Search Unity

What networking API should I use to make server system like this...

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by IAMBATMAN, Jun 22, 2017.

1. IAMBATMAN

IAMBATMAN

I'd like to have the same server system as unturned.

I could download unturned, turn a shortcut of unturned into headless mode, forward some ports or rent a dedicated server, and a few other little things. And my server would show up in the server list in unturned.

I'm looking forward to making a drop in and drop out small open world shooter. What package would be best to do something like above, where there's a masterserver that lists all player hosted servers on it and the community can make servers when ever they want and keep them running 24/7?

2. xVergilx

xVergilx

If you're looking for a master server you should definately take a look at Master Server Framework, since it's free and awesome, and you can get it from the asset store. Keep in mind that you would have to implement some of the features by yourself, and also host a server on your own. Or rent a VPS.

3. TwoTen

TwoTen

Any Networking API. Unet would work fine. Just detect whether you are running headless. And use Start params for Port. Then make a matchmaking server. (There is a dirty one for Dev testing in on my github in the signature). Or use Steams or playfabs (or any service). And you're good to go.

Just on server start. Send a message to the matchmaker. Then pop it a heartbeat every 5-20 seconds to let it know it's still there. Then when it shutsdown, once again let it know.

4. IAMBATMAN

IAMBATMAN

UNet would be fine?! That's good news!

Is there some kind of guide for this? I just don't know where to start.
    I've made multiplayer games with photon, and simple ones with UNet.
    But both times all the server business was handled for me. So I'm new to this part.

5. TwoTen

TwoTen

Guide for what? There is a dirty matchmaker you can use for free on my github. Atleast for development.
    To start the server just use NetworkManager.singleton.StartServer(). And to connect the client. Just get a list of servers from the matchmaker. Spawn some form of UI button. And when pressed. Take that servers IP and port and set it. Then call NetworkManager.singleton.StartClient().