Search Unity

  1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question What physics type do I do?

Discussion in 'Physics' started by TheKrazyDev, Apr 1, 2022.

  1. TheKrazyDev


    Sep 8, 2021
    Hello there! So I'm making my 1st indie game. Its an overhead shooter. But what physics type would I want to use for the walls and player? I usually just do dynamic and disable gravity, but I want to know the best one to do. For movement of the player I'm just doing translate for those who are wondering.
  2. RafaelGomes00


    Aug 13, 2020
    Is your game 2D or 3D?

    Either of those you can have just mundane colliders, that wont let the player pass through a wall.
  3. MelvMay


    Unity Technologies

    May 24, 2013
    Type of what? Body-type? Rigidbody? Rigidbody2D?

    "Walls" and "Player" are not a description of a physics dynamic. Maybe by "Walls" you mean something that doesn't move? If so then you've answered your own question: Static.

    Maybe by "Player" you mean something that does move? If so then again, you've answered your own question: Dynamic. Unless of course you want to move it and it not to have a collision response in which case: Kinematic.

    Translate of what? The Transform? If so, never do this with physics. The Rigidbody(2D) is there to write to the Transform, not you. Use the Rigidbody(2D) API.