Search Unity

What renderer to use ? URP vs Built-In + Some DOTS discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sergey_ksubox, Sep 11, 2019.

1. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

It is and... sadly it's not bad advice. Or at least, use recent Unity as if it's Unity 3. Sure there have been a ton smaller quality of life changes and under the hood improvements since then, but I'm really struggling to think of any big Unity features post 3.x that aren't more trouble than they're worth.

But to get back to the topic: the saddest part of this thread, is that it is almost 2 years old, and the answer still isn't a clear "Use URP, it's all around better than built-in".

If anything the thread has started favoring built-in as time went by.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
    Wattosan and april_4_short like this.
  2. neginfinity

neginfinity

One nice thing about LWRP when I had to use it is that sampling gradients was easy. This made creating skyboxes simple.

One not so nice thing aboutr LWRP was that for an unknown reason the editor kept trying to destroy configuration of gradients at random points of time, and in order to restore the previous configuration I had to rely on version control.

Also, limit of number of point lights. The limitation feel like we're dealing with a game from 2000s. It is back then the games had limits like 4..8 lights per object if hardware T&L was enabled.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
  3. RemDust

RemDust

Sorry for digging this topic but after 2 days of try and errors to create a "blur plane" for my 2d game (using 2D renderer), I'm very much thinking about switching back to Built-In Renderer !

I've found a lot of nice simple shaders to use on Built In R where I cannot get a solution for blurring my background sprites with 2D Renderer after 2 days of research...

Camera stacking, Renderer Textures... I don't even know what else to try ^^'