Search Unity

Question What setup do I use to target both Oculus Quest 2 and Vive headsets?

Discussion in 'VR' started by spvn, Feb 18, 2021.

1. spvn

spvn

I'm so confused after all sorts of googling. I understand that there's a new OpenXR plugin from Unity but it's still in preview and therefore highly unstable. So if I can't use that, what exactly should I use?

2. NemesisWarlock

NemesisWarlock

I wouldn't say it was unstable, but it is certainly missing features.

You can currently publish to all desktop platforms that support OpenXR (Rift/Quest Via Link, Windows MR and Vive/Index). Android builds (Quest Standalone), and haptics support should be in hopefully by the time 2020.3 rolls around sometime between March and May.

3. TreyK-47

TreyK-47

Unity Technologies

With much of the PC VR ecosystem migrating to OpenXR, we recommend using the OpenXR Plugin for the Vive. For Quest 2, we recommend using the Oculus XR Plugin.

PsiconLab likes this.
  4. PsiconLab

PsiconLab

This is great to know. I have a solid set up and workflow for Quest development but really want to add in support for Vive/Rift that I haven't yet tried or tested. I'm really hoping I can use a single project and build for all 3 headsets.

5. PsiconLab

PsiconLab

I was also confused trying to work out how to develop for Quest in 2020. I'd recommend the new 2020 XR system over the 2019 XR setup. I have a document with my Quest set-up I'm happy to share with you if you'd like. Building for PC and Android from the same project will probably require deactivating some Oculus stuff and switch to PC mode I assume, but I'd hope the XR system set-up and project assets etc would remain the same, although I haven't tried this yet.

6. mrstruijk

mrstruijk

Is this still the recommended way of going about things?

7. the_real_apoxol

the_real_apoxol

Unity Technologies

For oculus native apps the Oculus XR plugin is still the preferred route as Oculus is still working on their extended Oculus Support with the OpenXR plugin. For Vive the OpenXR plugin is the preferred route and if you are using OpenXR for PC then it will also work for quest via link.

8. mrstruijk

mrstruijk

Thanks for the info! I will check out Oculus XR at some point soon.

For now I can confirm that OpenXR at least works on a Quest (1 and 2) build. Some features are missing AFAIK (like hand-tracking), but a lot of the basics are seemingly ok.

Our project doesn't launch for another year or so. @the_real_apoxol any chance you know what Oculus' timeline is for their OpenXR support? I have heard they are (actively) pivoting in that direction, but don't know much else.

9. the_real_apoxol

the_real_apoxol

Unity Technologies

No public timeline that I am aware of unfortunately.

10. neterthomas

neterthomas

Would you be able to send me your Quest set-up document? I've been messing around with different package versions for a while and can't seem to figure out a working set-up.