Search Unity

What programs are best for rendering and creating Shaders?

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by MorningStarz, Aug 3, 2016.

1. MorningStarz

MorningStarz

I'd prefer to make shaders that can be imported and used in Unity. I normally work with Blender and really love the node editor with cycles and such, but apparently it's currently impossible to use cycles shaders/materials in Unity. I've tried Maya but it's just too confusing and everything is some what annoying and hard to understand compared to what I do know for Blenders Node editor, Maya just feels too alien. I'd prefer to not touch Autodesk anymore and use something more... Independent from a modeling program; any good programs out there to be recommended that share similarities to Blenders Node editor that can create usable shaders for unity?

2. BIG-BUG

BIG-BUG

There are a few tools in the asset store to create shaders using nodes. Shader Forge is the most popular option there.

I don't think there are any external programs / modelers which can generate Unity shaders.

If you want to generate textures to use in existing shaders in Unity there are a few tools out there. I like Filter Forge and Genetica. Also there is Substance Designer, which is probably the preferred tool thanks to the tight integration with Unity and the possibiltity to generate textures at runtime.

3. roids1

roids1

You should try renderman its by pixar and it was used to make star wars and finding dory! Here's the link!
    https://renderman.pixar.com/view/renderman
    Note: I'm 13 so aplogies if this doesent turn out as you expected but I believe this can be used for games to!