Search Unity

1. Unity 2020.2 has been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

What other software do you use with unity for Sound Art etc?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Sylvir, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Sylvir

Sylvir

Just curious what other software is out there that you guys have found that works well for other various aspects of game development such as art assets, sound assets etc?

2. james_m_russell

james_m_russell

I use Ableton Live for music/sound effects. you can get the Live "Intro" for about $100 although i'm fairly sure it comes free with a few midi controllers. I typically use Massive, which is a Software Synth from native instruments.

I'll be honest though, Sound design/music production is a whole different world, easily as complex as game development itself. (and can be very expensive).

that said, I know there are some much simpler free tools out there. I have not used them, since I already had the music production stuff when I started with Unity.

3. tedthebug

tedthebug

I'm learning to use pyxel edit & bfxr is good for 8-bit sounds. Bfxr is free while pyxel edit is really cheap.

Sylvir likes this.
  4. Sylvir

Sylvir

how do you like pyxel so far? I have a program called spriter pro and i am considering trying to learn it a little bit. seems like it might be useful for 2d animations and stuff in the future. I am still trying to find some good options for external asset creation though.

5. tedthebug

tedthebug

I found pyxel easy to use. I have the artistic skill of a dead fish but still managed to churn stuff out that was a least recognisable, & I made my first animated stuff (spinning coin from a tutorial & an explosion I made up) & they imported into unity & worked so easily I don't even know how I actually got it to work. The only downside is there aren't many tutorials but there are plenty of pixel art tutorials you can find to at least get the visual side done.

6. jhocking

jhocking

Maya or Blender are the tools I use for 3D art.

7. Martin_H

Martin_H

http://reaper.fm/

I can't recommend that DAW enough for its flexibility, support, company ethics, price, update pace and featureset. Doesn't come with good bundled synths, you'll want to buy those elsewhere or use free VSTs.

8. Sylvir

Sylvir

i would love to pick up maya, when i was in collage that is the program i learned and loved it.. sadly its just so dang expensive to get anything other then the student key. I am thinking i will have to learn blender its just a bit daunting afer knowing that i can do so well in maya allready

unityunity