Search Unity

What? No Call for Lightwave Files?

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by bryantay, Apr 12, 2006.

1. bryantay

bryantay

Am i off base in thinking that Lightwave has a larger user base then Cinema4D and Blender? Don't get me wrong, C4D is a nice tool and has comeon strong in recent years. I used it for a long time. But i had to eventually switch over to Lightwave because there was so much more developer support.

It would be nice if Unity could spend time getting the Lightwave importers up to par because as of right now it is severely lacking...

...Pretty Please?

2. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

I'd love to improve lightwave support.

We have tried to talk to newtek but they have not shown a lot of interest in working with us on implementing a direct lightwave importer.
    Maxon was much more supportive.

That said, if you have any specific lightwave issue with the importer please do Report a bug on it, and we will forward the bug to newtek or find a workaround on our side.

3. pete

pete

i vote for this too as i'm using lw. the fbx exporter is doing ok by me for now. native support would be a good thing though...

[edit: posted at the same time as joachim... newtek's in the midst of trying to release lw9. bet after they get that handled they'll have more time to think about stuff like this.]

4. bryantay

bryantay

I've been using Anark for some time for similar things that I'm wanting to use Unity for. They created their own exporters for the various applications. Is this not a route that Unity could follow?

http://www.anark.com/downloads/down_dev_mac.asp[/url]

5. bryantay

bryantay

See Thread :wink:

http://forum.otee.dk/viewtopic.php?t=1592

6. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

I found a workaround for the bug where the lightwave exporter assigns textures to the wrong materials.

I was able to import a mesh with multiple textures and Unity generated the materials correctly.

If you have any fbx files exported from lightwave please send them through via Report Bug.app, please also include textures.

The files will be used only for internal testing.

7. bryantay

bryantay

This is great news! I'll send some files As soon as i can...

8. bryantay

bryantay

Joachim Ante,

Any luck with the files I sent? I'm keeping my fingers crossed... :)

9. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Yes. They import perfectly fine now.

10. bryantay

bryantay

Yummy! How do i get my hands on this piece of goodness!