Search Unity

What parts of the object oriented side of unity apply to DOTS?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Silenus3, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Silenus3

Silenus3

Beginner here , I got my curiosity piqued by Unity and decided to dive in , how should I approach learning the object oriented side of unity in this period of transition ? should I avoid certains parts ?

what parts of OOP are applicable to DOTS conceptually and practically ?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  2. I think you should not leave anything out (IMGUI maybe, and alike, what is already deprecated and has replacement). But it's very useful to know how the OOP-Gameobject side of Unity works, even if later you will work in ECS. So just learn how Unity works, a lot of things will be translated to ECS as well.

3. Silenus3

Silenus3

will doing some tutorials on 2018 versions 3.2 and 4.2 suffice for that aim ?

4. Owen-Reynolds

Owen-Reynolds

Unity is very generic. Almost everything in it is standard game engine, or even standard programming in general. You don't have to worry about learning some oddball part that no one ever needed to know before, and never will again.

As far as tutorials, in general those are entertainment. Find something simple you want to do, try it, then Search for how other people have done it. Get one of the old sample projects, play it, then pick one thing to look and see how they did it.