Search Unity

What screen recorders are you using?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ChrisSch, Nov 23, 2015.

1. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

I personally like OBS the most for my game dev endeavors. Even for streaming and recording gameplay. Its really come in handy. Some of you probably saw it in my asset vids. :p
    Its free, opensource, what more could you ask? :)

I tried Bandicam, and Fraps too, but they aren't free and didn't get very good results with them. Fraps is really smooth if you have the hdd space to record uncompressed, but I don't.

2. CaoMengde777

CaoMengde777

obs
    camstudio
    fraps
    greenshot .. for screenshots

3. Cascho01

Cascho01

Fraps
    Didn´t hear about obs before, looks cool.
    Live-Streaming to Youtube is also a subject I never tried, blame on me :eek:

4. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I use Rylstim Screen Recorder. Nothing fancy, and it glitches out occasionally. But it works well enough for my purposes.

I then do editing in Windows Movie Maker. I should upgrade that, its pretty rough. I would like a few more tools like picture in picture, multiple sound options. In fact I need a decent sound recorder/editor too.

So yeah, my set up is pretty rough. But it works well enough for a hobbyist.

Speaking of which I should release some new videos. 4.6 is kind of old news now. Anyone got any requests?

5. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

Cool. OBS can be a pain to set up, because it has a lot of options, but that's a good thing in the end. :) There's lots of guides for it.

Power Director seems to be the best video editing software out there. Its on sale right now with huge discounts, because of black friday. Here's a top 10 list. I tried Sony Vegas once but had nothing but issues with it. Power Director does the job great. I don't need much for video editing at the moment, just some simple text over videos and for it to render properly. But Vegas would always throw me errors or render in crappy quality or with huge size. And I spent a lot of time googling for rendering settings and guides for it.

Kiwasi likes this.
  6. MaxieQ

MaxieQ

People either don't know or forget that Blender, yeah the 3d package, has a competent if no-frills NLE video editor built in. That's what I use.

And I use OBS for my recordings. That said, it can't record child windows for some reason, unless you record the monitor.

7. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

Yeah I forgot about that. Blender can do a lot of things. I use Blender a lot, but never actually tried editing a video in it. :D

8. LaneFox

LaneFox

Bandicam, GifCam and Cloudshot.

9. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Shadowplay works nicely in my experience.

Windows 10 has native game recording functionality built into it too, but I haven't used it personally.

Trexug likes this.
  10. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

There's a mac version for obs? I'll have to give that a try. I have tried a lot of software for recording and the only one that didn't murder my computer performance so far has been screenflow.

11. BFGames

BFGames

ShadowPlay is great!

12. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

Hmm was meaning to try Shadowplay. Besides game dev vids screen recording tools, I've also been looking for a way to stream gameplay to my girlfriend, without twitch or youtube, with ease. So far the only thing I found is Skype screen sharing. Works surprisingly well (ofc the game has to be windowed or borderless), but the problem is there is no sound, so gotta play over speaker so the mic catches the game audio too. Hacked up solution yeah. :D

OBS proved to be the fastest for me. And you have a lot of control over settings and quality and tweaking. For some games such as Fallout 4 and Killing Floors 2, the encoding has to be set to Nvidia NVENC instead of x264, or it will constantly lag (in video not gameplay) for no reason. I mean the kind of lag that makes the whole thing unwatchable. 1 sec of video, 2 sec of frozen pic.

13. mgear

mgear

14. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

I wonder if that one is meant to be a competitor to xsplit

I definitely want to try it then. I don't really record videos anymore but I'm sure in the not too distant future I'll want to upload some videos on the sixense stem. If the previous delay was the last one and we'll have them by 2016.

15. MaxieQ

MaxieQ

Yes, for Mac OS 10.8 and newer.

OBS uses hardware encoding, ie it uses your video card to capture video - which means that filesizes are great compared to programs like Fraps. Fraps is mental. A one minute recording can take several gigabytes. A twenty minute recording with OBS (or ShadowPlay) only takes up like 2-300 Mb.

Tomnnn likes this.
  16. LaneFox

LaneFox

I use Open Broadcaster for that.

17. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

I output PNG files then make them into a movie later.

Polymorphik likes this.
  18. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Wow! Yea, same thing with screenflow. That's why I was so surprised about the performance of it, since each minute of recording on my 2012 retina screen was 1gb. And it didn't have the option to record a window, it recorded the whole screen every time.

Sounds like obs is a godsend for this category of software. Or fraps, screenflow etc are just that bad.

I first heard about obs for broadcasting when it was adopted by mr bacon donut, of twitch.

19. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

QuickTime. It does screen and device and is free/built in.

passerbycmc and angrypenguin like this.
  20. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

I tried a number of different things including Camstudio, Fraps and OBS.
    None worked for me to give a decently smooth video.

Finally after more researching I found and purchased Action! and it has worked the best of any I have tried.

21. jerotas

jerotas

I use OBS as well, after having tons of problems with numerous computers using Fraps. OBS is great. And it's free, so no reason to buy anything.

