Search Unity

Question What plane detection algorithm is used in AR Foundation's detection module?

Discussion in 'AR' started by Chenhaviv, Jul 13, 2021.

1. Chenhaviv

Chenhaviv

Hello everyone,
    I was wondering whether the plane detection algorithm used by Unity's AR Foundation package is something that is patented by Unity or rather is it something that came out of Academia.
    I want to try to implement a plane detection algorithm myself as part of a university project, and I wondered what the name of the algorithm used by the AR Foundation package. If it is patented: does someone know a good plane detection algorithm that I can try to implement on my own?
    Thanks in advance,
    Chen.

2. DreamPower

DreamPower

ARFoundation doesn't implement features like plane detection itself, it calls the native features of the device being used. Think of ARFoundation like a wrapper, letting you use the same API calls to manage many different AR devices, each which does things slightly differently, and sends the output to Unity.

For example, when you have an iOS device running ARKit, ARFoundation will set the ARKit ARWorldTrackingConfiguration.planeDetection flags, which causes ARKit to start detecting planes and then adding (and updating) ARPlaneAnchors for each detected plane, which Unity listens for and creates geometry in the Unity scene based on the returned data for each anchor.

KyryloKuzyk likes this.