Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

What part of Unity is the real, authorized UNITY?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by dpmontes, Nov 13, 2020.

1. dpmontes

dpmontes

The company that I work for has approved Unity for use and we have professional licenses. All 3rd party software must be approved for use and Unity went through that same vetting process.

My question is, how far does that approval go? Are the packages in Package Manager considered to be just as much a part of Unity, in terms of them being authorized software, and the only reason they are made available via the package manager is so that users have the option to install rather than bloating the project from the start? What about scoped registries where any company or anyone can add their packages to be installed by others via Package Manager? This is starting to sound less authorized. And then there is the Asset Store. I would consider anything on the asset store to not be a part of Unity and to require approval.

My company requires that every 3rd party software be approved. Unity has been approved. But I'm not sure where to draw the line for added software such as the Unity's Package Manager, my own scoped packages, and the asset store.

2. PraetorBlue

PraetorBlue

Why are you asking this question here? This is a question for whoever in your company is vetting software for use in your company.

Bunny83, Joe-Censored and JoNax97 like this.
  3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Questions regarding your company's software approval policies should be directed to the people in your company enforcing those policies.

Bunny83, PraetorBlue and JoNax97 like this.
  4. dpmontes

dpmontes

My company's position is that "Unity has been approved." So if I want to install some new software via Unity's Package Manager, do that software already fall under their existing approval of Unity software or is this software separate and therefore require individual approval as does any 3rd party software?

5. dpmontes

dpmontes

The reason that I can't just direct this question to my company is because their only question is "Is this new software Unity software or third party?" So I need to have a clear distinction for myself to relay to them. I need to know where to draw the line.

6. Vryken

Vryken

All packages come with an author name.

In the package manager, all packages that have "Unity Technologies" as the author name are first-party packages developed and supported by the Unity team.
    Same goes for assets on the Asset Store as well.

You can find all packages by Unity Technologies by filtering the ones listed under "Unity Registry".

You typically have to go out of your way to add third-party packages, such as importing them from a GitHub repository.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
    dpmontes likes this.
  7. dpmontes

dpmontes

Thanks, so one specific package is Newtonsoft JSON. I had to add a dependency to the manifest file so that the Newtonsoft JSON package appeared in the package manager. So that was making me think it wasn't 1st party software. But I see it appears under "Unity Registry" and is authored by "Unity Technologies". So that is fine than.

8. PraetorBlue

PraetorBlue

Json.NET is an open source JSON serialization library created by NewtonSoft. The particular package in the Unity asset store is published by Unity but it is essentially that same open source project. https://www.newtonsoft.com/json

What that all means is again a question for your company.

Bunny83 likes this.