game design, followed closely by marketing.

4. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

These are all complete disciplines that you'll need a few years of dedicated practice to become merely proficient in.

So try a little bit of each, and go with what suits you best.

5. Murgilod

Murgilod

Scripting, then game design. Maybe if you have time, look into the art pipeline stuff, but I feel like those two will give you the most robust skillset to build upon.

zombiegorilla likes this.
  6. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Pick one that you enjoy and are good at. Then surround yourself with people who enjoy and are good at the others.

zombiegorilla and Ryiah like this.
  7. AkiraWong89

AkiraWong89

@Squall01992
    I suggest you learn the category that you like the most first - Art & Coding, choose one.
    After focusing on one field including working paid job maybe 3~4 years later, study another one.

Art and coding are interdependent, they are the core foundation of game development.
    So I strongly suggest you to have both side of knowledge, the more the better. Just art and coding.
    Other fields like audio, visual effects, particle systems and so on are optional, it's up to you.
    You can hire people for those job as freelancing or easily find them online.

After you learned both art and programming, you will realized making game becomes easier a lots.
    Since you understand those foundation. You can technically talk to artist and programmer more easier too.

Game design can be study in not so purposely. Ideas are everywhere, all people got ideas.
    The key is marketing sense, this is very important if you want to make successful games.
    Learn how to self-promote, how to sell products, unique selling points, the game values.

You can then learn business as well if you feel interested.
    Relationship skills, presentation skills, critical thinking skills, art of argument and so on.

Keep it up.;)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
    Ryiah likes this.
  8. Billy4184

Billy4184

All of them. Make a simple game from beginning to end, and market it. If you find you're not good at something or struggle with it, either improve or outsource it.

9. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

Scripting is a good one to start with. But Billy4184 is right, all are important.

My suggestion is, during your scripting learning process, learn some
    basic 3d modelling and animation etc. They kinda go hand in hand.

Sound design, is another good one too.