Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question What program to start out with for digital drawing?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by diaoke, Nov 4, 2023.

1. diaoke

diaoke

As someone looking to get into digital art (drawing/painting in general) I've read up a lot about Photoshop, Krita, Clip Studio Paint, Medibang... like this: https://pctechtest.com/20-best-digital-art-drawing-software , but still can't settle for any one of them.

Right now Krita and CSP seem to be the more likely contenders, but I remain undecided. Money is not a problem so I'd like to go for the best one.

So, which one do you use? What are the pros and cons between them? Any general tips for a beginner are always welcome too ofcourse.

2. ChaosDawgGames

ChaosDawgGames

Nothing wrong in trying out free software to get to grips with computer design.
    The Adobe software, like a lot of the paid for software is very sophisticated - I'll grant you that, but try
    Gimp II, Inkscape and FireAlpaca first - all free.

3. kdgalla

kdgalla

I recently started using Affinity. It's pretty good, but I don't really have enough experience with competing apps (i.e. Clip Studio) to say whether it's better or not.

One thing I do recommend is to NOT buy CorelDraw suite. It used to be a cheaper alternative to Photoshop back in the old days, but now it's just overly expensive for very basic functionality that feels like it's stuck in 2003.

4. ChaosDawgGames

ChaosDawgGames

CorelDraw. I remember getting a free version of that as a cover disk on a PC mag back in the 90s. I used it for years. No need to uodate, rebuy, rent. Just loaded it onto my desk top and used it. I was using it so long I had no idea how much things had moved on, It's a bit like having a washing machine from the 50s that never broke - so you never replaced it and having no idea what modern machines were doing.

5. spiney199

spiney199

Start with the free tools first, like Kirta: https://krita.org/en/

No point paying for anything without knowing whether you enjoy actually doing it or not.

6. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

You can try Krita or another one called Gimp. I do some of my digital drawings and art in Gimp, which is similar to photoshop. But Krita is really good too.

7. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

adamgolden and kdgalla like this.