22. DugelStudios

DugelStudios

Quicktime.

passerbycmc likes this.
  23. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

HD quality lighting and shadow setup in Unity 5 for mobile would save me hours of R&D later.

24. N1warhead

N1warhead

I love Camtasia. Not really meant for game recording, but nevertheless it's pretty decent. Love the video editing tools that comes with it:D But aside from that, I use Fraps..

My Radeon R9 290 came with something called Raptr, every time I play a game (or even start Unity) all the windows say press like page up to record. Haven't used it though.

25. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

I think Fraps could be great too if you had a dedicated 1TB or more hdd for it. When I had an older computer Fraps was the best option, the only problem was that it records uncompressed so the size is crazy. Haven't tried it with my new PC though, because I still don't have room. Could afford everything but not hdds too. :D

N1warhead likes this.
  26. Polymorphik

Polymorphik

Dis guy...haha

27. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Its actually a decent strategy if you are exporting a render from a modelling program. That way you can mess with the frames in small usable chunks before combining them into a movie. It also means if the render crashes half way through you don't need to start over from the beginning. That can suck.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  28. neginfinity

neginfinity

Fraps and CamStudio. Fraps when I need quick recording speed, CamStudio when I need to record ui.

By the way, does anyone know about simple (free) screenshot grabbing software that can, when I press a key, grab a screen (on all monitors, current monitor, or just current window, depending on hotkey) and save it into predetermined location with filename that has programname_YYYYMMDDHHMMSS format? (Without me clicking anything else, or going through 15 dialogues or selecting screen region, or clicking anything with mouse, etc).

With exception of fraps (which can't capture desktop) all the software I saw can't do the "programname" part.

29. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Mac?

30. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Fraps only works nice up until certain resolution... I stopped using it when I started gaming on 2560x1440 monitor, as hard drives just can't write fast enough if you're recording with fraps at 60 fps with that resolution. If I remember correctly, it was something like 250 MB of data per second.

frosted and Tomnnn like this.
  31. neginfinity

neginfinity

Windows 7.

32. Philip-Rowlands

Philip-Rowlands

I just realised that I never considered doing screen recordings. Looks like I have a way to fix that.

33. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Sorry, not too difficult on a Mac, I have no clue for win. Good luck!

34. neginfinity

neginfinity

Alright. Guess one of those days I'll get angry enough and finally fork Lightscreen and add that feature myself.

zombiegorilla likes this.
  35. ostrich160

ostrich160

I use Fraps for conventional videos, but my main one is ScreenToGif, which does exactly what it sounds like. I find gifs come across much better

36. Kronnect

Kronnect

For Mac, definitely Screenflick is a great choice. I'm quite happy with it and we use it for our demos and tutorials.

37. ameele

ameele

38. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

NVIDIA Share (previously known as ShadowPlay).

It requires to have a GeForce Card though, but recording 1080p videos comes with a little performance impact only on my setup. Really happy with the software!
    http://www.geforce.com/geforce-experience/share

39. frosted

frosted

Fraps, OBS, ShareX.

Fraps for the most detail sensitive recording.
    OBS for everything else.
    ShareX for animated gif/screenshot.

ShareX is really handy, one click upload to imgur is nice for quick shares and the animated gif recording is so fast and easy.

40. mysticfall

mysticfall

41. particlemars

particlemars

I used Quicktime Screen recorder. Unity should add red screen recorder button right next to play button. Allows users upload or stream on youtube unity tutorials.

42. aer0ace

aer0ace

43. yoonitee

yoonitee

For mac : quicktime+soundflower
    For Windows: Fraps

For screencasting: OBS

Used to use CamStudio but just got choppy video with it.

44. passerbycmc

passerbycmc

On Mac that is just built in, command+shift+4 will let you drag a box around a area to capture, and command+shift+3 will capture the whole screen, both of these will save the png's to the desktop. If you add control to either combo so (command+shift+control+4) and (command+shift+control+3) it will forgo saving to the desktop and just save the image into your clipboard so you can immediately paste it to a chat or somewhere else.

On windows you can get this functionality with ShareX

neginfinity and zombiegorilla like this.
  45. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

It's kinda nice now, they added all those options to the touch bar, so you only have to hit cmd+shift+4 and you can choose any of those options and even where to save it.

46. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Speaking of screen recorders, can anyone point me in the correct direction for recording iPhone device footage on a PC?

47. neginfinity

neginfinity

I'll check it out. I have been using modified lightscreen for a long time, and as a result i have a huge number of "screenshot-YYYMMDDHHMMSS.png" files without clear indication of what it is all about.

--edit--

Close to what I had in mind. Exept that it can't detect currently active program on printscreen keypress, only on alt+printscreen. Still, I think I'll replace lightscreen with this.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
    passerbycmc likes this.
  48. alexsssanderson

alexsssanderson

Hi my friend, I use iSpring Free Cam, it works pretty good

49. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner

I use Quicktime too. It’s built-in, efficient, and captures both video and audio.

50. Antypodish

Antypodish