Search Unity

What scale should I use when drawing tiles?

Discussion in '2D' started by DEV971, Sep 24, 2018.

1. DEV971

DEV971

Hey I'm just planning to start with a small 2D isometric game, I would like to draw them in PS and already downloaded an isometric grid file.
    Besides that, wonder if there are guidelines on determining the size of the tiles.
    Should I just make them big enough and then scale them down?
    The size should always be power of 2?
    I'll really appreciate any suggestion you can give me, I'm a programmer and as you can see I know almost nothing about design.
    Thanks!

2. PGJ

PGJ

I don't think there are any guidlines.

It is always easier to down scale graphics, so make them big.

The size of the texture need to be a power of two. However, the actual graphics doesn't really have to be a power of two. Since you will use a Sprite Atlas, the size of graphics shouldn't matter as the Sprite Atlas automatically will be a power of 2.

DEV971 likes this.
  3. halley

halley

Find the lowest density display you would want to support as a great experience for your user. Draw tiles that look good at that pixel density, and give you a useful field of view for the gameplay. Or future-proof yourself and draw at 2x or 4x that scale, and scale down for the low-density devices while they're still a part of your market. As PGJ says, don't worry TOO much about power-of-two scale per tile, since the atlas gathering step will do that for you. Of course, if you make everything (power-of-two+1) pixels wide, you may end up wasting a bit of space at the edge of the atlas where it could not fit one more tile.

DEV971 likes this.
unityunity