Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Resolved What networking package is the best for my game?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Chazzwazzler, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Chazzwazzler

Chazzwazzler

I am currently making a 2D 1v1 pvp game, and I'm wanting to find what networking package I should use so that I can actually make the system. The problem is, there are so many of them, so I have no idea which one to use. I'd prefer the networking system to be easy to use as I have never used one before, but any would work if there isn't an easy to use one. Which networking package is best for me?

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Not enough information, as there's a lot more to consider. Whether you need online match making, only direct IP, how you want to deal with players usually being behind a NAT if you want to support online play, what platforms you're targeting, whether you want a cloud service or hosting your own dedicated server, what ongoing costs are you looking at, and more.

Some of the most popular choices with what you've stated are one of the flavors of Photon Cloud, or going with Mirror. I'm sure MLAPI is picking up steam since it is generally well regarded and Unity picked it up to be the officially supported networking solution for projects not using DOTS.

luke-unity likes this.